Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shared/small meals in Europe restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 02:12 AM
Larry

Does anyone know whether or not the restaurants in Europe will let you order a single entree from their menu and split it between two adults? Or do the restaurants there perhaps offer smaller portions for adults who don't eat as much as the normal size meal? From the way most writers in this forum describe their restaurant experiences in Europe, the meals sound like a lot of food to eat. We are seniors and rarely do we eat big meals anymore. Here in the USA some restaurants offer a senior menu which has smaller portions, while other restaurants might allow us to split a meal (sometimes they may add an extra few dollars for this service, sometimes not). Some (very few) will even let my wife order from the kids' menu. In those cases where we do order separate meals, we usually wind up bringing leftovers home in a "doggie bag". How about in Europe? What might our options be when we get there in a few days? The food sounds great, but we're not likely to go the "doggie bag" route there, so I have visions of either eating too much or leaving quite a bit of food on the table when we leave. Anyone got any ideas how we might approach this dilemma?

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 02:25 AM
Elaine

It depends a lot on whereabouts in Europe you're going and what type of restaurant you are in - some will be happy to let you share a main course, whereas others won't be so accommodating. However, generally speaking, I think you'll find that portions in European restaurants are much smaller than in the US, so the question may not even need to be asked. Just have a look around at what other diners are eating to get an idea.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:05 AM
NotTo

American portions are gargantuan - even w/ most senior menus. (Maybe one reason we are the most overweight society on earth - after Samoans, heh?)<BR><BR>You will not have any trouble finding small sized meals.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 08:23 PM
Lexma90

As the previous posters have said, the portion sizes in Europe are nothing like in the states, so no need to worry! And while you'll see many different courses listed on menus, it is very common to order just two courses (let's say, an appetizer and a main course, or a main course and a dessert, or in Italy, an appetizer and a pasta course). And remember these are all small portions, so I can always eat two (and 3 if the dessert looks good) courses in Europe, where I often can't finish all that in the U.S.<BR><BR>Though I've never tried it, I think it's pretty uncommon to share a course/dish.<BR><BR>At more casual restaurants (I'm thinking France here, since that's where I visited most recently), at lunch time it's pretty easy to find lighter meals - just a salad, or an individual-sized pizza, savory crepes, and omelettes - many casual places have a list of omelettes, a rarity in the U.S. (except at breakfast places). In Italy, there are many pizza places that serve pizza by the slice. That's a nice alternative when you can't decide between eggplant or zucchini pizza!<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 02:49 AM
Myriam

I've never been to the States so I don't know about the size of the portions. <BR>In Belgium it's perfectly possible to order only a main course. Or two starters. Whatever you like. The 'doggie bag' request is not so popular overhere!<BR>Restaurants tend to have the same menu for lunch and dinner but you will find more and more places with special smaller lunch dishes, like salads, omelettes, croque monsieur, baguettes, etc.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 07:18 PM
john

<BR>Larry,<BR><BR>That's a very good question. My one similar experience with splitting meals was with my 10 year old daughter in the restaurant of a very good hotel in The Hague. I asked the waiter if it was OK that if I ordered the 4 course dinner, and pointed to it on the card, we could split it -- Stephanie would have the appetizer (a hefty seafood cocktail) and the desert, and I would have the salad and the main course. He said OK. We had a pleasant dinner - until the bill arrived. The waiter charged us a la carte. I made a protest, loud, really loud, and reminded him of what he had agreed to. He would not budge from his new position. I gave up after a few minutes of frustration and signed it to the room. As we were walking out of the restaurant a man came running over to the door and apologized profusively. He had heard the argument and would make it right. He owned the hotel. He made it right. <BR><BR>So ask the waiter up front and make it clear what you are ordering and what you are paying. I didn't expect justice when I walked out but was lucky. Make a cow if they try to give you the bull. <BR><BR>John Bermont<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com<BR>

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 07:29 PM
bettyk

In May, my husband and I spent 2 weeks in Austria, Germany, Swizterland and London. After the first day we found that there was just too much food for us to comfortably eat at one meal, so we started sharing most entrees and sometimes a dessert also. We did not encounter any problems at all in any of the restaurants. I think one restaurant charged us a nominal fee but the others did not. I don't think this is as unusual as some people would like for you to think, so don't feel intimidated.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:46 AM
Lesley

In France or Spain, no-one will bat an eyelid if you share a dish. Just ask for two plates. It is very common in France for parents to share their meals with their children in this way. Also, in these two countries they will not mind if you just order a starter. My sister eats like a bird so she just has a starter and no-one bats an eyelid. On the continent, they are more concerned that you enjoy what you eat than that you conform to some expected pattern of behaviour.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:54 AM
Keith

We used to share plates all the time as students and didn't have any problems with it. As other posters have said, portion sizes are generally smaller in Europe and you may not necessarily have a problem.<BR><BR>My 70+ year old auntie has similar problems, but (in the UK, anyway) has never had problems ordering from childrens' selections. In fact, she has found that if she asks for a "granny portion" of a main meal most places are only too happy to do this.<BR><BR>One point, though - you might still be charged the full amount. Because of this you could consider ordering the full portion and leaving what you don't want - as long as you've enjoyed what you've eaten nobody's going to care what's left!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
ebp

we were last in paris 3 weeks ago - 3 sisters with our children all less than 9 years old. the restaurants had no problem allowing us to share meals with our kids - just explain and ask for extra plate.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:40 AM
Alice Twain

In Italy you will not have much trouble. Restaurant portions ar pretty small compare to home portions (Italian home portions): at home most people will have 120 grams of pasta, while an average restaurant portion can be half as much. On the other hand,m at home one usually only eats one kind of food (one large dish of poasta and a little salad or some cheese, for instance). At any restaurant you will be able to order only an appetizer, one dish of pasta each and, if you are stil hungry, share a desert or a a meat dish just swapping the dish. Usually restaurant orders are not given the waiter all at the same time: the waiter will as you first for the drinks (unless you are in an upmarket restaurant that has a wine list), than he will leave you time to decide whether you want an appetizer or not and waht to have for appetizer and pata dish and come back for the first order, than he will come back again for the second dish and again once more for the deserts. Along this process you can stop anywhere or skip one or more course (have only a meat dish and a salad or a dish of pasta and some vegetables...).