Short trip to Vienna

Search

Short trip to Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short trip to Vienna

This summer, because of rail works further west, a Nightjet train departs from two stations in Le Marche in the evening and arrives in Vienna in the morning. My husband and I are considering a short trip to take advantage of this possibility, which ends on the 10th of September. I have never been to Vienna; my husband visited the area many years ago. We are in our late 70s (me)/early 80s (he); we are active, but want a leisurely visit.

We would arrive on a Tuesday morning, at around 8 AM, and leave on a Thursday evening, at around 9 PM.

I was considering the possibility of getting outside the city on one of these three days, probably the Wednesday. There are numerous day tours available, but they seem mostly to be focused on wine. We don't drink wine, so this wouldn't interest us.

There are also day trips to Salzburg, or even as far as Hallstatt. I've been to both places (around 30 years ago). Hallstatt was very beautiful, but it seems to have since become the Cinque Terre of Austria: wall-to-wall tourists. Anyway, Hallstatt is awfully far from Vienna, and a day trip wouldn't do justice to Salzburg.

I thought of a self-guided excursion to some place in the Vienna woods, but all of the suggested destinations I've seen once again seem to feature wineries. I would be interested in some attractive little town, easily reached by public transportation, where we could spend a few hours.

My husband claims to know everything worth seeing in Vienna proper. He says two days should suffice, but I welcome other viewpoints on this. We are interested in art and architecture. We also love music, but I don't think there are many good concerts midweek. I really am not interested in tours of palaces, unless they hold some exceptional works of art; I do enjoy gardens.

Since we are arriving early, before check-in time, and leaving in the evening, I think we should find a hotel near the station, where we can leave our bags before check-in and after check-out.

All advice welcome!
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 10:58 AM

My sister and I went to Vienna in January 2022 and loved it! We too love art and architecture. We visited the Kunsthistorisches Museum twice, they have a great collection of art. We wanted to visit the Vienna Porcelain Manufactory Augarten, but it was closed. We also visited (twice!) a wonderful chocolate shop - Leschanz. Three locals recommended hiking to Kahlemberg which is on the outskirts of the city and provides a nice view. I hope you have a great time!

eta: I also wanted to take a day trip to Bratislava, which was easily doable by train and the fare inexpensive, but we didn't get around to it. Next time!

Last edited by Flwrhead; Aug 10th, 2023 at 11:00 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 12:28 PM

I was surprised by Vienna. I went in 2010 and found the city to be much more visually interesting than I had expected, but alas, very Hapsburg!

I had four full days in the city and definitely did not get through everything the city has to offer. For art, you could go to the Belvedere which has a large Klimt collection (but the Lady in Gold is no longer among them, rightfully so). There is also Schonbrunn Palace, but that might be a bit touristy for your liking. If you're so inclined, it being the classical music capital, could take in a concert or opera.

Given your short excursion, I'm with your spouse. There is a lot to do and see in the city to keep you occupied. I have not been to Hallstatt but my hesitancy is same as yours. And I enjoyed Salzburg. I think two days is "just enough" for Salzburg, but not if you want to see a bit of Vienna on this short jaunt.
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 03:01 PM

We liked the Albertina and the Leopold Collection more so than the Upper Belvedere.

As a transition from the Hapsburg architecture to new styles, a city bus ride to the outer edges of Vienna will take you to the Kirche am Steinhof, perhaps the ultimate in Otto Wagner's Art Nouveau architecture.

For a post W.W. II architecture which seems to be inspired by the Secessionist period, loof for the Hundertwasser buildings:

Another bus ride can take you to the top of the hills north of Vienna, for a view of the city:

Old Aug 11th, 2023, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the ideas. I'm still checking my options.

The Kirche am Steinhof looks like something we would love to see. My husband is an engineer, who has often overseen the reconstruction of old churches, and is very interested in their architecture. Unfortunately, the church is only open for visits on Saturdays and Sundays, and we can't manage to be there on the weekend.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 03:52 AM

We were in Vienna this past November after 3 1/2 weeks in Egypt and Jordan. Suffice it to say, we didn’t have much energy for serious touring and bypassed all the usual large museums. We took a wonderful free walking tour one day (if interested, I’d look up which company it is). We also loved the Leopold but our absolutely favorite activity was visiting the Secession Building, built by and for the Secession artists and contains the magnificent Beethoven frieze by Klimt on its lower level. It’s a fabulous building and the Klimt frieze is remarkable.

Old Aug 11th, 2023, 04:02 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Weve spent a few days in Vienna while holidaying in Austria back in 2015. An interesting day trip out of Vienna is the Wachau valley, easily done on your own and can be bought as a kombi ticket from the state railway OBB https://kombitickets.railtours.at/en.../wachau-ticket. A beautiful day out enjoying the scenery and history, with no wine angle!

ps-you were very helpful in planning our trip to gorgeous Le Marche Visiting Le Marche and Umbria , glad to reciprocate in any small way!
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by bvlenci
This summer, because of rail works further west, a Nightjet train departs from two stations in Le Marche in the evening and arrives in Vienna in the morning. My husband and I are considering a short trip to take advantage of this possibility, which ends on the 10th of September. I have never been to Vienna; my husband visited the area many years ago. We are in our late 70s (me)/early 80s (he); we are active, but want a leisurely visit.

