Reload this Page >

Short Vacation, Milan Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:23 PM
marie

Hi,going to Milan,Italy for 3 days..any suggestions on attractions, shopping, and dining. Thanks.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:36 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Marie <BR>Milan is a shoppers paradise, possibly <BR>the area around the Duomo is ideal, there is also a large "department store" <BR>La Rinascente just alongside the behind the Galleria is La Scala, there are a couple of nice little bars in the Galleria, behind it is La Scala with <BR>a very interesting museum, they also <BR>did run tours. The Corso Vittorio Emanuele one of the shopping street. <BR>When you get to Milano get a copy of <BR>Un Ospite di Milano, this is a guest <BR>in Milan a lot of free information. <BR>WE have normally stayed at the Hotel <BR>PLAZA, Pza Diaz, 3, which is a four star <BR>hotel, kinda modern and located a half <BR>block south of the Duomo and a half <BR>block south and to the right is one <BR>of our favorite ristorantes DA BRUNO, <BR>via Gonzaga, 6.. <BR>Milan is a very large city, however from <BR>the past four or five times we have been <BR>there, can only remember rain.. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il.. <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 05:29 AM
fred

i can think of 2 other things not mentioned. see the last supper it has been restored -ask at hotel for directions. also you could take the bus to a town north of milan called bergamo. the old part of the city accessable by funicular is well worth going to. beware that they do observe the siesta there and it dies between 12:30 and 3 or so. however you can still walk arounf or enjoy a great lunch. good trip. oh its only a 1hr ride or thereabouts

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Sheila

Spent a day in Milan at the end of a week last year. Details as followsBR><BR>"Stayed at the Tulip Arizona, near the slip road for the airport, own parking, on a tram route to the city centre.£40 per person per night, clean and airconditioned.<BR><BR>Caught a tram into the town- tickets are bought from shops and cafes which display a badge and are dirt cheap. They are time stamped when you get on the tram and valid for 90 minutes. <BR><BR>Had an adequate lunch in a sidestreet near the castle (an Osteria- unfortunately I can’t remember the name, but it’s the closest there is to the American Bookstore). Good wine. I had spicy pasta. The food police wouldn’t let me put parmesan on it. Ah well, when in Rome….<BR><BR>Walked to Santa Maria delle Grazie on the off chance we could get into the Last Supper. We couldn’t. Book in advance, peeps. Walked (taxi driver wouldn’t take us-“E vicina Signora”-to Pinoteca Brera (recommended by Italian friend- did you know about it?). Gem of an Art Gallery. Well worth a visit. Walked to the Duomo- past La Scala, through the Victor Emmanuel galleries- couldn’t get in because I was wearing shorts. Walked to the Castle. Headed back over to Brera to try to find somewhere for supper. Found a stunning little “Formaggio e Salume” where Olive Oil, balsamic vinegar and parmesan was bulk bought for the return trip. Then they recommended a restaurant round the corner “Trattoria Torre di Pisa” for a last meal. Terrific."<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 12:27 PM
howard

A few tips: <BR>1. When you go to the Duomo, make sure you climb to the top. <BR>2. Walk around the fashion district (Via Manzoni and its neighboring streets). Even if you don't buy (it's expensive), it's an experience just to walk around. <BR>3. Visit the museum at La Scala and try to catch a performance at the opera house. <BR>4. If you're there on a Saturday, catch at least one of the outdoor markets. <BR>5. For shopping, you can get some good buys on silk scarves and ties (probably not on Via Manzoni, but in the Galleria shops). (The nearby Lake Como area is the world's second-largest producer of silk in the world. China is #1.)

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 04:39 PM
elvira

There's an opera museum at La Scala. <BR> <BR>Da Vinci museum with drawings of his inventions and some models (most of the explanations are in Italian, but you can still figure out what the old genius was up to); the Naval Museum is in the same building. <BR> <BR>Sforzza (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) Castle - first time I've ever seen the backside of an old tapestry (anybody who does needlework will find it interesting) - and a couple of galleries for special exhibits. <BR> <BR>Italian women apparently have no butts and really narrow hips, so try on clothes if you're buying, and be prepared to go up about 3 sizes.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 03:46 AM
leo

Oh yes the flea market. I dream of going back to that Saturday morning flea market. Wonderful leather purses, belts scarves for a fourth of what you would pay in the states (and half of what I priced at the shops in Milan). The socks and PJ's I bought for my husband are of so much better quality than found in the states. Lots of designer stuff, if you are a small size, or for you daughter! The clothes section, nearest the subway station extends for 10 + blocks in both directions, but beyond that to the south a short way- closer to the Canal (you can see on the map) is the junk section. I bought a fine 1890's impressionist oil painting ($120). Lots of trap, but worth a look if you like that kind of stuff. If not stick to the clothes section for some great bargins. Have fun, Milan is a great "living" city.