Seven October Days in Britain

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 09:08 AM
Mike

Seven October Days in Britain

I'm looking for advice on an upcoming trip to Britain. Our plan is to rent a car, which we will pick up in London. We are more interested in the countryside and would like to see Scotland (plan to spend two nights in Edinburgh). Other activities of choice include hiking, distillery tours, castles and pubs.

What is the best (most scenic) route to Edinburgh from London, and what things can't be missed?

Thanks!

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 09:21 AM
Sheila

Mike

Could I suggest as an alternative, that you do your London stuff, take the train to Edinburgh and pick the car up after you've "done" Edinburgh.

If you meander up through England and the Borders you will find nice places to visit, but given your stated interests "hiking, distillery tours, castles and pubs" you might find that you get more bang for your bucks by saving car rental charges till the cities are done.

If that appeals, let us know and we'll try to put together a good route covering those interests.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 09:25 AM
kamk

Hi Mike, 7 days in Britain is not a lot! I would head out on the most convenient motorway to York and spend a couple days in York and North Yorkshire. There are several castles,Howard and Richmond being two of them and beautiful countryside. Then I think it's the A1 that takes you into Scotland. You could also go up the western side and spend a few days in the Lake District, which will be wonderful in October. Enjoy.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 10:41 AM
Mike

Have been doing much reading on the Isle of Skye, and now want to "fit" this into my itinerary. What kind of average km/hour can I expect to travel in Scotland. Is fitting Skye into an itinerary that includes Edinburgh, Stirling and Oban in seven days realistic?

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 01:24 PM
Sheila

Depends. Do you need to sleep, too?

But seriously, if you intend to do this, and you are flying into London, I would suggest.

Day 1- London; sleeper to Inverness.

Day 2- hire car, drive to Kyle of Lochalsh and onto Skye for lunch. Staay overnight.

Day 3- take the boat fom armadale to mallaig and follow the road from there to Fort William, then drive south to Oban. Stay overnight.

Day 4- zap down to Stirling. Stay overnight

Day 5- do an early morning run to Edinburgh. Stay overnight.

Day 6- Edinburgh; leave car; sleeper to London

Day 7- go home.

If that appeals, we can put some flesh on the bones for you.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Mike

You know, the more I think of this, the less desire I have to fly into London. I'm looking to fly into Glasgow... the trips back and forth from London are really a waste of time.

Now I'll have time to Golf!

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 12:09 AM
Sheila

_Much_ better idea.

Tho' the best golf courses are on the east coast.

Feel free to e-mail for more details

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 07:56 AM
Gayle Potter

I liked Sheila's response of 7/26 regarding the train to Edinburgh. How long is the train ride to Edinburgh? Is it a pleasant ride? When we get there we would rent a car. Is it easy in the UK to rent a car in say Edinburgh then return it to the LGW airport? We have lots of places we want to see in 2 weeks and are trying to choose the easiest and best transportation. Thanks

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 08:51 AM
Sheila

The train journey is 4- 41/2 hrs. and it is nice at least once you get north of Peterborough. No problem with hire cars.

Please be in touch if I can help more

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 06:38 PM
Jerry

Hi Mike,

Although everyone should see London at some point in their lives, a 7 day vacation to England and Scotland is like saying you saw everthing in New York in about an hour. I would skip London on this trip. Fly directly to Edinburgh. Stay there 2 nights then take the train to the Lake district for 2 nights, then York for 2 nights and fly home from Manchester. You will waist a lot less time, and you will not need a car for any of it. Each of those places are best seen walking, and all have GREAT B & B's. Have a fun time.

Jerry