Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Short layover at Charles de Gaulle Immigration?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI,
I found a decent priced ticket on Air France from Seattle to Dubrovnik with only a 75 minute layover at Charles de Gaulle airport.
It looks like both planes come in and leave in terminal 2E, but will I have to go through passport and immigration since I am coming from and going to a non Schengen country? I do not understand this very well and I know it will be a tight connection, but will this be doable on a Saturday afternoon to make this connection?
Thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 05:09 PM

I'm sure there are others much more knowledgeable about CDG, but based on my recent experience, I think you will need to go through passport control. Since the flights are in and out of the same terminal 75 minutes could work, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for error (i.e.long lines).

I recently flew from Prague to CDG, with a connecting flight to the US. Although the line to passport control wasn't long, they were in no rush and there were 2-3 windows for EU passports and just one for everyone else. My flight left out of a different terminal, so I had to take a shuttle, and with a 90 minute layover, I just barely made my flight...as in they were calling my name over the intercom and I was the last person on the plane...this without me dawdling, stopping at the bathroom, etc. My vote for a connection is always Schiphol (Amsterdam) when I can make it work. It's a huge airport but they know how to move people through. CDG is horribly inefficient, in my opinion.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

I planned to go through Amsterdam on the way home, but there wasn't the option on the way there. The only difference is I may not have to go through passport control if I am going to Croatia since it is out of the Schengen zone while the Czech Republic is, but I'm not sure.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 11:27 PM

I don't think the Schengen zone makes any difference regarding passport control. Be sure to book both parts of your arrival flight on the same ticket. You might call the airline to double check, but they may be able to check your luggage all the way through to your final destination which would make it much easier for you to make your connection. I would feel OK with booking this but some others might advise a longer connecting time.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 01:01 AM

Since Croatia is not yet a Schengen country I don't see why you would need to go through immigration in France. You stay airside for your transfer and shouldn't need to go through passport control at all. Same on your return. You will go through security again though.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 01:14 AM

75 min transfer in the same terminal is enough time, if it wasn't, it would not be sold as a connection. But if something happens to your 1st flight and it gets delayed/cancelled, the airline has to rebook you on the next available flight which might not be the next flight.

What choice do you have, since the flight arrives at 1405 from SEA and the next flight to DBV departs at 1520, if you don't want that one, then it is an overnight at CDG with a flight in the morning at 0845. Or you can take the flight that arrives at CDG from SEA at 0815 which is not enough time to connect to the 0845 to DBV, then you can wait all day for the 1520. At least this tells you that if the connection to the 1520 is missed, it is at minimum an overnight at CDG for one of the flights next day, if they have available seats.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 01:05 AM

There are flight connections SEA-DBV via Munich with LH and returning from ZAG to SEA, again via MUC. If you use something like Expedia for your search, it will throw up connections. Easier than connecting in Frankfurt or CDG. Prices around $1400. AA seem to be flying direct from Philadelphia to DBV but that could be pricey.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

It's interesting that Expedia seems to be exclusively United flights and they're not showing up at all on skyscanner.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 10:27 AM

Expedia is not exclusively showing UA flights. What is your search criteria? They are showing whoever flies on whatever dates you are choosing. I see connections using combos of at least 7 different airlines on the dates in June I'm using. You can also use ITA to search for fares.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 01:33 PM

Security in Terminal 2 probably will require a quick check of your passport and then a scan of your carry-on bags. Since that clearance covers many gates (it used to be a scan at each boarding lounge) the line-up can be substantial. Or quick; any estimate of time is guesswork.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 01:39 PM

While 75 minutes may be considered a legal connection by the airlines, it’s not enough time, this is only my opinion. We travel thru Paris several times a year and I’ve got nightmare stories, too many people trying to get thru and not enough personnel available, missed connecting flights. I wish you luck, maybe it will be fine and I can be called a naysayer.
Enjoy your travels.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 02:11 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been many years for me but short layovers in CDG were always doable as yes they were the same terminal. I actually enjoyed connecting there and it was always my first pick if provided. I always found it easier than other airports. As noted, if on the same ticket, it shouldn't be a problem if you don't make it.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by wunderbar2
While 75 minutes may be considered a legal connection by the airlines, it’s not enough time, this is only my opinion. We travel thru Paris several times a year and I’ve got nightmare stories, too many people trying to get thru and not enough personnel available, missed connecting flights. I wish you luck, maybe it will be fine and I can be called a naysayer.
Enjoy your travels.
i will not join Paris bashing albeit a lot of people dislike CDG. I have never had any problem there. Besides if you are on one ticket the length of layover is not your problem.

Last edited by ahbonvraiment; Jan 29th, 2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 06:33 AM

"Besides if you are on one ticket the length of layover is not your problem.<<

Last time something like this happened to us in 2017 and we were to arrive 1 day later, we had to retrieve our bags, had to stand in line for 3-5 hours to get rebooked, had to be transported to a hotel and stand in line 1-2 hrs with a full planeload of other people to get registered into an airport hotel, had to juggle some downstream hotel, train, car, and dinner reservations, and had to arrange to get into our gite 1 day later. Sure was our problem!!!

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Jan 29th, 2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 08:43 AM

I've actually never had a problem at CDG, either, and I've been flying into or out of it for decades, probably around once a year. I've made those type of connections, but sure, I'd prefer a little longer.

You aren't getting on a plane without having your passport checked, no matter where you are going. But that's not the same thing as immigration. I've had my passport checked by someone at CDG even when I was connecting on Air France and going to another French city. I think my passport is always checked when flying within Europe, they have to check it as it is your ID, you can't get on a plane without having some ID checked.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback!