Shopping in Brussels

Search

Shopping in Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Brussels

I will be in Brussels in the first week of January and I'm wondering are there any winter sales there yet? I'm planning to do some clothes & shoes shopping. Thank you.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:33 AM

they start on january "
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:33 AM

sorry, the 3th
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Yes, the sales will be on; they start on Jan. 2. You will find a great selection of shoe stores in the Avenue Louise/Toison d'Or area--there are at least a dozen shoe stores, from expensive designer to budget. Don't expect huge savings though; the discounts usually go up as the sale period goes on. So the first week, you may find many things marked down only 15% or so; by the end of the sale period, the stuff that hasn't moved may be marked down 30% to 40%. And you will find few of the mega discounts you find in the U.S. after the holidays.
Clothes--what do you have in mind? Designer, mid priced, budget? Coats, dresses, separates? A good starting point is the main Inno department store on the Rue Neuve (which also has a great kitchen department in its basement). It's at the end of the City 2 Shopping Complex (tip: avoid this area on week-ends when it's MOBBED).
The Avenue Louise/Blvd. Waterloo area is home to most of the designer stores and you will find some discounts there. The rue Dansaert is a more avant-garde shopping area and truthfully, I hardly ever go there, so I don't know what the best deals there would be.
The rue Haute, near the Sablon, is a good place to look for quirky home decor items. Many stores there are open Sundays, FYI.
While you are out and about shopping, a few restaurant recommendations: Cafe Lola on the Sablon, Les Brasseries Georges at the intersection of Ave. Winston Churchill and Chaussee de Charleroi.
The Chaussee de Charleroi (starting at about the 950 street number and up) is its own shopping district that tourists miss, but has great shops. It caters to well-heeled Belgians, plus British/American/Canadian expats. If you take the 92 tram to the St. Job stop and walk through the St. Job square to the Chaussee de Charleroi you will be in the middle of the shopping area.
Pick up a copy of the Bulletin weekly english language newsmag and check their shopping section--they often have some interesting ideas.
Happy shopping!
BTilke (Brussels)
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:46 AM

If the official starting date is the 3rd (I thought it was the second), you can probably still get the sale prices on the 2nd. For example, I do a lot of shopping for my husband at the Bouvy store on Place Louise--last year, they offered us the Jan. sale discounts during the last week of December.
And don't forget leather goods--Longchamp and Lancel (both on Ave. Louise) might have some good deals, considering their merchandise is already cheaper here than in the U.S. (my Lonchamp backpack cost 200 euros in Brussels; Nordstrom's in Chicago sells it for $340 plus tax).
The other restaurant recommendations (I got sidetracked on the Ch. de Charleroi info), Au Vieux St. Martin on the Sablon (the food is rather expensive, but great atmosphere and decadent!! cappuccinos) and Belga Queen, a hip spot on rue Fosse aux Loups. Near the Grand'Place but very definitely NOT a tourist trap. Can be quite expensive for dinner, but has great lunch specials.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

These are such a helpful answers. Thank you very much, I'll let you know how did it go. Shoes, I'm coming...
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

I almost forgot! I wish you a very happy New Year...