Shopping in London near Victoria Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Near Victoria Station and best if within walking distance, is there an area where we can find stores similiar to H&M, Forever 21, Urban Outfitters etc. ? Are there discount stores like Loehmann's, Marshalls and TJ Maxx in London? Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:25 AM

I'd get on the 11 or 22 bus at Victoria and head to King's Rd.

TJ Maxx has some stores they are called somethig Maxx , not TJ but I can't remember ust what the initals are
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Haven't been to King's Road in a while, but you could equally well get on a bus to Marble Arch or tube to Oxford Circus and walk down Oxford Street. There's certainly a huge H&M at Oxford Circus and an Urban Outfitters a little further on. Between there and Marble Arch, there's a Uniqlo and a Primark for the cheaper end of the market. TKMaxx have a few shops way out of the centre of London, and from distant memory of the Lewisham branch, nothing very appealing in them.

Victoria Street is the main shopping street immediately near Victoria Station, but it's not known for clothes stores.

You could try checking out www.yell.com for King's Road and Victoria Street, to see what's available.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can I ask why you want to be w/i walking distance of Victoria Station? Two stops on the tube gets you to Oxford Circus w/ the entire length of Oxford Street before you.

Or the bus to Kings Road.

Victoria St has lots of shops but nothing I'd call 'trendy'.

Or - if you really need to stick close, there is a shopping center <u>right on top</u> of Victoria Station http://www.victoriaplaceshopping.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:53 AM

There aren't any of the discount stores that you describe in the centre of London.

Primark, New Look etc in Oxford St (short bus ride from Victoria) are probably your best bet if you want fashionable and good value clothing. Not designer.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM

"There aren't any of the discount stores that you describe in the centre of London."

TK Maxx (which is how America's TJ Maxx calls itself here) opens at 120 Charing Cross Rd on July 22.

Most people are a great deal more interested in the cheap fashion at New Look and Primark than in the frowsty brands for the mentally middle-aged that TK Maxx sells - which is why TKX haven't had the balls to move into central London yet.

Forever 21 have been telling the world they're going to open a London store for the past three years. Still all mouth and no trousers, though: they've finally summoned up the courage to say they're opening in Birmingham's Bull Ring this month - but they haven't got round to actually selling anything there yet.

To repeat others' points: there's bugger all decent shopping round Victoria. A few standard clothes chains in the mall over the station - but really aimed at commuters who've forgoten to buy something to go out to dinner in tonight.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
2g

TK Maxx also has a store near M & S on Kennsington High St. You won't find any good buys there, most of the merchandise is the same as in the US, but costs more.

Go to Primark and New Look. Also, try the markets if you are not looking for good quality merchandise.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
WHY???
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:08 PM

THere is a shopping mall on one side of Victoria with a Zara, Top Shop, M&S, Accessorize, Monsoon, Jones Footwear, and a few other random high street stores. I work across the street from Victoria Station (on Buckingham Palace Road) so know the area very well. If I want to do more in depth shopping, I just on the tube at Vic Station and take it one stop to Sloane Square so that the whole length of Kings Road is available.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM

Thanks flanneruk, The name escaped me and was driving me nuts!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:37 AM

<<<frowsty brands for the mentally middle-aged that TK Maxx sells >>>

Untrue
TK Maxx margins will not support central London overheads. Its does have some mentally middle-aged frowsy clothes, but if you look for them, it also sells seriously cool clothes as well.

Not everyone can be bothered with the shop, and I understand that, but don't write it off. You cannot call Alexander Mcqueen frousy or middle aged!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 02:04 AM

Raindrop92620, as others have suggested, you are a short hop and a skip from the UK's (Europe's?) most famous shopping street for low end but fashionable chain stores (plus high end stuff in Selfridges). Oxford Street is home to the flagship megastores of Primark, H&M, TopShop, Urban Outfitters, Zara and all the rest.

Can't stand it myself - waaay too many overexcited teenagers - but you might love it. Having said that, I'll be shopping reluctantly there myself later today - got a highly fashionable civil partnership to go to and NOTHING to wear.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 04:30 AM

The TK Maxx in Putney is just for women and carries some pretty serious brands - Chloe, Marc Jacobs, Missoni, etc. I would travel across London for it, but it rather nice to have down the road.

If I'm honest, I prefer the smaller Top Shop and Zara stores near Victoria to the flagships. More edited selection, WAY less crowded.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

We have a Zara in Orange County, but London's Zara may be entirely different. Anyway, will check it out
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Lizziea06,

What's the mall called? Thx.

>>There is a shopping mall on one side of Victoria with a Zara, Top Shop, M&S, Accessorize, Monsoon, Jones Footwear, and a few other random high street stores.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM

Cardinal Place

http://www.cardinalplace.co.uk/shops-offers/store-plan

There is also a House of Fraser right nearby which will carry a capsule collection of many other high street stores including, Jaeger, Ted Baker, French Connection, Karen Millen, Whistles, etc., etc., etc.

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/londo...efault,pg.html
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Lizziea06,

Thx!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM

FWIW, TKMaxx has just opened a discount clothing shop on Charing Cross Road, where Borders used to be, opposite Foyles.