Short Stop in Madeira

Search

Short Stop in Madeira

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Stop in Madeira

We have an extremely short stop in Madeira while on a cruise. Four of us (in our 70's) would like to use a private guide so we can make the most of the limited time we have. Would like to go to either Barbeito Madeira or Blandys Wine Lodge, then if there is time would like to see Santana as well as taking a wicker toboggan sled ride. Squeezing in a lunch. Is this realistic? Does someone know of a guide that could take us around? The ship arrives at noon and we have to be back by 5p.m. Any suggestions would be great!
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a very short stop and by the time you get off the ship and get back on in time, you'll have a 4 hour window. The cruise ships may have to use tenders so that cuts your time down again. The two bodegas are just shops in Funchal and I doubt if you'll have any time to go to a vineyard. Santana is at least 45 minutes away and you may be disappointed once you get there. It's a lovely spot to pass through if you're staying on the island with a brief stop, but not worth the journey in your circumstances.

I think I'd head straight for Monte to the toboggan, have the experience and then find lunch somewhere. You just don't have time to do anything else and for the cruise line to advertise Madeira as a stop when they only give you such a short visit, is a bit disingenuous. You certainly don't need a guide.

Madeira is a lovely island and Funchal is a great town, but you need a week to say that you've been to Madeira.

Last edited by Rubicund; Dec 28th, 2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 11:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>The ship arrives at noon<<

That is when it arrives -- not when you get off the ship. I agree 100% with rubicund. The toboggan ride and a quick lunch is about all you have time for. OR eat a late breakfast on board and skip lunch on land (a shame) and maybe you could squeeze in something other than the toboggan.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Stop in Madeira

Thank you for your advice. I think we will just have to make the best of such a ridiculous short stop. To go tobogganing, can we just take a taxi from the port. Do you have any good suggestions for a seafood restaurant?
Thanks again ! Happy New Year 2020
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 01:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are plenty of taxis at the port to take you up to Monte. However, if you have decided to just do the toboggan, why not get a cab along the coast a little way and catch the cable car up to Monte. It's a scenic ride and drops you near to the toboggan's start point.

For seafood, try Mula or Gaviao Novo. Neither is cheap but both are pretty good.