Reload this Page >

Sewers & Catacombs

Search

Sewers & Catacombs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 11:17 AM
Sandra

Sewers & Catacombs

Have any of you gone to the Paris Sewers...personally they don't appeal to me<BR>but my husband thinks they are on the "must do" list.<BR>Also he wants to check out the catacombs...what are your thoughts.<BR>The guide books seem to recommend the Catacombs but don't rate the sewers very highly????<BR>BTW...he is not a mole!<BR>Thanks for your opinions...

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:15 PM
ellie

Havent had the pleasure of the sewer tour, but we did visit the catacombs a few years back - fascinating but definately a horror show for claustrophobics (myself and our then 12 year old son) - we ended up begging an attendant to let us out through an emergency exit. Having said all of that, my husband thought it was fabulous and finished the tour on his own. It's a surprisingly large area to cover (or at least it seemed to go on forever)...airless and really scary. You'll either love it or hate it - either way it will be memorable!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:12 AM
MOLE

go to this site for more information on the sewers and the catacombs:<BR>http://parisfinder.traveurope.net/PF-underground.html

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:42 AM

to the top

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Nancy

Hi Sandra,<BR><BR>Yes, my husband and I went last December to the Catacombs. I had it on my must do list and, frankly, it was pretty amazing. It is a bit out of the way, but in a nice section of Paris. I rate it highly although if you are claustrophobic, this might not be for you. It is in small, cramped tunnels underneath Paris. It's rather warm, muggy, dank, and with all the "parts" lying around, not for faint of heart. Didn't do the sewers (yuk! I can abide dead people but not the droppings of the live ones!) and don't think I would have if I'd known about them. Hope this helps. Feel free to email if you need more info. Nancy

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
sewer

"to the top!!!"<BR>That's exactly what Ellie said.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:40 PM

moving on up again

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:05 PM
interested party

Not much action in response to the sewer. Surely someone has visited this fine historical engineering marvel and can give the lady a whiff of an answer. I guess I will have to go myself and report back.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:29 PM
David

I visited Les Egouts (the sewers) in June of 2001 with my father, niece age 14 & nephew age 13. We went there because the Catacombs were closed at the time.<BR><BR>It wasn't very busy the day of our visit. We walked down the initial passage way looking at various exhibits and old equipment used in the sewers. As we made the turn to go into the area where the “waters” flowed past it was like hitting a solid wall of smell. I believe the Fodors guidebook referred to the odor as “tangy.” Maybe piercingly pungent is more appropriate. While it certainly didn't have the same odor as an outhouse or port-o-potty, it did have a very strong smell. My niece, nephew and I had to back up into the entry hall so we could catch our breaths from laughing so hard at our predicament. Part of our humor was derived from the fact that my dad was busy using the bathroom while in the sewers.<BR><BR>With the kids it was rather fun. It had a good gross out factor for teens because they were reluctant to go. “Sewer! Ewww! That's disgusting!” as I recall my niece saying. I enjoyed it but won't readily go again If you're reluctant you might want to sit up top on a bench and watch the people and the Seine river traffic go by. It isn't a very long time to see what you want in the sewers, about 45 minutes. You're certainly motivated by your surroundings to cut the dawdling and keep up a good pace.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:33 PM
stinky

I took the metro to the sewer entrance 2 years ago wishing to take the tour. I didn't see anyone around so I sat down for 30 minutes waiting for the door to open. I finally checked my tour book and low and behold , I was there the day they were closed. SO I can't tell you how they were. It is an easy location to find but...... sorry. I do plan to do it next time I'm in Paris. I'm always looking for something new to do.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:40 PM
Sandra

Thanks to everyone...think it is as<BR>I had thought...catacombs maybe...sewers<BR>no! Husband can go to sewers alone...I<BR>can enjoy the scenery above ground.<BR>Thanks again!