Shopping for old carpets in Istanbul

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for old carpets in Istanbul

We've never been to Istanbul. We'll be visiting it at the end of the month. I've been thinking of getting one good carpet. I'd prefer a good antique one (not that old: maybe 50 to 100 years old). We enjoy bargaining, but would also like some tips on where to go: reputable dealers. Any advice?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:35 AM
ira

Hi santa,

How well do you know your carpets and how well do you know the market prices?

Also consider how you will get the carpet home. Even if you do find a bargain, your savings will probably be used to pay shipping costs.

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:52 AM

ira makes some very valid points. In Istanbul, it seems like just about every guy you meet is either selling carpets or shilling for someone who does. There are some high-end carpet shops and I think I would be inclined to trust some of them, but I just don't know enough about the products to really feel comfortable purchasing that way. If there is an issue, how do you work through it?

I visited a dealer in Vancouver BC that had a very impressive selection and I'm thinking that these types of specialty operations exist in a number of large cities in North America. It seems to me that getting the carpet from such a place would be worth some extra money because it would be so much less dicey.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:38 AM

You may need to ask around quite a bit before you find someone who sells carpets.

Seriously, Istanbul is sort the major retail market, but Konya I believe is where many of the carpets are made. You may be able to get them cheaper there.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When I worked briefly in Iran (before you-know-who) I became infatuated with Persian rugs and tried to become knowledgeable so that I could find one or more and strike a good deal. Here's what I discovered.

The highest quality oriental rugs - this applies to Turkish as well as Caucasian, Persian and other regions - are either (a) exported almost at once, or (b) wholesaled to major brokers and distributors in London or other European cities.

I priced some rugs - looked at pattern, color, knot count - all that, and compared them to comparable rugs available in the UK and N. America. No surprise, the quality and prices of the rugs sold overseas were higher and lower respectively - often by a lot. I am told this is also the case in modern Turkey, and even moreso, since the ability to "distress" or otherwise make newer rugs look antique, has improved greatly over the last couple of decades.

So especially if you're looking for a higher-quality or antique rug, by all means go only to a reputable dealer. And certainly I would do some serious shopping at home if you can, or in a major city en route, to see what prices are so that you have a basis of comparison once you're in Istanbul.

We'll be there also in April and, while we're not looking to buy anything expensive, we'll look for something smallish and cheap, mainly for the fun of haggling with the best in the world. Like the Olympics of combat shopping I'm betting.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Hi santamesa,

In Turkey especially in Istanbul COVERED BAZAAR (Kapalicarsi) you will see many ANTIQUE CARPET, but some of them are FAKE that you can not understand. You have to find some big reputable company like BAZAAR 54 or Kismet halicilik they are little bit expencive but they have real OLD ONES
You can deal with the prices if you love to bargaining.

Have a Good Shopping in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:37 PM

If you dont know much about carpets, it is a difficult task to buy one. What is a good carpet? Well, first educate yourself through the books that you may get from libraries. Even some of the websites, give you some idea. The carpet industry in Turkey is not geared for an assembly line production. Turkey draws more tourists from Europe and if I say, they clean out the good carpets, it is some what true. Regardless, the shops are full of carpets. In my recent visit to Turkey, I have seen rather large carpets. Then, I found out, these are made in other countries, including China. The labor is cheap and patterns are copied. Every time I go, I buy three, four carpets and 4-5 kilims. I have been buying carpets in Turkey for the past 30 years and I have become an expert. Yes, they can make a new carpet to look like an old one. Either the wool is washed in chemicals before weaving or after is is woven. If it is done after, it is easy to detect; i.e., with your fingers try to look to the bottom of the pile. Usually it is different color then the surface of the pile. In this case, the carpet is washed in chemicals to make it look like an antique. Now, if you see one like this, ask the shopkeeper,"I reaaly loved it, it is so beautiful, how old is this antique carpet". If he does not admit it this is a new carpet, then you know it. Simply be polite and walk out. Keep in mind, by reading the books, you will not become an expert but, the more you see, the more you handle, the more you get down to your knees on them ,the more you will learn. In covered Bazaar, there will be hundreds of shops. If you are not going to the other parts of Turkey, visit several shops in covered bazaar. Get an idea and feeling. Shopkeepers expect price negotiation. Between the Spice Market (Misir Carshisi - translates to Egyptian Market) and the Central Post Office (Buyuk Postane - translates to Grand Post Office) there is a shop called Sumerbank. It used to be a government owned/operated establishment, but it has been privatized. They sell clothing, shoes and they also have carpet gallery. There are no antiques but all new. Believe it or not, in 2002 I found the most well weaved (birinci kalite - first or premiere quality) Hereke Carpet. My other carpets that year I bought are Yahyali and I bought them in Nevsehir the province of Cappadocia.

Even before you leave for Turkey, why dont you visit some of the oriental carpet shope in your area. You will not find Turkish carpets, very seldom. But, lots of Pakistani, Indian, Chinese made in China but they are oriental carpets,, Iranian. You will get an idea about price, colors etc. If they show you a carpet that really shines like silk, BEWARE. I see them all over in the carpet shops and here in the US, mostly the ones referred as Bughara, they tell you it is the best wool they used to make these carpets and therefore they are shiny. Rubbish, they are washed in chemical and that is why they are shiny. When wool is introduced to chemicals, wool becomes brital and within few years, your pile disappears. Therefore, educate yourself through the books and you will know more about what you are buying.

Good luck and enjoy your tour in that wonderful city of Istanbul.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Carpet Buying is a delicate subject. A short while I have been in the business while I was giving consulting to the owner of the company for his hotel investment.

First of all the best Carpet you can buy is the one you like best... is the golden rule.

Second best thing to know a Turkish carpet is far more durable than any other oriental rug due to double knot technique.
You may not always find a 100% vegetable die but thats not the most important issue anymore.

Thirdly; you can not go wrong ( almost not ) with Yahyali,Dosemealti,Hereke wool on wool or pure silk, milas.
Finding a reputable dealer is most important ofcourse after all. They can ship the carpet ( anysize ) by Fedex or such and you pay around 35 Usd. per sqm. usually can be negotiated within the price.
Cappadocia is one of the good centers for carpet buying. ýstanbul has also a lot of choice. Why not going Hereke while in istanbul where the looms were only working for the Sultans at once.
Happy shopping and enjoy your carpets.
By the way have a kilim next to a carpet its real nice form of firts carpet weaving. ( flat woven woolen and nomadic ones )