Reload this Page >

Shipping wine home from France

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Josie

I'll be in the Bordeaux area this June and would like to ship some wine home. How do I do this? Is it possible?

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:44 AM
PB

Every state has different rules about importing wines. Many reputable vineyards will tell you that they only ship to a distributor in the US.... <BR>At the moment - it's probably cheaper to buy the wine there in the US, because the dollar is so strong. <BR> <BR>PB

Old May 11th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Lori

Here's what we were told in Burgundy last year - they can only ship to certain states, and if they have a US distributor. The US is strict as far as labelling on the wine bottles. You will notice the health warning on each bottle of wine purchased in the US. This is a US rule, and is put on the bottle by the distributor. What we do is bring an empty suitcase (21" carryon) some bubble wrap, and bring the wine home that way. I understand the duty on wine over one liter is very small, but we have never been stopped by US customs (knock on wood)

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Ess

But does the wine taste as nice when you're home as it does when you're there? I'm afraid the magic will disappear like Cinderella's coach.

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Martin

Do you need to bring the bubble-wrap with you, or is it easy to find in France? <BR> <BR>Martin

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Lori

I suppose you could find bubble wrap somewhere in France, but why waste your time looking. Go to Staples or Office Max here in the States and take it with you.

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:48 AM
StCirq

Having wasted lots of time searching for bubble wrap in France, I'd advise you bring some with you.

Old May 11th, 2001, 08:38 AM
joann

When we were in Bordeaux we found that the wine stores in town all said that they could not ship wine to us. Each vineyard had different rules. However, if you go to St Emilion on the main street there is a tiny wine shop which has a sign outside that says "We ship wine" - I can't remember the name of the place but it's a very small shop and St Emilion's main street is very short and the proprietor had many crates of wine labeled and ready for pick-up and shipment all over the US. She was very helpful. Freight is quite expensive but if you have a wine cellar and can stock up then you can have several cases shipped - the more you ship, the more you save. There are, however, many states that you cannot have wine shipped to, so don't be disappointed if yours is one of them. You do have to pay customs duties on the wine once it arrives in the US and you have to go through a broker to have the wine cleared. All of this really makes it a nuisance. The best advice we got was to enjoy the wine while we were there!!

Old May 12th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Rex

In contrast to the experience reported by StCirq, I have never found it time comsuming or difficult to buy bubble wrap. Virtually any stationery store or art supplies store (papeterie) seems to have it. In French, it's called &lt;&lt;papier aux bulles&gt; (pronounced byool - - literally means "blisters"). <BR> <BR>And as has been posted many times before, the best way to bring wine home is in your own luggage - - up to a case or two. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 12th, 2001, 09:13 PM
xxx

I've found the best way to bring wine home is in my bloodstream