MADEIRA, PORTUGAL-DESIRABLE DESTINATION?

Jan 18th, 1998, 09:56 AM
MARYANN

MADEIRA, PORTUGAL-DESIRABLE DESTINATION?

Hi:
My husband & I have recently
returned from Lisbon & the Algarve and loved it so much we thought we'd give Madeira a try.
We're thinking of going in late October.How is the weather at that time of year?? Any tips on accommodations?? Thank you!!Maryann

Jun 25th, 1999, 12:42 PM
L. Woods

I had always wanted to visit Madeira and did so in 1996 in conjunction with a trip to the Azores island of Terceira. Terceira is where my grandparents immigrated from and it was beautiful. I was very disappointed in Madeira in that it seemd as touristy as Hawaii. Should have visited 30 years ago before it was spoiled.

Jun 26th, 1999, 08:07 AM
Ruth

Hi Maryann,
we have just returned from a trip to Porto Santo, the small beach island next to Madeira (20 minutes by plane). Beautiful landscapes, 9km unspoilt beach very quiet, compared to the Algarve - Madeira itself I don't know- much less touristy, good wines and good food. The island only contains a nice typical portuguese town with aprox. 5000 inhabitants. A perfect place to relax! We travelled with two toddlers, but also as a couple or a single person I'd rather enjoy it!
Concerning the weather: In the first week of june it was warm but mostly cloudy, as far is october is concerned, ask a Madeira web-site.
We stayed in the Residencial Theresia directly on the beach, a 20 minutes beach walk away from the town. Its a great experience to make tours to the desert-like mountain landscape.
Have fun in planning your trip and I'm happy to give you more information if you plan going there!
Ruth

Jul 5th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Mary

Maryann,

Could you please share more information about Lisbon & Algarve. My husband & I would like to visit Portugal in late August but only have one week to 10 days! We are looking for beautiful beaches, some sight-seeing & culture!
Your help is greatly appreciated!!!
Mary

Jul 5th, 1999, 10:26 AM
Vincent

I went once to Madeira five years ago in November : the climate was good even though nothing tropical (warm enough to be on the beach, but chilly at night). AS you might now, Madeira itself doesn't have any beach, it's only swimming pools. The island itself is very pretty, and, I would say, contrary to LWoods, very much an example of old-fashioned tourism : no big ugly new buildings, a very Salazar-era tourism. But if you are looking for fun, go to Ibiza or stay in Lisbon : it's very geared to German and British senior citizens. But I've been told that there are great hikes in the mountains for more eco-tourism. To sum it up, I found it a very relaxing, but not thrilling vacation. And one bad point : whereas the Portuguese are normally the sweetest people on earth, Madeirans are kind of rough, island people. Even though as a Parisian, I know I should keep a low profile on that one...

Jul 8th, 1999, 05:23 AM
topper

!