Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I pay a speeding ticket from Germany?new post

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We returned from Germany to the US on 5/18/2013. Went on a vacation to Colorado from 6/5 until 7/8/2013. It took us several days to open all of the mail in July. Found 3 speeding tickets from Germany. We remembered the flash of the camera on 2 of the 3. 2 of the tickets showed that we owed 15 and 25 Euros. I went to the website on the form and filled out the contact form to ask how to pay this as I could not read the form. A day or so later, I got a reply in English. I contacted them again to ask if I could send the money other than by bank transfer. They said that I could send a check in US $ so I looked up the current exchange rates and sent a cashier's check (my bank charged $3) and mailed that on August 7. I have not heard any more from them. Based on what I have read elsewhere in a different thread, I probably did not really have to pay this but I didn't read this forum until today.

What prompted me to read it is in regard to the 3rd speeding ticket. This one came from a different district. I received 2 notices - June 11 date and a reminder dated July 16. Neither gave the amount of the penalty. I drove 93 km/h in a 70 km/h zone :"assserhalb geschlossener Orschaften". After receiving the 2nd notice, I sent at least 2 e-mails in English to the address on the notice but got no response. A German teacher also sent them an e-mail in German but got no response. Then I searched for the website and submitted their online contact form twice but got no reply. The German teacher translated the questions on the back of the notice so I answered those questions whereby I admitted that I was driving the car (the notice had my picture on it). I mailed that to them on August 7. Today, August 20, I received the Bussgeldbescheid for 98.50 Euro (Geldbusse-70, Gebuhr-25, Auslagen Verwaltung-3.50). It also stated that 1 Point was awarded against my license.

I have the following questions: (I would really like to hear from hsv, markrosy, and logos999, and/or others who have reliable knowledge on this subject.)

1. I gather from reading older threads on this same topic that the 1 point will not affect my driver's license in the US. Is that correct?
2. Because Germany really can't force people from non-EU countries to pay this, many responders said that eventually they will give up trying to collect this and that it is very unlikely that I would have any problems renting a car in Germany in the future. Nor would I have any problems entering the country. I don't travel to Germany on any regular basis but might go again in 2 or 3 years. It is hard to predict that. Also, since this was a speeding ticket as opposed to a parking ticket, the rental car company cannot charge us. The other threads that addressed this issue were several years old so I wanted to start a new thread to deal with this particular topic? Is all of this still true? Does the fact that I admitted the offense by returning the notice with the questions answered change the likelihood that they will or will not give up if I do not pay the fine?
3. I have given up trying to contact them to get any questions answered. If I do pay it, I am considering just paying the 70 + 3.50 and not paying the 25 Euro Gebuhr. Does anyone know what that is or why it was added? Is it because I did not reply promptly to the first notice or is it because I exceeded the speed limit by more than 20 km/h (23 to be exact) or is it some other reason? I have no idea how to find out. What is your recommendation as to how much to pay or should I not pay it at all? If I pay less than the full amount charged, should I include any type of explanation - such as proof that I was on vacation when the first notice was sent? Is paying part of the fine going to make matters worse or will they likely accept that as being more than they get from most non-EU offenders and let the rest go?

I would appreciate any solid recommendations.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM

You broke the law, so pay up.

It's the honest thing to do.

It's not Germany's fault that it is inconvenient for you to pay and that you missed the first notice.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of people here SAY they don't pay those fines. It is what ELSE those same people do and don't do that concerns me.

You were honest which grates on some people but you don't have to live with them.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 12:51 PM

I received a couple of tickets as well from Germany (Freiburg). After getting the notices I tried to contact them to get an explanation and by the time I was done there were penalties for non-payment that substantial. When I tried to explain that I didn't understand the notice and that I would pay the original fines I was told they could not waive any of the penalties. My guess is that If you don't pay all of the fees the ticket will not go away. I am now going to Italy and I'm hoping that I will be able to rent a car there.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all 3 who have replied so far.

Dear garymk, How did you finally get in touch with them. I have tried 3 or 4 e-mails and web contact forms with no response. Did you end up paying the whole thing incl all penalties?