Sgian Dubh

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sgian Dubh

I would like to pick one of these ceremonial knives up while in Scotland. We will be traveling by train, Eurostar, ferry, and then checking luggage when flying home. Will I have problems going through security at those places? I don't need to invite more trouble or buy something I can't keep.I suppose I can order one online and have it shipped, but it isn't quite the same.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:43 AM

Why not have it shipped if you buy it locally?
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM

The vendor of the knife would be able to advise you on how it would work on those methods of transportation. They are usually very knowledgeable as they often sell to people who don't live there and will need to take it with them on the various transportation methods you mentioned.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Good advise.
Do the train/Eurostar stations screen like airport security? Do I have to worry about bringing water or juice or a small swiss army knife (Its one of those comfort things and it has my corkscrew -wouldn't want to go to Paris without one)?

Is it all carry on or do people check bags so they have more flexibility in what they can take? I am sure I will find out as soon as I get there, but like to be prepared.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Probably unlikely that you would encounter any problems unless you attempted to take one on a plane or Eurostar as hand luggage. Best advice is to keep it wrapped up in your suitcase, not on your person. It is illegal to carry knives in the UK, and due to recent tragic events the police are clamping down. Having said that I still wear my own sgian dubh at family weddings -I think the police would realise there's a difference from a rather blunt sgian dubh at the sort of offensive weapons causing the problems in the inner cities.

Ordinary trains (and ferries for that matter) have no baggage screening whatsoever - the risk profile is totally different from air travel. Eurostar does x-ray lugggage and use sniffer dogs, but there are no restrictions on liquids. According to their website knives have to be sent separately as registered items. BTW you cannot check your luggage on any normal train I'm aware of in Europe, you must carry it on the train yourself and stow it at the end of the carriage or above your seat depending on the train configuration.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've bought several over the years. I would not worry about taking it w/ you on the rest of your travels. Just have the merchant ship it home for you. They will take the VAT off the top and that will almost pay for the postage/insurance.

It will be waiting at the post office when you get home . . . .
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 01:42 AM

We have both carried sgian dubh in checked baggage and posted them in advance. You can't carry them through security.