Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

should I drive or train Montalcino to Naples?

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

We're picking the car up in Orvieto then heading to Montalcino. I had originally planned to drop it back off in Orvieto, then take the train to Naples (mostly due to fears about driving the Autostrada!).

Now I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and drive directly from Montalcino to Naples. The rental fee is just a little higher to drop off in a different city and it seems like it will save us a couple hours.

One more question: my end-destination is Sorrento. If I do drive, should I/can I drive directly there, or do I need to drop the car in Naples and use public transporation to Sorrento?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:45 AM

If you don't need the car in Naples I would take the train. Not so much from fear of the Autostrada but that it might actually be cheaper and faster to take the train than to drive and pay for another day's car rental.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:46 AM
ira

Hi jende,

If you are burdened with luggage, I suggest you take the car to Sorrento.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

No, we won't need the car in Naples/AC. It's about $60 more to have the car that extra time, but that's not a big deal.

To answer Ira's question, yes, we will have our luggage. I didn't know that it was possible to drive to Sorrento. Do you take a car ferry?

Can someone comment on how tricky this drive (Montalcino is S. Tuscany to Sorrento) is? Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:15 AM
ira

Hi Jende,

Go to www.viamichelin.com for driving directions and maps.

Sorrento is on the mainland, as is the rest of the AC.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:49 AM

We did the drive in reverse--from Caserta to Montalcino--and it was a fairly easy drive. The Autostrada is not to be feared as long as you don't drive in the left lane except to pass. It's like anywhere else. If you know the rules of the road, you will be fine.

We also found that it was just easier to put the luggage in the car and not be held to a timetable as you would with a train. And you also do not have to drag suitcases up and down the train steps.

Just be sure to have good driving directions and a good map from Montalcino to the auto drop-off location. You can get directions from michelin, mapquest or mappy.
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Drive to Sorrento and drop there.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to change my car reservation so that we'll drop in Sorrento.