Reload this Page >

Sheraton vs. Hilton vs. Crowne Plaza

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 08:13 AM
Chels

Hello, I need some experienced advice. I am trying to decide between the following hotels for my upcoming visit to Rome: <BR> <BR>1. Hilton <BR>2. Crowne Plaza <BR>3. Sheraton Roma <BR>4. Sheraton Golf Resort <BR> <BR>I have plenty of information re Hilton and Crowne Plaza. My confusion lies with the fact that the Sheraton properties are much less expensive that the Hilton and Crowne Plaza. (I already assume some of this has to do with location; I will tackle that later!) I do not mind spending the extra money; however, if I will get the same quality at either of the Sheratons (i.e., room size, cleanliness, condition of property), I will save the price difference, and do some shopping instead! I would like to hear about experiences at both Sheratons please. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 08:47 AM
Ed

You have the differences tagged correctly, but I would sharply disagree with your conclusion. <BR> <BR>Neither Sheraton (nor the Hilton) is well-located for sights, shopping or reataurants. While they offer occasional shuttle service, you may find yourself offsetting any apparent savings with cab fares if your schedules and the hotel's don't match. <BR> <BR>In any event, you'll be poorly located, will spend time commuting that could otherwise be spent on sights or shopping. Is your (limited?) time in Rome a good trade-off for a couple of bucks? <BR> <BR>You'll likely also find yourself rather prone to eat dinner in the hotel (groan) rather than checking out the finest food in Europe in the center of the city. <BR> <BR>A chacun a son gout. For us, though, the choice of hotels in Rome is always settled by considerations of location. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 08:50 AM
Ed

I should add that while the Crowne Plaza is an excellent hotel in an excellent location, if cost is a consideration there are many alternatives to the Crowne Plaza, equally well located, certainly comfortable, clean and in good condition. Examples off the top of the head: <BR>La Residenza, Santa Chiara, Genio <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:31 AM
Maira

I stayed at the Sheraton Roma back in May 1994. The hotel is about 10 minutes car ride from the city center and it caters mostly to business traveller. They have a free shuttle van that drops/pick-up guests to/from the Roman Forum area every hour on the hour. Very convenient. Upscale hotel, beautiful lobby, the rooms are very comfortable with nice amenities. Staff was courteous and helpful. The breakfast buffet, included with the room price, was fantastic. Nice pool area, in case you need to rest your feet (when are you going?). There is a parking lot adjacent to the hotel. I do not recommend driving into Rome. <BR> <BR>A word of warning: there is a metro station about 1/4 mile away. During daytime it is a nice stroll from the hotel to the station, you walk by a very nice park. However, at night, prostitutes from both sexes invade the park and I wouldn't recommend walking back from the metro station to the hotel after dark, take a taxi, if need be.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:41 AM
Paul

Chels, <BR>We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last October and thought it was the absolutely perfect location, beautiful hotel, and NOT too expensive (because it is part of a chain, there may be discounts you can get. We did, paid about 295,000 lire for a spectacular room). It is right near the Pantheon, numerous cafes, and the exact center of a a wheel to reach destinations in all directions--Coloseum, Spanish steps, Villa Borghese, Vatican, Travetere etc. <BR>We loved it and Highly recommend it.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 10:32 AM
Phil

dear Chels: <BR> <BR>I agree with the other posters: the Hilton and the Sheratons are too far from the city centre for any serious sightseer. In addition to that, the Sheraton Roma has a wing overlooking a highway interchange... <BR> <BR>Be advised, however, that there are street works going on in front of the Minerva Crowne Plaza (there was a big hole in the ground just 20 yards from the main entrance last week), so I suggest you check the alternatives named by Ed. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>Phil.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:56 AM
Chels

Thank you all for your advice. I will take it to heart. I took the precaution of booking rooms at the Crowne Plaza, and I will also explore the other options mentioned. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, you advice is truly appreciated. <BR> <BR>-C