We would arrive on a Tuesday morning, at around 8 AM, and leave on a Thursday evening, at around 9 PM.

I was considering the possibility of getting outside the city on one of these three days, probably the Wednesday. There are numerous day tours available, but they seem mostly to be focused on wine. We don't drink wine, so this wouldn't interest us.

There are also day trips to Salzburg, or even as far as Hallstatt. I've been to both places (around 30 years ago). Hallstatt was very beautiful, but it seems to have since become the Cinque Terre of Austria: wall-to-wall tourists. Anyway, Hallstatt is awfully far from Vienna, and a day trip wouldn't do justice to Salzburg.

I thought of a self-guided excursion to some place in the Vienna woods, but all of the suggested destinations I've seen once again seem to feature wineries. I would be interested in some attractive little town, easily reached by public transportation, where we could spend a few hours.

My husband claims to know everything worth seeing in Vienna proper. He says two days should suffice, but I welcome other viewpoints on this. We are interested in art and architecture. We also love music, but I don't think there are many good concerts midweek. I really am not interested in tours of palaces, unless they hold some exceptional works of art; I do enjoy gardens.

Since we are arriving early, before check-in time, and leaving in the evening, I think we should find a hotel near the station, where we can leave our bags before check-in and after check-out.

All advice welcome!
You could visit the amazing Melk Abbey in an easy day trip from Vienna, by boat or car.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 04:47 AM
Forum Moderator

Merged two threads and deleted resulting duplicate post.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a remarkably short time for Vienna. I have been three times for several days each time and would be happy to go back. You really don't have time for a day trip, although I might add Graz to the list of possibilities.

My first trip, in 2004, I did the major sights - Schloss Schonbrunn, the Hofburg Palace, the Opera House and the day trip to Melk and Krems. For my more recent trips see: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/?s=vienna
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Help with öbb!!

I bought tickets for this trip from the ÖBB Nightjet website. The train is practically sold out, so I had to play around with the dates. The tickets I have are for departure from Pesaro on 31st August, return from Vienna on 3rd September.

The website is horrible. I had several failed attempts (unknown reasons, try later). Finally I succeeded in paying for the tickets, and my bank approved the charge. ÖBB mailed me the tickets. But a message showed up on the screen saying the transaction hadn't gone through.

I thought it must be referring to one of the earlier attempts, but just to be sure, I checked my debit card site the next day. The card hadn't been charged.

I tried to call their help line, but the phone number is invalid. (I knew it was invalid just looking at it.) I tried their Austrian number, but it's entirely in German, with no option for another language. I tried their English language site, but the nu​​​mber provided is the same German language version.

They have no live chat. I sent them an email, which they haven't answered.

One the "my tickets" link in the verification email they sent me, it says, "Your payment was successful", with a green check mark. Likewise, "Your booking was successful", and "Your booking confirmation was sent to [email protected] (which it was, with a link to print the tickets).

If the tickets are not valid I want to cancel the hotel while it's still possible without charge. I don't want to just show up at Pesaro station hoping for the best.

Does anyone know a way to contact ÖBB or Nightjet?

Last edited by bvlenci; Aug 17th, 2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

My card was finally charged, three days late, so it seems we're really going to Vienna.

We'll arrive on the 1st of September, before 9 am, leave our bags at the hotel, get a nice breakfast, and do some sightseeing; not very much if we didn't sleep well on the train.

The next day, I had thought of taking a day trip, but after considering the advice I got here, I'm rethinking that. I'd like to go to the Belvedere Gallery, for one thing.

Our final day is Sunday. We'll go to Mass in Staint Stephen's Church, and see a few other things before picking up our bags and going to the station for catch the night train home.
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 05:12 AM

I see that the 11 am Mass that Sunday at the Augustinerkirche will be Mozart’s Loretomesse. I cannot see on the listing if the music will be organ and choir or if it will be enhanced with other orchestral instruments. When we went, I believe the director that day was the conductor of the orchestra of the Staatsoper. Did not understand a word of the homily but I was transported by the experience. We arrived at 10:40 and should have been earlier: the church was crowded and a local couple offered us their seats.

https://hochamt.augustiner.at/erlebe...usik-programm/
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 12:54 AM

Baden bei Vienna is a good choice.

It is a health tourism destination thanks to the healing power of the thermal bath.

They have some small museums and galleries i believe. You can find out more from the destination management office.

Below is the cheaper thermal bath, which I suppose is a public pool. Vibrant and neat.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CKUCaMUKgAWjHDJ26