Shopping in Paris

Search

Shopping in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Paris

I've done tons of searches on this topic, but surprisingly I don't find what I'm looking for.. Anyhow, I'd like to set aside a half-day or so on my Paris trip this September for shopping. Is this a good plan, or should I just plan on stopping into places while we're out doing our other sightseeing?

I'm sure we'll go to Galleries Lafayette and Printemps, but they will probably be way out of my price range to actually buy anything. Is there a good area to explore that would have smaller, local, affordable clothing boutiques? I'd just like to be able to buy a few items - tops, dresses, whatever - that will be my "I got this in Paris" clothes. (not just "I got this at the Gap. In Paris&quot I'm thinking under 50 euros for tops, maybe between 50-100 euros for dresses. These stores exist, right? Surely not everyone in Paris wears Chanel?!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM

Just like anywhere these days, even the Champs-Elysees is becoming Americanized! Except if you pay close attention, this avenue of diamonds and rubies has a McDonald's--the only place in the world where you will see white arches--which is in line with the strict policy of only white lights down the Champs-Elysees.

If you like LV and all those stores, you're in luck. If you don't have that kind of money like me--I'm a college student for god's sakes!--there are plenty of options on this street that won't cost you a diamond and a ruby. There are unique and affordable French stores nested between the Zaras and H&Ms (and just as affordable). If you spend a half-day shopping, you'll definitely find some nice Parisian pieces.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM

*Sigh* I really wish I could go shopping in Paris again. I spent two days there this past summer on my whirlwind 14-day tour of Europe on my first Contiki trip. Which is highly recommended if you haven't booked yet [www.contiki.com]. So jealous you're going to Paris!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For a mundane but useful shopping experience, there are always shopping malls. In Paris, there is a traditional mall (but including a Printemps department store) at Place d'Italie. There is also a somewhat small shopping mall (including Galeries Lafayette) next to the Tour Montparnasse. Or you can take the metro to La Défense for Quatre Temps, one of the biggest shopping malls in Europe. For total shopping mall overload, you can take the RER A to Val d'Europe for the mega shopping mall of the same name, attached to an outlet mall called La Vallée. It's all in Disney-owned territory with corresponding décor.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

So would a place like Quatre Temps have more unique-to-Paris shops? Or is it a lot of international chains?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM

My daughters and I bought very cool earrings, necklaces and scarves at Monoprix. Monoprix is very much like Super Target...clothing and accessories on the top floor; grocery store on the bottom floor. We didn't try on clothes there, but they had some cute stuff.

When we were there, the dollar was weak, and now it't about 9% weaker. It just wasn't fun to shop for clothes at other department stores, because everything seemed so expensive.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:31 AM

I was also going to suggest Monoprix. Some of their stores are bigger than others, thus more selection at bigger stores, but I actually saw a lot of cute and stylish clothes there. I got a ton of stuff for my SO's grand daughter. Very reasonable prices and I didn't think junky in any way. So, check it out.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Shopping malls have all of the international chains (Gap, H&M, Kookai, etc....) plus quite a few local things. Actually, you might prefer the Forum (www.forumdeshalles.com), in the dead center of Paris, covering four shopping levels. No giant stores apart from H&M and FNAC -- everything else is a boutique.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM

I love the Monoprix!

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM

I did a lot of shopping on Rue d'Alésia and on Av. du Géneral Leclerc on the 14eme. Take Metro Line 4, get off on Denfert-Rocherau, and then walk down South Gal. Leclerc until you come up to a church (forgot the name). There are lots of rather not so expensive shops (including a Zara and a Monoprix) in those 3-4 blocks.

At the Church (where Gal.Leclerc meets with Rue d'Alésia), turn right on Rue d'Alésia. You can walk four or five blocks full of little shops, boutiques, etc, that are affordable.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM

There is plenty of stuff you could buy at the dept. stores at fairly reasonable prices. As far as a lot of the cheap clothing you are searching out, there is nothing whatsoever special about it and it's not even made in France, you do realize that. It's made in third world countries like everywhere else.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:23 PM

You don't have to leave Paris. Go to rue de Rennes, between bd Saint-Germain and bd de Montparnasse, or to rue de Commerce (Métro LaMotte-Piquet-Grenelle). These streets are lined with all sort of stores, many of them very reasonable. And you'd be surprised how many of the ladies in their vraie Chanel and Repetto ballerines round out their wardrobes in the cheaper stores. Skip H&M and Wara. Nothing wrong, but you can buy that in the States. Some of the cheaper stores are French chains, but you're probably not going to see their wares in the States.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM

Shops that has not been mentioned are Promod and WE. It popular and in your price range. If you are planning to visit the dept stores then you will have no problem spotting them around the area. Another good place to wander around is St. Germaine & Marais for shopping.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM

Promod is a good one, but their clothes are quite petite! So if you're size 12 or 14, you'll be very limited in clothes that fit. Just keep that in mind.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM

There is also a store called ETAM I think? They have clothes at very reasonable prices.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM

Also Naf Naf which is reasonable and has some cute stuff. Both Naf Naf and Zara are cheaper there than in the states.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM

Galleries Lafayette is no more high end than Macy's, Dillards, and certainly no better than Nordstroms. It's a plain ol' department store that happens to be in France in my book, so you'll find it affordable, if not boring.

Jules
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
nbujic

Galleries Lafayette is gorgeous. Macy's and most North American chain dept. stores ( with the exception of high end stores like NM or Lord and Taylor, Sacks etc ) are dumpy, boring and a perfect fit for suburban malls.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Sorry, but that was exactly my take on Galleries Lafayette just below Montparnasse.

Dumpy. Boring. As most department stores are.

Jules

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -