Search

Shorts in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 09:25 AM
linda

Shorts in Italy

I know that while I'm in Cinque terre shorts will be o.k. since we will using the walking trails, but what about Positano and Capri, is o.k. in the daytime? <BR>I know I can wear whatever I want but i"m just trying to get a feeling for the atmosphere. <BR>As well what about in Rome? <BR>Will be there first 2 weeks in Sept. <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 09:54 AM
jo

in general Italians do not wear shorts <BR>unless they are going to the beach. <BR> <BR>But they are also not sightseeing and being out all day in the sun. <BR> <BR>In Rome you will not be allowed into churches in shorts unless they are the bermuda shorts that cover your knees. <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Joe

Shorts are fine everywhere except the obvious. E.g., wouldn't wear shorts in Rome, Milan, to go out in the evening, etc. Some Italians do wear shorts. You will see lots of shorts everywhere and not all will be worn by Americans. Just takes a little good judgement to be comfortable. Enjoy!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Henrietta

I do belieive people seen in shorts are shot on sight on the streets of Rome. In short - DON'T DO IT!!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:48 AM
John

Just returned from cruise where we visited Florence, Rome and Capri. I too read about the shorts issue in Italy and was reluctant to wear them or let my wife and daughters wear them. I wore long pants in Florence and made the girls wear capri pants. We didn't visit any churches but I just wanted to be safe - boy, did we regret it. It was so hot that it affected our day. We all wished we had worn shorts. We went to all the tourist places and, dah, most of the people there were tourists!!! and they were wearing shorts. When we went to Rome the next day and Capri the day after, we all wore shorts, didn't feel out of place at all and were very comfortable. I would say, especially Capri, where there were at least 500 other people there (all tourists) and very few "native" Italians running around without shorts!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:05 PM
marge

I ditto John's comment. We visited Italy for 17 days last June/July. It was 90+ F degrees in Rome - and very few people - Italians or not - were wearing anything but little skirts and shorts. When packing in the future for similar summer ventures, I intend to take only one pair of black microfiber slacks, and that's it.