Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Amsterdam and Brussels - accommodations for 2 adults, 1 child

Amsterdam and Brussels - accommodations for 2 adults, 1 child

Sep 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam and Brussels - accommodations for 2 adults, 1 child

I could definitely use some help here ... trying to find reasonably priced (under Euros200 if possible) 3 or 4 star accommodations in Amsterdam and Brussels for my DH, me and our 8yo DD.

We are planning to stay in Amsterdam for three nights and Brussels for two nights so anywhere that requires a week (houseboat, apartment, etc.) are out. I'm having trouble finding places that have two queen beds (I'm long past wanting to find a suite which is what we typically stay in when we travel in the US!). I have never used Priceline but I see that is the recommended route for reasonable hotels in Amsterdam - but we need enough space for three of us so I don't think that will work for us unless we book two rooms but that won't work since we don't want to split up. All of the B&Bs that I have looked into are either booked or don't have enough space for three. Any ideas???
Sep 12th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Three of us stayed the Marriott Amsterdam next to Vondel Park. Definitely had two beds (full or queen)--I can't remember the price though.
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:04 AM

We just won a priceline bid at $40 in brussels, 4* nh atlanta. I had emailed earlier about the 3rd person charge, as was curious as we are a group of 5. Since I didn't hear from them before I bid, I did bid 3 rooms. But anyway, their policy is that the third person pays 25E for extra bed. In your case, as it is a child, you may not even have to pay that.

I think you are safe in brussels with priceline and can't beat that price. No other hotel has accepted those low bids yet.

then do amsterdam on hotwire for 2 adults 1 child. you should get ample bedding for three. Good luck.

see www.betterbidding.com for info on deciphering hotwire hotels..
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Many hotels will add a single bed for a child for a small fee.
The major chain hotels often have two beds in the rooms anyway. You will probably have to pay a small fee for your daughter sharing your room though.

When are you visiting Amsterdam?
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:19 AM

http://www.hotels.nl/amsterdam/ibis/ offers a triple room. The price depends on your dates of course.

Plenty of others do the same.

Use something like hotels.com to find which ones offer you the accommodation you require, or as suggested use Priceline or hotwire.
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:22 AM

I have used Priceline and Hotwire with great results over the years. For a Priceline win call
the hotel (transatlantic phone rates are cheap!) and arrange a third bed. We have also done this and have never had a problem. They may charge more... in some cases we were not charged extra... for example the last time we used them Hilton had a 'kids stay free' policy.

In addition to betterbidding.com mentioned above check the Netherlands forum at TripAdvisor.com
There is an updated thread for each of 4 star and 5 star hotels for Amsterdam. They will usually be in the first couple of pages...

Rob
Sep 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses ... and encouragement to try Priceline and Hotwire. I might just use them - I just can't see spending 200+ Euros per night although my husband keeps reminding me these are big cities and if that's what it costs, then that's what it costs!
Sep 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Well the Ibis I linked to has a triple room for €432 total for 3 nights early October. There are doubtless lots of others offering similar accommodation for around the same price or less.
Sep 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM

If there are only 3 of you, why do you need two queen beds.

I just booked triple rooms in both of those cities, in hotels that are not chains, and didn't have much of a problem. We prefer smaller, more local hotels. One technique I used to come up with hotels that had triples was to use a search engine like venere.com or even orbit - not for booking, because I prefer to book directly with hotels, but just for coming up with rooms for 3.

I've never used Priceline, because they only book rooms for 2 - I thought. I wouldn't want to assume that a European room would have space for an extra rollaway or other bed for a child.

In Amsterdam, we're staying at Hotel Aalders. Another possibility that we checked out was Hotel Nadia. In Brussels, we chose a fun-looking place called Hotel Welcome. Another possibility in Brussels was the Atlas Hotel. These might be a little more than you're willing to spend, but you might want to check them out (they all also include breakfast).
Sep 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM

The particular Brussels hotel that is accepting $40 bids WILL let you pay 25E for an extra person in the room even when you arrive with a Priceline reservation for $40. I called and asked them this exact question.

I would not try this anywhere else, and would use Hotwire when more than two.

No other 4* Brussels hotel except NH Atlanta has accepted such a low bid. We paid $143 TOTAL including tax for 3 rooms/one night.
Sep 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

WOW lincasanova! So how do I know that I will get that hotel in Brussels via Priceline - is it the only one accepting such a low bid? And does Hotwire allow for more than two per room?
Sep 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Last summer we stayed in Brussels twice - Le Meridien and Windsor Hotel, both booked through Expedia and both were around US$100/night. There was room in both rooms for a cot.
Sep 13th, 2010, 12:49 AM

on hotwire you can put 2 adults 1 child. in fact, many people do that when they want to be assured separate beds for a couple.

if you read www.betterbidding.com, and read all the brussels wins.. ( put "brussels" in the quick search near center top of page) you will see.Of course all this is date sensitive..
Sep 13th, 2010, 12:50 AM

I'd stay in the Novotel in Brussels (the one right near the Grand'Place).

Novotels are great when travelling as a family as kids stay free in the parents' room (fold out sofa-bed) and their breakfast is free too. Every Novotel we've stayed in has been very family friendly, and the Brussels one has the advantage of being well located too (I haven't stayed there but know exactly where it is). They usually offer good last minute and advance booking deals.

http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-1030...ce/index.shtml

I don't know about Novotels in Amsterdam, but I presume the chain exists there too.
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM

The breakfast is not always include in Novotel's advanced purchase or discounted rates. Putting in some arbitrary dates seems a room for 2 adults 1 child is about 200E a night, no breakfast, pre-pay, no cancellation.

I hope you find something that works fro you. Enjoy your trip and planning.
Sep 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM

We liked the Hotel Residence le Coin in Amsterdam. It is a new-ish hotel, comprised of a few row houses, and is situated across the street from a couple of very high-end hotels and two good cafes, as well. Very good central location.

Their rooms have kitchenettes, and are quite large. They probably could accommodate you three. There is a free laundry facility in the hotel, too. A breakfast room in the hotel, but not included in the room fee.

Rates were very good, five years ago, anyway.
Sep 13th, 2010, 11:36 PM

Lincasanova - just out of interest, I put in some arbitrary dates for the Novotel (a random weekend in November) and came out with a rate of 99.50 per night, breakfast included - so it's obviously going to depend a lot on the dates.
Sep 14th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Hanl, that sounds very good. i must have gotten a busy week. ( or maybe if I scrolled down or something there were more offers somewhere on the page). I don't think I put in a weekend, either which may make a difference.

I agree Novotels are family oriented hotels.
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Ok so this is what we ended up with (I tried Priceline to no avail):

Park Plaza Vondelpark in Amsterdam - average of 176 Euros/night for Sat/Sun/Mon nights

Marriott Courtyard in Brussels for 20,000 marriott points total for two weeknights - not a particularly great location (near the airport) but 10K points instead of 300 Euros per night seemed like a good tradeoff and would go a long way to fund any cab rides!

We are lucky enough to be able to stay with my FIL in his 16e apartment in Paris.
Sep 16th, 2010, 02:03 AM

Off topic completely but it may be of interest to you while in Amsterdam is the Hollandsche Schouwburg, given you are visiting Anne Frankhuis with your daughter..

http://www.hollandscheschouwburg.nl/en/visit

Also the Joodshistorischkindermuseum (Jewish History childrens museum) http://www.jhmkindermuseum.nl/#/home

Search this Thread