Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I go interrailing in early October OR early April (Easter)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2022, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I need to use my interrail pass! I want to go when the weather is mild and preferably with longer days, and it's not too busy.

For boring work reasons, I can go any time between October 2022 or early April 2023 before my pass expires.

I only have 2.5 weeks to travel. I live near London and my plan is to go:
  • Trier (Germany)
  • Salzburg (Austria)
  • Split (Croatia)
  • Rome
  • Lyon
The weather will be similar in both months based on averages, but there is more daylight in April.

I'd be travelling around 29 March - 14th April. I'm worried about the effect of Easter on the 9th April.

How much busier does it get around Easter, and do a lot of things close? Is it more noticeable in some countries? Based on my research it seems like it's more of a problem in Italy and Croatia.

I also feel like April will be more expensive, but not sure if that is true outside of the days around Easter.

Thank you for any ideas!
Old May 29th, 2022, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bingbangbong
Hi all, I need to use my interrail pass! I want to go when the weather is mild and preferably with longer days, and it's not too busy.

For boring work reasons, I can go any time between October 2022 or early April 2023 before my pass expires.

• Trier (Germany)
  • Salzburg (Austria)
  • Split (Croatia)
  • Rome
  • Lyon
The weather will be similar in both months based on averages, but there is more daylight in April.

I'd be travelling around 29 March - 14th April. I'm worried about the effect of Easter on the 9th April.

How much busier does it get around Easter, and do a lot of things close? Is it more noticeable in some countries? Based on my research it seems like it's more of a problem in Italy and Croatia.

I also feel like April will be more expensive, but not sure if that is true outside of the days around Easter.

Thank you for any ideas!
Old May 29th, 2022, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bingbangbong

• Trier (Germany)
  • Salzburg (Austria)
  • Split (Croatia)
  • Rome
  • Lyon

Thank you for any ideas!
Old May 29th, 2022, 09:55 AM

I was in Croatia over Easter. Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, are everything closed holidays. You might find some restaurants opened (I was In Zagreb) but everything else closed those 2 days. It is like that in a few other countries, so you might check.