Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I use Priceline in Brussels or Amsterdam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot of talk on the forums about how Priceline is good for London, but bad for Paris. How is it for Brussels or Amsterdam? I've looked at Biddingfortravel, but my question is more of: As a first-timer to both cities, should I instead try searching for a charming B&B or will the corporate chains be fine?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I used Priceline for Amsterdam and was very pleased with the results--got the Marriott Rennaisance for $90 a night (and they upgraded us to a suite!).
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:33 AM

I wouldn't say Priceline is bad for Paris, just that it must be used with great care and in a limited fashion, and with a clear idea of what you will or won't get. I was happy with what I got in Paris - a 4* hotel with excellent air conditioning, good room and public area standards, and in a pretty good location.

For Brussels, Priceline gives some stunningly low rates for 4* hotels. Not all of the hotels are perfectly central, though. Look at the lists at http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com and look at the zone boundaries. Because there's always a risk of getting an undiscovered hotel, I do a bit of research to determine if there are any likely candidates in the zone.

For Amsterdam, at least one 4* hotel - the Le Meridien Apollo - is not that central. But many are happy with the neigborhood anyway. In Amsterdam particularly, new hotels seem to be popping up quite a bit, because the NH chain has started participating. I would have used Priceline if I hadn't gotten a great deal with http://www.bookings.org . So double-check the zone boundaries, do some research to see if there are unreported possibilities, find out the cheapest acceptable deal elsewhere, and then bid intelligently if appropriate.

One disadvantage of Priceline - no breakfasts, generally, and you'll likely be given a hotel that has very pricey on-site breakfasts (like in the 20-25 Euro range). Not a big deal, as you can just go elsewhere. But I do like hotels that have a good buffet breakfast included, and I'd sacrifice some (but not all) "niceness" to get such a hotel for the same price as a 4* corporate hotel.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:05 AM

If your budget allows you to spend up to 100 to 110 euros per night for Brussels, then try various hotel web sites first. Hotel rates in Brussels are quite competitive (most of the year). For example, I've often found the 4* Sofitel Toison d'Or for around 110 euro per night--the hotel is very comfortable and well reviewed on Trip Advisor. Similar rates (sometimes lower) can be found at the Hilton (less well reviewed on TA) and sometimes the Hyatt Barsey (an upscale boutique hotel, not the usual chain).
As for charming B&Bs, they're rather thin on the ground in Brussels. The Hotel Welcome is a popular budget to moderate choice.
Try checking www.hotel.de rates for Brussels first to give you an idea of what you could get for your dates without Price (also check www.sofitel.com for the rates at that hotel).
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Recent wins in Brussels have been as low as $40 USD/night for 4* hotels (the Crowne Plaza Europa). In this case, the taxes and fees add about 25%, so that means you get a double room for about $50 USD/night, or just over 40 Euros, all in. (Bids of about $50 USD are more common wins, though.)