Should I bring my Ipod?

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I bring my Ipod?

I don't have the mini..I have the older model which is bigger.I really would like to bring it...afraid I will lose it. Can I leave it in a room?...a safe?...need advice.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM
rex

I can't imagine why not.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't leave anything of value in a room - or even the hotel safe. Why not just carry it around?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM

I'm wondering. Will the ipod's recharge with a simple plug adaptor?

JoeG
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Hi Folks,

Got back last week from 10 days in Switzerland with my new iPod -- incredible! The hours at the airport were better with opera, wandering around town was splendid with Piaf, train journeys were a joy with the oldies, and hotel balcony views were sublime with Yo Yo Ma. I was a bit concerned about being isolated from the folks around me, so I didn't plug in all the time. Next time I'm gonna have to get tiny speakers for the hotel room --

Yes, the iPod is 110/220, and recharges with a simple adaptor. I bought the auto/air adaptor from igo.com so it could recharge on the plane too.

s
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I don't get iPod (especially the 40gb-60gb ones).

Why on earth would anyone want or need to carry around thousands of songs, that will play continuously for hundreds of hours?

Especially when, for the same money, you can carry a full-function computer that will store all your documents, maps of every city in Europe, plus your itineraries, guide books, show you where you are, remind you of things to do, let you take notes, play hundreds of games, AND store all of Beethoven's symphonies, all of Scott Joplins Red Back Book, every LP recorded by E. Power Biggs, and the entire History of Rock 'n' Roll.

Oh, and the complete works of Shakespeare, Jules Verne, and Tolstoy.

Why?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Hi Robespierre,

I don't have a laptop -- !!

Even when I do get one, an iPod is a bit smaller to fit into a pocket to carry for the day.

s
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:49 PM
rex

The DLO Transpod and the Bose SoundDock are two reasons to get an iPod into your life.

And I say this as someone who goes EVERYWHERE with a laptop.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

My husband, says that each song takes about 8 kb. A 128 kb memory chip for his PDA therefore will hold about 15 songs. My 40 gb Ipod holds over 5,000 songs.

I have the best of both worlds...I am taking my husband AND my Ipod.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Why on earth would anyone want or need to carry around thousands of songs, that will play continuously for hundreds of hours?....Especially when, for the same money, you can carry a full-function computer that will store all your documents"

You answered your own question for me.

For one thing, I don't want to drag a laptop to Europe. For another, I like to listen to hours of music on my flight (never hearing the same song twice) with a device that fits in my shirt POCKET.

Love my IPOD!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amen, maitaitom! Want the music, ditch the computer.

loisco, the original IPOD is not that much bigger than the mini. Won't it fit in whatever you're carrying around during the day?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM

We bought a transmitter that plugs into the car cigarette lighter and sends a wireless signal that feeds through my radio. They make two but the cheaper one just doesn't cut it. now I'm trying to find out if I can buy a cigarette lighter/AC-plug so I can send a signal to my home receiver.

Anyone who wonders what the deal is with an ipod doesn't have one
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM

I think Robespierre is talking about his pocket pc - not a laptop.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM

I dragged an iPod, a heavy laptop, and 2 digital cameras to Europe. To be honest, I didn't really use the iPod, as I was travelling with my husband, and the Air France flight had that in-seat entertainment system. In fact, I only remember using the iPod as an alarm clock. I left mine in the room daily, but this was a nice hotel in a good neighborhood.

As for why would anyone want an iPod when they could store more on a laptop? Ridiculous! It's like saying, why have a Walkman when you could carry a boombox on your shoulder. Plus, it's a fraction of the cost (though I have both). Plus, my iPod plays through my car stereo, and could play through speakers at work (had Santa brought me those). I can get why get an iPod when you could have a SmartPhone, but a laptop is no substitute.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:35 PM

I just received my ipod for Christmas and think it's the best gift I've ever gotten.

It takes one or two days to grasp the possibilities - then it's like having a religious experience. Well, maybe a slight exaggeration.

JoeG
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM

my son took his 20gig ipod on our trip. It sure helped him pass the long plane and train rides away. At times he left it in the bottom of his suitcase in the room with no problems...but there's never any guarantee.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:41 PM

don't forget you can also store your digital photos from your memory card, as well as keep copies of scanned travel documents. All I need now is an MP3 vesion of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on my IPOD and I will be happy. ( does that mean I have to have the words " Don't Panic" enscribed on my IPOD ??)
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM

You can do everything with a PPC that you can with an iPod, plus several hundred other things. Yes, even backing up your photos.

As far as memory is concerned: MP3 files take up (in round numbers) about 1mb per minute. So a 1gb memory chip in a PPC will contain about 17 hours of music. This chip will cost about $60 in today's market (see eCost.com). And just like the iPod, you can plug a PPC into a sound system, if you're interested in hearing that crappy MP3 sound much louder.

I still don't get it.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's ok. You just don't get it.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM

<i>&quot;I still don't get it.&quot;</i>

Different strokes for different folks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -