Reload this Page >

Should we buy a Eurorail pass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:12 AM
Natasha

My husband and I are spending 5 weeks in Europe this fall. We will probably rent a car in Ireland and take the train the rest of the time. Below is our tentative itinerary. Since the pass is not good in some of these places, should we just buy tickets as we go? Any suggestions on this or about our itinerary?<BR><BR>Ireland<BR>Shannon, West Coast, Dublin<BR> <BR>France<BR>Paris<BR> <BR>Belgium<BR>Brussels, Bruges<BR> <BR>Netherlands<BR>Amsterdam<BR> <BR>Germany<BR>Frankfurt, Berlin<BR> <BR>Poland<BR>Krakow, Auschwitz<BR> <BR>Czech<BR>Prague, Small towns<BR> <BR>Hungary<BR>Budapest<BR> <BR>Austria<BR>Vienna, Halstatt<BR> <BR>Switzerland<BR>Zermatt

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:14 AM
train passes

www.ricksteves.com is helpful in figuring out if yes or no & what type of rail passes are right (or not) for you.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:01 AM
Betsy

Type your itinerary into www.railsaver.com for a comparison of a pass vs. point-to-point tickets. A glance at your itinerary makes a pass look like a good possibility.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:02 AM
Greg

Natasha,<BR><BR>How do you plan on getting from Irelamd to Europe? Or is that where you plan on ending your travels? What you choose for a rail pass depends on how you plan your trip. Railsaver doesn't take into account that you may want to do small day trips once you arrive in a city. Therefore, they usually recommend a flexipass and then you end up paying for all your day trips as you go. This could be pretty expensive. <BR><BR>Your day trip to Hallstat is best done from Salzburg, so you will need to add that to your itinary. Also, Hallstat will take an entire day, so plan that amount of time.<BR><BR>Once you have decided on everywhere you want to go, plan a route what makes sense so you will end your travels near the city you will be leaving from. Poland is the only odd country on your itinary, Budapest and Prague can be reached from Vienna.<BR><BR>Once you have close to final plan let me know and I would be happy to let you know my opinion. Happy planning.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:34 PM
belinda

Natasha - I had very good luck using a service called Euraide. You can find them at www.euraide.com. Very helpful. Very service-oriented. Very knowledgeable. I highly recommend their services. They answered all of my dumb questions and got all the paperwork to me on time. Best of luck.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Natasha

Thanks for all your advice. Greg, We are dropping the car off in Dublin and continuing on to London. I think we are taking a combination of trains and a ferry (I'm not sure of the details yet but my husband is, we just started planning). I will let you know when our itinerary is more set to get your comments. Why is Poland an odd country on our list? Any other thoughts?