Should we attempt Delphi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Piraeus around 3PM following our visit to the Cyclades. We will have 3 nights in Athens, giving us 2 1/2 days to see that city. Should we even bother to go to Delphi or just concentrate on Athens?
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Hard for me to answer although I've bneen to both and enjoyed both.

Not knowing what your particular interests are and with that much time my advice would be to stay in/around Athens.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:52 AM

i will say that Delphi was one of the most fascinating (and prophetic) archaeological sites i've ever been to and all set in a starkly gorgeous wild setting.

Read some history about it and make it even more captivating.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM

ah - i'm peering into the fire... and the Oracle says... go to Delphi, go to Delphi
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM

people tell me that the deal is -- go by public bus, the earliest one.. it will get there before all the TOUR busses arrrive with their throngs... apparently it takes you to town of delphi a mile or so from the site.

NOTE: way long ago (99( I took a tour bus and it took forever (the driver owned the bus & didn't want to go fast). We had 2 hours only on the site, the so-called guide on bus was awful, we had to listen in on others' spiel -- then we were coerced into stupid lunch at a taverna where obviously the tour folks had a sweetheart deal. So beware -- go independently with a good guide-book.
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM

If you can, I would go. I don't know how to describe it but when I went there I got the strongest feeling that Delphi had been a sacred place for a very long time, regardless of which religion was present at the time. It is truly a wondrous place.
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I think you can fit in Delphi if you go early on the first bus and you'd still have some time for more of Athens in late afternoon and evening. It is definitely worth it whether you like ancient history or not...
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to Delphi on the bus? Is this a tour bus or a regional bus?
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Definitely worth the trip. I remember as we were driving thru the extraordiary country leading to Delphi my husband said........WHAT are we getting into?
Plus, in the museum there is that wonderful sculpture? no, brass I think... of a charioteer.
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM

It's been close to 40 years since I visited Delphi, but it still stands out as one of the most wonderful days I've ever spent. Beautiful, evocative, unforgettable!
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would be tempted to catch the 5:30 pm bus to Delphi when you arrive and spend the night. I loved Delphi, but part of the enjoyment was staying there after the daytrippers were gone.
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:42 PM

We did a private taxi "tour" to Delphi last year.

Probably much pricier than the bus, but with 2 couples splitting the cost, it was well worth the convenience of having our own car and driver, as well as being able to see everything completely at our own pace.

We also made a couple of stops along the way, including the museum at Thebes.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM

We loved Deplhi.

It was one one of my annual trips to Europe we take a group of our friends, that year to Greece, so we had a private guide with private transportation.

But the site, upon approach , looks like " what the h--- will we see here???. BUT it is so fascinating! And we were lucky that our guide was very very good.

We also stopped in a town before it and I bought a rug almost exactly like the one I had lost in a flood we had in our house about 4 months previous to the trip that year.

All in all, I would say go, it is fascinating ( read about it's history before you go to help you understand what occured there.

But Athens we alos really loved and I coudl spend more time there too; if you feel rushed, stay in Athens and enjoy! You'll be back!

Old May 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've heard of a private taxi called George's Taxi, but I don't know how much it would cost.

Another option is Swift Rental Car. They pick you up (at the port if you want) and drive you to the edge of the city so you don't have to drive in Athens traffic.
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM

hazard, If you really want to do this,it's a LongDistance bus (KTEL) which you get at Bus Station A, I think. You could go there straight from Piraeus if you wanted to... I believe it takes about 3 hours ... there are hints on "trip advisor" of hotels in Delphi to spend the night in. Then you could go to the ancient Delphi at 8 am, and get a bus back to Athens about 1-2 pm? gettng there before dinner.

However, were I you, I should not attempt to "do it all" in this trip of yours. Athens has been waiting 2500 years for you ... do give it at least 2 days!
Delphi will wait until you come back ... and I am sure you will.

MY Suggested Itinerary:
ARRIVAL DAY afternoon -- Get settled in hotel by 4 pm, walk around Plaka (you'll find ancient pillars & monuments all around), buy final souvenirs, have dinner at sidewalk restaurant or go to a terrace with Acropolis view.

FULL DAY#1 -- Go EARLY (8 am) to Acropollis to avoid crowds. Your ticket covers Acrop/Acrop Musuem & 3 other ancient sites. Wander down thru Agora (have good guidebook). Agora is green & flowery oasis...I picnick-lunch there.
Aft: -- take #400 Sightseeing "hop-on/hop-off" bus which takes 90 minutes, goes past 20 major sights. The ticket (which you buy on bus) is 5E & is good for 24 hours. Here's a link with color map of route.
http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?pageid=105

FULL DAY #2 -- Take "hop-on" bus at the stop closest to your hotel... and "hop off" at National Archeology Museum -- they have free docents at a desk near entrance to tour you to sights you prefer.

Hop back on the bus to return to Syntagma Square or Plaka area... still time for another ancient site -- Roman Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus. Or maybe a small museum before 3 pm if u wish. Some options -- Goulandris Cycladic museum ... Ilias Loulanis Jewelry Museum, Museum of Greek Musical Instruments (free and fascinating, in the PLaka); Greek Folk Art, also in Plaka. Times listed at these links.
http://www.athensinfoguide.com/wts.htm

http://www.culture.gr/2/21/maps/ster...ki/athens.html
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Jan, you make a good point, but I have to admit I approach every trip as if it would be my last. Will I go back to Greece some day - I am sure I will want to, but will I be able to?

From what I have read, Delphi is a must-see. Would this qualify for one of the 1001 places to see before you die?

Old May 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM

I did Delphi as a daytrip from Athens in '96, doing what travelerjan mentions: taking the earliest public bus (which left around 7:30 or so back then), and I did get there a good hour before the tour buses arrived. It was awesome. I adore Delphi, it's positively magical.

BUT there's lots to see and do in Athens too. The National Archaeological Museum, the Acropolis, the Agora...it's a really tough call given your tight schedule. I did my Delphi daytrip on a visit when I was in Athens for almost 2 weeks. I don't know if I'd do it on a short visit like yours.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM

YES YES YES - Delphi is a must!