Reload this Page >

This is the BEST beach in Tuscany!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:10 AM
sun

But I don't know where it is!! It is rated tops by Initaly site...do you know where it is?? Castiglion della Pescaia???

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:29 AM
kam

You would mean Castiglione della Pescaia and it is in the southern part of Tuscany known as the Maremma. I don't know what criteria inItaly is using--do they mean actual beach (I would disagree with this being the best beach) or do they mean best beach town (maybe I would agree with this--it's certainly more remote than many). There's an old walled town here, some nice little bars, lots of little inexpensive restaurants and a couple hotels. It's near to Grosseto if you're looking at a map, just south of the very posh beach resort, Punta Ala. For many years the Maremma suffered from terrible drainage and malaria outbreaks. It's very different from the rest of Tuscany.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:01 PM
marge

Kam: your reply indicates you might have a lead on a beach that is better. Would appreciate your insight/experience. <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:04 PM
zz-top

I didn't get there on my recent Italy trip, but did explore going to Elba Island (which is a ferry ride off the coast of Tuscany). And my travel mag arrived in mail yesterday with an article of best beaches around the world -- they gave a thumbs up on Elba.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:10 PM
kam

Marge, Everybody looks for something different in a beach. For me, I love the big, sandy, warm water and all the human congestion of Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi, but that wouldn't be a lot of peoples' choice. I also love the Lido in Venice, but many would disagree. Choosing the "Best" beach is not a job I would want or could do very well.