Sending postcards?

Sep 13th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Sending postcards?

Once upon a time I did, but no longer. Do you expect to receive one? Sometimes I think it's sent for bragging reasons. How many send postcards?
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:50 AM

I do. But usually just to a few immediate relatives, who I know enjoy displaying them on their fridges. Most of them don't travel, for various health/budget/neurotic reasons; some travel a LOT, mostly on business.

For my sophisticated graphics arts designer son-in-law, I always find a postcard of a museum's most extravagant, elaborate, baroque, hideous knicknack -- unless I can find one with a bicycyle in it, since that's his hobby.

Once I took a week of vacation to do some serious mainenance work on my house -- everybody else had been sending postcards to the office about their fun vacations, so I sent them a postcard of a local landmark that's a mile away.
Sep 13th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Amy

I usually send about a hundred postcards, but it really isn't for bragging reasons (she pontificated.) Most of them are sent to my current and former students, because I'm sneaky and figure that I'll educate them in any way that I can.

Sep 13th, 2003, 03:05 PM

I love receiving postcards from friends, absolutely love it and it's certainly never once occured to me that they were bragging!

It's also never been a motive for me when I send mine.

Because I travel quite frequently the only people I try and consistently send postcards to are my neices and nephews and my sister and my parents. I know that they all enjoy receiving them and my parents like to string them together and hang them down the side of a tall kitchen unit.

Then, on most trips, I send some additional ones to different people - some trips my sister in law and some school friends might get one, on another trip, I might send some to friends from university, on another still I send a few to newer friends who share the love of travel.

These are a nice way of staying in touch but sending postcards to these people from every single trip would be too much and cease to be enjoyable.

I really like sitting and relaxing in a cafe for an hour or two, watching the world go by and writing a couple of postcards.

Given that most of my recipients travel as much as I do, I have never thought of postcards of bragging, either when sending or receiving them.

The neices and nephews don't travel, though I did take the oldest to Paris last year - her first trip out of the UK. I hope that postcards will instill in all of them an interest in the rest of the world and prompt them to find out more about those destinations. Sometimes it even works!!!

Sep 13th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Many of my friends ask for postcards.
It was a real hassle finding stamps in Europe, though. I ended up sending Rome postcards from the Czech Rep., because I couldn't get enough stamps in Italy. When I mailed the second set of postcards out (from Prague), they got there SOONER than the ones I had mailed 3 WEEKS earlier from Rome!! Screwed up postal system in Italy, I must say!
Sep 13th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Most of the people I know now use email, so I tend to send abbreviated versions of my journal when I find time to go to an Internet cafe/store.

For the few who do not use email, I send 1 or 2 postcards during a trip.

I love to find wonderful postcards of the places to which I've been for my own pleasure. I'll usually add some of them to my album at the end of a trip.
Sep 13th, 2003, 03:25 PM

I used to send postcards before the availability of internet connections. My husband (a techie type) insists on taking his laptop when we travel, so I compose a running travelogue and Email it in bits and pieces to family and friends as we go along. They seem to love it.

We traveled to Europe as a family for the first time when our son was five years old. He wrote a few words (with a little help from his parents) on a postcard at each major destination, which we mailed to the grandparents. When we cleaned out my parents' house after they died, I found a ribbon-wrapped packet of all the postcards adorned with his chunky lettering. A real treasure.
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:02 PM

I travel a lot and so do many of my friends. I like getting postcards and so do they. To some I send paper postcards, and to some I send email postcards. Just go to www.webshots.com, type in a key word, and pick out some great photos for your email postcard. You can add as long a message as you like. Last week I was in Paris and sent email postcards of a gargoyle overlooking the city.
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:10 PM

I never brag and I always send postcards to loved ones. They'd be insulted if I didn't. I even put them in envelopes because they arrive sooner if you do. I enjoy receiving postcards from friends. I love people who are passionate about travel.
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM

