Shopping in London

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Julie

Shopping in London

What are a few things you can think of that are must-buys in London?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:47 AM
xxx

An umbrella!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM
kitty

Go to Lush. Great body and facial products that are made fresh. Wonderful bath products. Fun place to just go and look. You can see their products on-line at www.lush.co.uk. They have stores all over England but, unfortunately, none in the US. I do mail order from Canada when I need products because the shipping is cheaper than from England (lushcanada.com).

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 12:11 PM
lou

Toffee from Thorntons.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Tammy

One of my favorite shops in London is Accessorize. They sell purses, scarves, belts, etc. There are several locations throughout London, including Covent Garden and Knightsbridge near Harrods. My favorite purchase is a purse that I bought in May and I've carried it all summer.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Nigel Doran

You should go to any supermarket (Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose) and get biscuits. Others have posted their raves about McVitie's chocolate digestives, Hobnobs (crunchy, oat biscuits, with or without chocolate - plain or milk!), Jaffa Cakes. The range is wide.
Also, chocolate bars like Crunchie, Flake, Wispa, Aero, Dime, Boost, Twix and lots of others don't have US/European equivalents, and at 50c or so each, they're cheap.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:44 PM
carolyn

Nigel, I love Jaffa cakes. In addition, Cadbury bars are better than those in the U.S. which are made by Hershey.

Chocolates from Charbonnel et Walker on Old Bond street are to die for.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Julie

I'm hungry already. Thanks everyone!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:56 AM
aj

I like to purchase a hand-painted enamel box every time I am in London. They are small and easy to pack. If you like to collect small items these are nice.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Mia

Books, scones, and toffee!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:14 PM
kelly

If you like tea, a hint would be to bring home the regular tea from a supermarket (i.e. Tetley's). For some reason, it's sooooo much better than the tea we have in North America.

I would also recommend the shoe shops there! So much more choice and a lot more fashionable, and they cost about the same as they would at home if you don't get too extravagant.

And I know they're supposed to be "out" now, but pashminas are a good buy as well.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Ben Haines

A solid silver cream jug, about 250 US dollars. Table linen from Ulster. Marks and Spencer underwear or pyjamas. London teatowels from a big store (not from a souvenir shop). A model London bus from the London transport shop in St James Park station. A tee shirt to say Mind The Gap.

Welcome to London

Ben Haines

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Betsy

Kitty, good news! Lush is opening a store in San Francisco. No word as to the date though. I plan to be among the first in line to stock up on my favorite figs and leaves soap.