Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I Visit the French Riviera Next June???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to reserve frequent flyer tickets shortly for next June for my husband, myself, and our 15 year old son. We want to go to France, but now I am madly trying to figure out where we want to fly home from. Right now, I am leaning towards flying into Paris, exploring Dordogne and Provence and flying out of Nice. My question is should we make time for a few days on the Riviera?

I spent a little time on the Riviera 30 years ago--Nice, Cannes, Monaco, Grasse, Vence, and St. Paul. I loved St. Paul, but I believe it is much more touristy now than when I visited. I can't remember much of Vence other than the Maeght Foundation. I think we would like the hill towns above the Riviera, but we will have seen lots of hill towns in Dordogne and Provence.

I really did not like the coast at all--way too built up for me and too many people on the beach. But I am wondering whether there are places on the coast that I missed that I might like--Villefranche, Antibes, Cassis? A coastal stay might be a nice change of pace if there is a place that is a little quieter and less built up.

Also, how busy is it in late June?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Well touristy or not, I love that area. There is so much to see and do plus I love a seaside town. You can go so many places by the bus for 1E, I think. And if Nice does not appeal there are certainly smaller towns to stay in but I enjoy the old town in Nice as well as long boardwalk along the lovely water.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Antibes is a major boating area (meaning lots of people keep their boats in its harbor and stay there), hardly quiet. Cassis is a major tourist town, although it is a lot smaller than Antibes, that's for sure.

There is nothing that would make me think that a necessity given how complicated your trip is already with so many other places to spend time in. You sure you are exploring both the Dordogne and Provence, which to me means a lot of time.

If you really want some place less busy, I'd suggest you think about the coast west of Marseille.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM

For a nice pristine stretch of coast:

Here's a neat easy few-mile stroll along a very untouched bit of a Riviera coast that is all too frequently IME over developed. Take the train to Cap d'Ail train station and go down to the paths just under the station - paved footpath and head east all the way to Monaco - a lovely lovely stroll featuring the signature Riviera scenery etched in your minds' eyes perhaps but rarely seen - cypress trees clinging to boulders tumbling into an azure-hued clear sea.

But don't be shy - you will likely also see skinny dippers and yes if you did not bring your swim suit you too can go for a dip in these isolated swimming holes.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM

I have no recommendations for a coastal stay for you. You have described the French Riviera. However, to quote Yogi Berra, "It is so crowded that nobody goes there anymore".

I will make a suggestion on your overall trip. We made this exact trip last year-Dordogne-Provence-Paris.

Fly into Toulouse. Drive to the Dordogne for your stay there. Then drive to Provence, with a one night stop in Carcassonne(you could just make this a 2 hour stop if time is an issue).After your stay in Provence,turn in your car at the train station, take the TGV from Avignon to Paris.Finish your vacation in Paris. Fly home.

This would allow you to get your airline tickets now and put off the decision, as you develop an itinerary, on staying on the Riviera .
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I guess I was wondering whether I missed some wonderful place on the Riviera 30 years ago, and from what I've read thus far, I'm not sure I have. PalenQ--your depiction of that walk sounds wonderful, but I need more than that to tempt me.

Flying in or out of Toulouse would be great, but there are no frequent flyer seats available for that airport. I've got to pick Paris roundtrip or into Paris and out of Nice. Assuming we don't spend time on the Riviera, would it be easier to take the train from Provence to Paris and fly home from there, or drive to Nice, and fly from there? I'm thinking the Nice airport might be easier than dealing with CDG.