My mother still sends me tons of postcards so I feel I must send her some on our trips, however, of late we send electronic postcards: e-mails with photos attached. If it includes us I feel it is more personal. My husband has to bring his computer for business, so we download our digital photos to his computer, and attach one to our e-mails. Sometimes it can take a long time if the connection isn't fast or the photo big but I much prefer this to sending a phsycial postcard.
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:24 PM
cmt

I have always liked to send and receive postcards. I don't think sending postcards is showing off at all, and I don't think e-mail is an adequate substitute for a tangible card with a picture of some foreign place and a foreign stamp that has been processed through another country's post office and flown all the way to another country. I don't understand people (like my boss) who feel uncomfortable getting a postcard because they have the notion that postcards are only for family, but I become a little inhibited about sending cards if I think people have weird attitudes about receiving them. I also don't understand those few people who never acknowledge receiving cards and absolutely never ever reciprocate. But, that said, I feel no obligation to send anyone a card, I don't think anyone is obligated to send me one, and I'm not necessarily consistent in my card-sending habits. I might send a card to some acquaintance I don't know especially well whose grandparents were born in the place I'm visiting, or I might send to a young hospitalized internet acquaintance who loves getting mail from far-off places, or a postcard can be an ice-breaker when I've been meaning to call or write to an elderly friend. I send cards to people who rarely if ever travel, as well as to people who travel much more often and more widely than I do. To the latter, I often like to send a card from some remote little town that they will probably never visit. I do not send cards to brag, and I don't think anyone sends me cards in order to brag. Cards are sent and received in a spirit of fun.
Sep 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM
lyb

Not only do I send them, but like many here, I love receiving them. My library in my home is decorated with a travel feel, therefore, I have all the postcards I receive in a big basket and it is fun every now and then to go through those postcards and read them. I have postcards that my aunt & sister sent me in 1974 when they went all over Europe for 3 months. I buy lots of postcards, because as a photographer, I appreciate others' photography and have those in a different basket.

I send postcards to my immediate family and a few close friends. I also always make sure that I send them to friends who may be having a birthday while I'm away. I will also send them to people if I see something that reminds me of them.

I never think of it as bragging because the people I send them to and receive them from usually are the same and we obviously have all done are doing our fair share of traveling.
Sep 13th, 2003, 05:21 PM

I love to send postcards,
and it is usually to those I know will be happy to know I am somewhere I love.
Plus, since I love getting them so much,
I think I assume others also get a thrill from finding one in the mailbox.

but, I would never assume I would automatically be getting one,
unless it was from my bestfriend,
or my children .

I know my parents just love to get them , esp. from ,my children.
Sep 13th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Lil

Yes, I send postcards. When my children were younger I would always send them one daily so they knew I was thinking of them. Also, my parents get them. They are in their 80's and enjoy receiving mail that isn't junk, bills, or asking for donations!

Unlike most, I would never send e-mail postcards. To me they are not personal enough. Something about holding a real postcard, reading the handwriting, maybe setting it bedside in the evening to fall asleep thinking of that place and person that gives it spirit. It means alot to me that someone took the time out of their busy vacation schedule to think of me.
Sep 14th, 2003, 05:54 AM
jmw

I love postcards, sending, receiving, from special places, from the bookstore, from the drugstore. Some of the replies at this thread are wonderful, especially the one 'to let them know I think of them everyday.' -- or something like that. J.

Sep 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM

I always send postcards to those who expect to receive them (work, family). I go one step further and send one from each city we visit to my son (who joins us on these trips) with antecdotes about what we did, what he enjoyed, a funny moment, etc. so that he will always have the memory in written form, as well as a photo, stamp, and postmark of when he was there. He puts them in a big photo album.
Sep 14th, 2003, 01:41 PM

NYCFS I've often pondered the pros and cons of posting postcards in envelopes. I weigh up the benefit of faster (and probably more reliable) delivery with the joy of having a franked stamp on the postcard itself. I usually opt for postcards without envelopes but it's always a bit of a toss up...