Reload this Page >

Shelia - Your Ideas, Please - Wales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM
TravelLaughter

Cannot locate the original thread, but flight from Cardiff is 14:40 and our path is along the coast in south and mid Wales. Ideas of great things to see? We walk like history, don't climb, lol, enjoy food and wine ... but above all, love meeting people and getting a feel of the place.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to find any of your previous threads (there are 11 at last count), just click on your name and they will display in the frame to the left.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:20 AM
TravelLaughter

Thx, one learns something every day. Have a good one.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Or look under Blackattire, I think that was your latest incarnation?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM
TravelLaughter

Now, now, the fodors rules of civil behavior are important and must be followed at all times. In that spirit, please do have a lovely day and enjoy every moment. It has been fun communicating, but I really must resume my travel discussions and planning. If you have something valuable that would be of assistance to the trip, please feel free to post it for our consideration.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
TravelLaughter

Oh, Shelia, one other issue occurred to me ... are you possibly familiar with any local wine bars along the coast in Wales? They can be fun if one wishes to dine cheaply and doesn't mind standing, which might be a pleasure after driving for several hours.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Since you are having trouble keeping up with your postings, which is no wonder, considering you change your screen name daily or hourly, I was being helpful. I reminded you of the last one you used..or would you rather use Blacktie? How about Leone?
And would that be Sheila who lives in Scotland?
Try clicking on her name if she has indeed been helping you.
You have a good day too. It is always nice to communicate with you.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:45 AM
TravelLaughter

Shelia, and caroline, since you do actually have some experience in Wales, as well, the start point is Cardiff, along Pembrokeshire, past Cardigan, and finally north at Porthmadog, where, unfortunately the time in Wales runs out, and we must hasten back to Cardiff for BMIBaby to Edinburgh. Fives day, simply insufficient for such a great country, but it's all that's available, thus if you've ideas of interesting places to visit as we roam along, we'd be very interested in seeing them. Thank you, and have a good day.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I spent a week-end in Snowdonia and loved the area. The mountain climbers looked like colored dots in the distance. Only a day in Cardiff, but did get to go to the sheep-dog trials in the countryside.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I fear you are confused. I have been to Wales once in my life.

maybe someone else can help you.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
where are you coming from? where do you live? ...please answer so we can eliminate you as a troll.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM

I think TravelLaughter lives in the same town as all those other trolls -- Leone, Blacktie, Blackattire, and whatever other names Joe uses. I can't remember the town, but no doubt he lives under a bridge there with the other trolls. Unfortunately the bridge is a long way from the pharmacy which explains why he's off his meds once again.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 12:00 AM

The Pembrokshire coastal path is great for walking, spectacular ciffs and little bays, you may even be lucky enough to see seals. If you like history, Wales has plenty of castles, see:

http://www.castlewales.com/home.html

Two castles that spring to mind on your journey are Pembroke and Harlech.
At Porthmadog, don't miss the steam railway and of cource Portmeirion. See:

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:08 AM

On the assumption you really want to know (I don't understand the troll references)...

I don't know how long you are planning to stay in Cardiff but in two days you could see the castle, explore the city centre & its arcades & take the open top bus tour. Get off the bus tour at Cardiff Bay & visit the Cardiff Bay visitor centre & the fabulous new Wales Millennium Centre (maybe see a show there one evening), & get the little 'train' across the Cardiff Bay Barrage if the weather is good. The main museum & art gallery is supposed to be good but I haven't been yet.

After leaving Cardiff, you could divert north a bit into the valleys to see the remains of Wales's industrial heritage - there's an old coal mine which has been turned into a visitor attraction called 'The Big Pit'. Just north of there again is the Brecon Beacons which is lovely.

Back going west along the south coast of Wales, stop at Laugharne to see the Dylan Thomas boathouse.

Then drive round the Gower (the peninsula west of Swansea) for lovely unspoilt beaches. The Mumbles, where Swansea meets the Gower (and where Catherine Zeta Jones is from), was originally a fishing village & is quite nice.

The National Botanic Garden of Wales, just off the main east-west road near Camarthen, is a nice place to visit on a fine day although it's still very young. The Great Glasshouse was designed by the famous contemporary architect (Lord) Norman Foster.

Pembrokeshire is a national park & is lovely just to drive around and/or walk parts of the coastal path. I second the recommendation of Pembroke Castle. St David's is very quaint and has an interesting small cathedral. Fishguard is also a quaint little coastal town and has an interesting exhibition on 'The Last Invasion of Britain' (?1796 - a motley crew of Frenchmen arrived nearby & were intimidated into surrender by the local women, according to legend).

I don't really know the west coast north of Pembrokeshire, I'm afraid, but I think Aberystwyth is the main resort on the west coast.

On your way back to the airport, stop for lunch at the Blue Anchor at East Aberthaw. It's very ancient, has a thatched roof & stone floors, & has just re-opened after a bad fire a year or two ago (& the food is good pub food) (& it has good beer). It's only a few minutes drive from the airport.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:26 AM
TravelLaughter

Thanks, caroline and Maria. Will be in Cardiff only one night, at St. David's, and the next day explose Swansea (yes, Dylan thomas), Gower Peninsula and lunch near Mumbles, then on to Penally near Tenby for the next night.

Plan is to stay near the coast all the way up to Porthmadog, and I've already reserved at four other inns or hotels, thus am not free to change our path, but will of course be able to drive inland to see some of the sights you mention.

Yes, will be in St. David's one night, and plan to see the cathedrtal, then head north thur Cardigan, etc. to stay in Eglwysfach, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion for lunch at East Aberthaw - that will work, because the flight to Edinburgh is not until 16:40.

Sorry, Shelia - you were helpful with Edinburg restauarnst, assumed you knew Wales as well. Again, thanks to all for all the ideas, will use most, and for ignoring the odd remarks.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM

"Sorry, Shelia - you were helpful with Edinburg restauarnst, assumed you knew Wales as well."

Yes, that's logical. When someone helps me with a restaurant suggestion for St. Louis, I naturally assume they know the Canadian Rockies as well.

Travel Laughter, are you aware that Wales and Scotland aren't even adjacent to each other? And out of curiosity is this trip to Wales before or after or between your upcoming trips to Paris or are we still pretending that's someone else?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Just out of curiosity, since there have been a flurry of these questions this month.
Is this trip to Wales going to be part of the QM2 trip?
Then on to Paris for your "annual" visit? Where will you stay in Paris, the Lutece again?
Thanks, have a good day.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Patrick:

You mean St Louis isn't in the Rockies???

Why was I not informed???

-- An aggrieved Canadian
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:57 PM

BTW: Scarlett: good news on the medical front....thx for yr sincere interest
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:11 PM

<font color="red">
YAY!!! Tedgale that is Wonderful!!!
Thank you so much for letting me know, I have been hoping for good news
So where are you going to celebrate? LOL
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -