shortened Ireland trip and report

May 23rd, 2007, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

shortened Ireland trip and report

We had been planning since July a 16 day trip to Ireland -- our first. Unfortunately, there was a death in the family so we returned yesterday instead of June 1. I do want to let you know about the places we stayed.

In Dingle -- our first stop and in reflection perhaps too long a ride for the first day -- we stayed at Castlewood House. It is a very nice comfortable place to stay and I would not hesitate to stay there again. My only issue is that they sent the charge card through in US dollars instead of euros. I insisted they change it and he did -- looking at the charge chare, the DDC charge was 4.7% -- my card charged the 1% visa fee only so I would have paid 3.7% extra. When handing your credit card to someone, tell them ahead that you want it charged in Euros as it becomes quite a hassle to change it after the fact. One place said they couldn't charge it in euros and they were supposed to cancel the charge -- I paid it in cash -- it is on my card right now and I will have to handle it later.

In Kenmare we stayed at Sallyport House which was a lovely stay -- highly recommended. She was excellent at giving us suggestions of what to do and where to drive. We did the Beara peninsula one dau and part of the Ring of Kerry -- she had us cut through the peninsula and we were in the most amazing areas. It was beautiful and there were no busses there!

In Ballyvaughan we stayed at Cappabhaile House. They deserve special mention for the warm welcome we had there. It is not as fancy at the first two places we stayed and we knew that going in. The day we arrived, we had a private walk scheduled with Shane Connelly on the Burren -- this was a great introduction to it as he is very knowledgable and going up into the Burren and having him explain it to us -- it was great. We both fely we got so much out of it. But when we returned it was after 7 amd we stopped at the B&B and then went back out to get some dinner -- At 8:00 there was only one place still serving and they had at lease an hour wait. We went back to Cappabhaile House and asked for some cold cereal for dinner -- which we would have been happy with -- she insisted on cooking us some omelets- way above anything we asked or was necessary. The next morning we got the phone call at 7:30 that my father in law had passed on. They called the airlines and changed our return for us and called all the remaining places including Northern Ireland. They wanted nothing additional for the dinner or the phone calls. They did everything and more that they could have done and the welcome here was genuine. We were very glad we had picked them to stay with.

We found out Monday morning but that was too late to get to the airport and get a flight back so we had the day to get back to Shannon. We had absolutely beautiful weather that day and went by the Cliffs of Moher. We did the cruise and then went on to see them on land. Definitely the cruise is worth it -- it is a different perspective to see it from the water. We really felt it was a highlight of the trip.

We did not have a place to stay near the airport so we sort of winged it. I hsf one guide book with me that had a small places to stay selection but we decided to try yo find Carrygerry House. This is the only time we got a bit off but that was because we did not call ahead and did not know exactly where we were going. It is an old manor home from the 1700's a stone's throw from Shannon and surrounded by farmland and countryside -- a wonderful area. It literally is 10 minutes from the airport and out in the country. Unfortunately, we were there on a Monday night -- they have a restaurant on the premises but it is not open on Sundays or Mondays. So we had to drive to Bunratty to get dinner. It cost 140 euro and is run by a young couple -- they bought it 4 years ago and are renovating it. It was very peaceful there and I was really pleased with it. For a place to stay the day you fly in or leave, it couldn't be easier.

One last thing -- we had used frequent flier tickets to get there -- Delta waived the 50 euro or dollar-- never was sure-- fee per person for the change. We did not have to ask -- When Conor called from Cappabhaile House he told me there was a fee for the change but at the airport they told us it was waived.

One more last thing -- we were told when we returned the car that we would get some refund by Dan Dooley. We had prepaid and they were going to fax the office in the US to have them issue a partial refund. That surprised me also but they said due to the circumstance they would do it -- will let you know if I do receive it. They did charge 65 euro for the tank of gas on the front end and did refund it when we returned it full. They were true to their word.
May 23rd, 2007, 02:33 AM

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you for the report, and I hope you manage a happier and more complete trip in the future.
May 23rd, 2007, 05:03 AM

Very sorry to hear about your husband's father. I'm glad you managed to enjoy what you were able to see, and that everyone was so accommodating about your early departure.
May 23rd, 2007, 06:52 AM

I'm so sorry about your father-in-law.

Thanks for sharing the information on the places you stayed. And on your experience with having to shorten your trip. It's very heartening to hear that you were treated well all along the line.
May 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM

My Sympathies for the loss of your father-in-law. Your experience at Cappabhaile was not surprising. They are very willing to assist you in whatever fashion they can to make your experience more pleasant. It is that gracious attitude that makes Ireland feel like home to so many. Especially for you in that trying time, every small act of grace was amplified.

I hope that you will return again soon for an extended trip and more small and large acts of grace.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
May 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM

mpkp,

I too am sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you got a taste of Ireland. I always say, it's the people of Ireland that draw me back time after time. Yes, Carrygerry House is hard to locate. Finally we stopped in Newmarket-On-Fergus and ran into a Pub to get directions. I enjoy staying in the old part of the house. The out buildings were not as comfortable. We did have dinner both nights and the Ennis family were wonderful to us.

Thanks for sharing your short trip and details of your accommodations. It will be a great help for future travel.

Kind Regards, Joan