Reload this Page >

Grande Bretagne or Electra Palace?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Janelle

Spending two nights in Athens after touring the islands for our October honeymoon. We'd like a place with an Acropolis view, A/C, and perhaps a swimming pool, between $100-150 per night. At this point it is between Grand Bretagne or Electra Palace. Has anybody been to either or both? Any other suggestions?

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Linda

We just returned from Athens and stayed at the Electra Palace. I know nothing about the Grande Bretagne. I chose the Electra Palace for its great location--right in the Plaka with great restaurants and strolling in the evening. The rooftop pool and view of the Acropolis at night were beautiful. The breakfasts were probably the best we had during our entire trip. The staff was very nice and helpful. (I found the Greeks great everywhere!!!) Our room was simple.

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:57 PM
tom

Whereas no place in Athens is truly "quiet", the Electra Palace has the edge since it is on a small, narrow Plaka street. The GB is right on the major square of Athens, Syntagma Sq .. just way too much hustle & bustle for my tastes. I am a light sleeper, and did not have any problems at the Electra Palace (stayed there August 2000). <BR> <BR>Whereas the GB has very elaborate public lobby, I've heard that some of the guest rooms are a bit dumpy (not 1st hand info, though). <BR> <BR>Agree with Linda that Electra Palace has a great rooftop pool and terrace, with beautiful Acropolis views. Many of the rooms do, too, although they are in high demand. <BR> <BR>A big plus for me is that Electra Palace has some non-smoking rooms, and their breakfast room has a no-smoke area. Guests were pretty good at complying. <BR> <BR>The EP overall seemed more appealing to me.

Old May 12th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Claudia

I stayed at the Grande Bretagne twice. Rooms were good size, with moderate to large bath rooms. You can walk to the Plaka, no problems or regrets.... hhowever, now that I ve read others responses, sounds like Electra Palace has a lot more going for it! I'd go there I think.

Old May 12th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Janelle: <BR> <BR>The Electra Palace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <BR> <BR>My husband and I had the first three nights of our honeymoon there in '93. <BR>We had a great view of The Acroplois (hope thats right). We were provided with champagne and a lovely fruit and cheese basket. This may sound simple especially after a huge ole American wedding but, Janelle we savored that basket of treats for days... We still have the basket. The pool is on the roof and offers privacy despite the location...in Greece, "everybody" is on the roof or you can see them dining, sun bathing etc. <BR>The Electra Palace also stored our luggage (4 big bags, we travelled with two other bags) while we island hopped and went on to Turkey. <BR>We were on our honeymoon for 6 weeks and The Electra Palace was our "home" in between the trips to the islands and to Turkey. I can give you more info. if you like. Breakfast was EXCELLENT, no joke! We have restaurants that treated us like royalty in Athens because we were honeymooners. I can give you those names if you want Oh, I suggest you get a transfer from the airport. If it is your first time in Greece, you will appreciate that one who knows is driving. <BR> <BR>We just got back from a fantastic vacation so, if I respond slow forgive me as I am multi-tasking and once again sneaking on this website that my husband teases me about. <BR> <BR>Best Wishes Oaktown

Old May 12th, 2001, 09:53 PM
tom

Janelle, <BR> <BR>if you opt for the Electra Palace Hotel, do not confuse it with the Electra Hotel. Same management, but a different hotel.