serious Flamenco in Andalucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a two week trip to Madrid + Andalucia in October (last minute, as always!)

He is an amateur (but quite accomplished) classical guitarist, and he would like to get more than the normal tourist exposure to Flamenco. We will be in Sevilla at the end of the bienal, and will definitely attend some concerts, but can anyone suggest any more off the beaten track flamenco experiences in Sevilla or elsehwere in Andalucia?

Particularly good guitar stores, bars where guitarists gather to jam, schools that might offer a full-day workshop or class, etc.

Thanks in advance-- I've been lurking on the boards and getting lots of good info for our itinerary, which still remains to be finalized. . .
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM

rbws,
While posters laclaire and josele know much more than I about pure flamencco (but I am a great fan), while we're waiting for their replies, I'll just make some suggestions.

I would start your search, actually, in Madrid and visit some of the renowned, classic guitar shops, which even might be able to give you info about flamenco guitar workshops in Seville:

José Ramírez on Calle la Paz 8
www.guitarrasramirez.com

Manzanero on Santa Ana 12
www.guitarrasmanzanero.com

Manuel Contreras González on Mayor 80
www.manuelcontreras.com

And I would check out El Flamenco Vive for flamenco Cds. on Conde de Lemos 7
www.elflamencovive.com

And in addition to a visit to the 2nd nightly performance at Casa Patas (please go to the later show, as it's so, so much more authentic, more genuine), you might want to check out a flamenco artists' hang out, Bar Candela on Calle del Olmo 2, near the Antón Martín metro. But you'd need to go late, late, late. My experience has been the later the hour, the more duende (soul) the flamenco that you see and hear will have.

In Seville, I would visit Cristina Hoyo's new Museo del Baile Flamenco on Manuel Rojas Marcos 3.
www.museoflamenco.com

There is a guitar shop in the Santa Cruz quarter in Seville, José Luis Postigo on Mesón del Moro 12, which might send your husband in the right direction.

My Plaza Abierta, Guía del Flamenco guide lists lots of guitar shops in Granada as well, if you're heading in that direction, including a couple on the hill that leads to the Alhambra from downtown, the Cuesta de Gómerez (#10 and #26)

Have fun!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Forgot to mention a flamenco CD store in Sevilla, the "Compás Sur", between the Plaza del Salvador and the Plaza de la Alfalfa on Cuesta del Rosario 7.
www.compas-sur.com
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, thanks for all the tips! Yes, we will be in Granada, as well, so we will try and check out places in all 3 cities-- let's just hope we find time for "regular" sightseeing, as well!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM

If you're at all serious about Flamenco (the real deal) you need to look at http://www.andalucia.org/flamenco/index.php and you need to order the

Guide to Andalusian Flamenco (ISBN 84-8176-438-8) - a book-and-CDs volume that lists regional events, suggests driving routes along towns where Flamenco is happening now or is historically important, and much much more.

You get it from http://www.flamenco-world.com/ - it will help you prepare the trip and make the most of it.

Then when you get to Madrid, visit their store at C/Huertas 62 (across from the Prado) - they honor the siesta (of course...) so they open from 11:00 to 14:30 and from 17:00 to 20:30.

Caution: Your credit cards will melt in that store if you are a Flamenco addict!

Their international mail-order service is prompt and impeccable, it's a class operation.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM

rbws,
the best flamenco show with great guitarist were in Granada in the Albaicin area gypsies show.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Yes, rbws,
A second recommendation for Flamenco World on Huertas.
If you read Spanish, you might get good info on the following:

www.deflamenco.com

And Jerez has an English page on flamenco there:
http://ciudaddelflamenco.jerez.es/
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM

We were lucky enough to be in Jerez during a Flamenco festival. The performances were wonderful and not at all like one sees in touristy places ; although there were some tourists at the festival
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the great info. We're also fans of flamenco music & dance and hope to see as much as possible in Sevilla, Granada & Madrid. I was at the 2000 Sevilla Biennial festival and loved the performances I saw at the main concert hall, but it was far from the feel of a performance in a small bodega/bar. My problem was staying up late enough to see impromptu performances in Sevilla bars; perhaps we'll do better this time!