Seville to Portugal

Search

Seville to Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville to Portugal

I'm planning to visit Portugal from Seville with my ultimate destination being Porto. My original thought is to take the Alsa bus from Seville to Faro (arrive early morning with one overnight stay), from there by train to Lisbon (one overnight stay) and then train to Porto. I've spent 2 weeks in the Lisbon on a previous trip and also visited Fatima, Nazzare, Obidos, Evora, Sintra, etc. so my stop in Lisbon is for pateis de Belem and piri piri chicken at Bonmjardin and quick visit to a city I love.

Wondering if anyone has alternatives for 2 overnights other than Faro and Lisbon before moving to Porto. Transportation must be by bus or train as I will not rent a car and drive. I do not mind long distance rides because I love watching the scenery and meeting other travelers and locals. I am open to suggestions either in Portugal or the west coast of Spain.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Spain doesn't have much of a west coast(except Galicia in the northwest). That's where Portugal is!

As an alternative of going via Faro you can take a backdoor route into Portugal which is still reletively unknown, due to the trains reinstated between Badajoz and Entroncamento only a couple of years ago..

1.day Take a train from Sevilla to Merida or Caceres. Both are on the UNESCO World Heritage list for different reasons: Merida - well preserved Roman ruins Caceres - medieval town

The only train leaves Sevilla at 17:18 and arrives to Merida at 9pm, Caceres 10pm.

2nd day Sightseeing in Caceres or Merida and take a train to Badajoz from Caceres 12:20 Merida 13:20 arriving to Badajoz at 2pm.

From Badajoz take the train to Portugal leaveing at 16:24 arriving to Entroncamento at 18:25. Entroncamento is an important rail junction and you can continue your trip sooth to Lisbon, arriving around 8pm or north towards Porto.

More information:

Rail schedules for Spain: Renfe - Viajeros - Horarios

International train from Badajoz to Entroncamento: https://rail.cc/en/blog/lisbon-madrid-train-day

comboios-regionais-linha-leste-badajoz.pdf

Last edited by BDKR; Jul 25th, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Great information. Both Merida and caceres are of interest. Bus from Seville to either gets in early for a full day.
Thanks for the suggestions!