Reload this Page >

First trip to Paris

Search

First trip to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Sue

First trip to Paris

Hello all. I will be planning a trip to Paris for my husband and I this summer and would like some advice. Believe it or not, I've been a travel agent for 15 years, however the agencies I've worked at never handled much European travel. A trip to Paris has been a dream of mine since I was a young girl. I want it to be a romantic, wonderful time. We can take about a week. I want to see Paris. I'd like to see some of the French Riviera and some wine country. Perhaps I don't have enough time for all of this. I am interested in a smaller, romantic, Parisian hotel. I don't want to go all the way to Europe and stay at a Holiday Inn, if you know what I mean. Would it be wise for us first-timers to rent a car in Paris for travel to the countryside? What hotels would you recommend?<BR>Any other advice? I'm my own worst travel agent here, driving myself crazy. Thanks.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Rex

Hi fellow Buckeye-(ette)!<BR><BR>I am not surprised that you feel a little uncomfortable with this despite having a travel agent background. I was formerly next door neighbors with a travel agent, and got to know many of the staff who worked there. And many of them had never been to Europe.<BR><BR>15 years working? Then this trip deserves 15 days, I'd say. 5 days in Paris and surrounding; 5 days in Burgundy or upper Provence (Rhone valley) and 5 days on the Cote d'Azur.<BR><BR>Despite my familarity with Paris, I do not have a favorite list of Paris hotels. Maybe St Sulpice? (but I have never set foot in the place). Can give you references about it if you wish, including some kind remarks from the New York Times from just last year. Or check out www.webscapades.com - - english-speaking American telephone agents who rep a dozen or more hotels; probably generally decent (I got one for my dad through them once).<BR><BR>Driving away from Paris? sure!! Check out www.autoeurope.com or others (I can provide names if you wish).<BR><BR>And keep coming back here with more questions as your plans evolve.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex Bickers<BR>Westerville, Ohio<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Karen

Dear Sue: We took the Tauck tour "A week in France" several years ago and it was great. It started in the south and then we went by train to Paris. I would suggest that you follow Tauck's itinerary. The hotel that they used in Nice was on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean which I will always remember. We rented a car in the south as we arrived before the tour began. It was not too difficult driving. Paris was great. Once you master the metro, it is so easy to get around there. Make sure you get the carte musee tickets at the metro which saved us time and money in museum admissions. Do not miss Avignon. Paris was more than I expected it to be. An absolutely beautiful city. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Wendy

Hi Sue,<BR><BR>Here are a few of my favorite hotels, although you didn't specify budget!<BR><BR>Top choice, though pricey: Either Relais Christine, in the 6th; or Reine de Pavillion in the 3rd ( Place des Vosges)These two are small hotels with typically small Parisian rooms, but have a lot of atmosphere and are, I think, quite romantic. Relais Christine is a converted monastery, lovely place, you walk out and you're about ten-fifteen minute walk to Notre Dame, less to the Latin Quarter, again ten-fifteen to the Louvre, and no time at all to Blvd. St. Germaine. Really my favorite arrondissement in all of Paris. Pavillion de la Reine is in an area full of wonderful boutiques, galleries, and of course, the Marais!<BR>Two other choices recommended by French friends who now live in New YOrk: La Fleurie, and Hotel D'Aubusson.<BR><BR>Good luck! Have a great time!<BR>Second choice, somewhat cheaper: Hotel D'Aubusson

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Leslie

Sue - Rex gives good advice about extending the length of your trip if at all possible so you can see a bit more outside of Paris.<BR><BR>However, if that is not possible, then my opinion is that you really don't have time to see Paris and go to the French Riviera within one week's time.<BR><BR>You could easily spend a whole week in Paris but I, for one, like a little balance and the French countryside and smaller towns are so lovely. I would recommend you spend at least 4 full days in Paris, then rent a car and visit a more nearby area using the remaining 3 days, returning the rental car to the airport on the day of your departure. A logical choice would be to go to Chartres and the Loire Valley to visit some of the chateaus and also to Amboise to visit Leonardo Da Vinci's home (Clos Luce). Another area to visit would be the Normandy Peninsula (Bayeux, Mont. San Michelle, Honfleur, seeing Giverny enroute)<BR><BR>You should either see Versailles as a day trip from Paris or visit Fontainbleu or Vaux en Vicomte while on your driving tour.<BR><BR>Since driving is Paris is not something you want to do, I recommend you train to the nearest town on your itinerary and pick up the car there.<BR><BR>Bon Vacance!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Greg Gallagher

I agrree with just about all the posters here. One week may not be enough for Paris alone. My wife and I averaged 10km a day (her first time there) and still I couldn't show her all the sites. The ChampsD'Elysee has become a bit touristy ( although still haven't missed it in 6 trips there). Stay on the left bank if possible. If you can't extend your stay don't sweat it you'll go back. I do again and again. One very smart bit of advice. I used to race cars when I was younger. Don't drive in Paris if you can avoid it. Take the TGV out and get a car outside of the city. You will then be able to drive a little easier and enjoy the wonderful country side. Any way you do it. Enjoy! Savor every moment there like the food.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Ron

If all you have is a week, I suggest that you stay in Paris, maybe taking at least one day trip outside of the city depending on your interests. My favorite of these is the Chateau Vaux-le-Vicomte, a short train ride away.