COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

should we cancel?

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 10:42 AM
karen

should we cancel?

We have been following the news, reading state dept advisories and reading this board...scheduled to leave USA for Italy on 10/3....We want to go but are open to canceling and wish we felt more sure about our decision. Does anyone have any suggestions or additional information that will help make this decision to be based more on fact rather than fear.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 11:07 AM
xxx

Karen, we are scheduled to leave SFO for CDG at 8:30 tomorrow morning. I am increasingly concerned about the threat to Americans overseas as well as about the radio report that I heard earlier today that further hijackings cannot be ruled out. I too, would like to base my decision on fact rather than fear (well put) but am at a loss as to how to determine great the threat really is.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Spider

I vote that you go to Italy. My friend just returned, and had a wonderful time. You will be treated very well as Americans, and the lines at the tourist sites will be short. Now is probably the best time to go.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Danna

Karen...

Go! I wish I had the money, I'd be checking out airline prices even as we speak. Once the airlines get over the initial issues, the costs are going to go stratospheric... Go! Have Fun! Spend Money! It's a global economy, and we all need participate. Have a grand time!

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 01:50 AM
Janine

Sounds like you are doing all you can to keep abreast of the facts. However, I don't think you will find the one fact you are searching for on a web page or in a newspaper - "will I be safe?" No-one can answer this for you with any certainty. We can only give our viewpoints, based on the facts that we have at hand. In situations like this, sometimes we make decisions based more on instinct than hard facts. I can only suggest you weigh up your options (along with the facts at hand) and do what feels right for you.
Hope this helps.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 03:02 AM
Art

I just returned from Poland, Romania, Austria, Hungary and Germany. No proglems what so ever!!. I was treated very well with a lot of sympathy from people in every country. The salt mines outside of Krakow even had a sign "No entrance fee with an American Passport". In every country people were leaving flowers and candles by the US Embasies. American Airlines reduced the number of carry ons that you could take and had several layers of security to go through. Never felt unsafe at all.
Regards,
Art

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 03:12 AM
Joel

I've been travelling since the terrorist activities with no problems. Regarding overall danger, I fully believe you are more safe in Europe than in NA. I have lived there for extended periods and have seen how attuned to security the police are. Terrorism is something they have dealt with for a number of years, but we isolationist Americans don't seem to realize that. The French anti-terrorist teams, for example, maintain a high presence in the streets.
As I work in a multinational French company, I have been asked by my European co-workers whether or not we will be cowed by the terrorists. I can only respond that if we are then the terrorists win.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:24 AM
Bob Brown

I think we need to put this in perspective. The potential for the terrrists to hijack an airplane has been there for the past year. On September 10, you would not have hesitated to go.
The threat was no less then than it is now. The only difference is that on September 10 we were naive and ignorant.
Now we are aware and feel threatened.

There is no reason to believe that an airliner is the next target. If I were a terrorist, I would pick another target. I have said all along that if the terrorists wanted to hit us where it hurt, they would scare us away from sporting events. I don't see people cancelling out of the big football games.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:27 AM
Kathy

You can't live your life in fear. Please go.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 09:52 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Karen
I feel for you - I really do - it is a hard decision to make - I don't know what I would do in your position but I would like reassure you that you will be very welcome all over Italy.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:04 AM
matcat

My husband and I leave in less than two weeks for Italy. We thought about it, we talked about it and decided we really do want to go - maybe with a little apprehension, but we're going.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 01:31 PM
Jwags

I am also leaving on 10/3 for 2 weeks in Europe. I have similar concerns and I have 3 reasons that keep me from cancelling/postponing.

1- The State department has not issued any warnings for the places I am going (Austria & Czech Republik) and they are much more aware of the situation overseas than I am.

2- I am not conviced I am any safer at home.

3- I lost 6 friends in the WTC disaster and this taught me how very short life is. I am determined to see as much of the world and have as much fun as I can while we still live in a world where we can do such things. The future is very uncertain, so I am going to live in the now.

This is just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 04:01 PM
karen

you have all been great help ....adding some perspective

Thanks..........K

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:46 PM
Clark

Fodor's is deleting most threads about travel safety I have noticed so you won't be able to find much on that here, although in the past month I have read quite a bit about that (gone now).
IMHO I wouldn't travel anywhere to a big city (and certainly not to any famous landmark like the Eiffel tower) until this all is over....which may be 6 months and may be a few years.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 07:15 PM
joe

we were in france on 9/11 with return tickets for 9/13 from paris. we didn't get back untill 9/18.the scariest thing was would we get back before we started bombing someone. i don't think you want to be in europe during the war that's about to begin. vacation in the usa this year.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:22 PM
chris

Karen, I live in Central Switzerland and I feel that Europe is just as safe (perhaps more so since they do seem to be better prepared) as the US, there is a lot of concern and a heightened sense of security. BUT, right now the only place in Italy I would stay away from is Rome, but would feel quite comfortable traveling anywhere else in Italy. If it makes you feel better you can make a note of my email address and if something does happen while you are in Italy at least you will have a "friend" willing to assist you and offer advise who lives only a few hours away.

I know how you feel, I am scheduled to go to Kenya on 10/26 and keep leaping back and forth between going or not...
Don't cancel! have a great time!
Chris

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:58 PM
Florence

I'm leaving Geneva for the USA (AZ) in 2 days with my mother. I bought the tickets on 9/10, when nobody was caring about terrorist threats, although they were as real then as they are now. I don't intend to jump deliberately into danger, but basically, that's what we all did everytime we travelled before that tragedy. So, despite all the people asking me whether I feel scared going to dangerous America, or being stranded there, or worse, we'll go and just do as we've always done, with the usual precautions regarding possible delays and inconveniences.

As far as I know, police forces all over Europe are doing their best, with some measure of success - just look at the recent arrests in France for example -, to ensure that no violence is committed against anyone's interests, particularly American interests. More than 70% of the European population, even the French, are supporting US action towards the Talibrats and Ben Loaded with s...t, and the occasional protests have more to do with a preoccupation about the fate of civilian Afghans than the core of the matter, so I think the actual dangers American *tourists* might run are overrated.

Do as you feel is the best for you, but don't let fear take the better part.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:08 AM
steve

By all means go! My wife and I just got back from Florence, Chianti, Orvieto, and Rome. She was very stressed about travelling and we nearly cancelled. The security at the airport was good in Rome. There seemed to be a lot more eyes watching (?profiling) everybody getting on the planes. A little tighter security at the Vatican as well. The Italians were very supportive and sympathetic. The flight crews say the numbers of people on each plane are starting to come back up now, but our plane coming back was only about 50% occuipied- plenty of space to lay down in three seats and take a sleep (how often does that happen?). I would be much more worried about driving to the airport, going on a cruise, or going to a sporting event. Finally, after 3 weeks of nonstop WTC coverage, it was very refreshing to get away from it all for a while. I will admit I did watch CNN Europe a little each day, though.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:25 AM
belle

Florence--

Ok, I am a "zonie" so I can ask this--why in the world would you leave beautiful, fantastic Switzerland for our ugly Arizona? (well..parts of it anyways) Can I trade places with you??!?!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:43 AM
Florence

Belle,

the answer is rain, rain, rain, and cold. So far Geneva calendar has been, weatherwise: January, February, February, February, May, March, March, August, November, and now October. ;->

Also, except for the coffee and a few places in downtown PHX, I didn't find Arizona that ugly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO