Semmerling Train Vienna to Hallstatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth it? Some people say most of scenery out of Vienna is not that great until it gets further on. But I cannot find information showing exact route.

Also does anyone know if I just select hallstatt as end location if it takes me to the place with ferry--Hallstatt Bahnhof? When I add the Bahnhof part to train app to reserve it does not recognize it--only accepts Hallstatt
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 01:39 AM

The itinerary via Semmering - Bruck an der Mur - Selzthal goes through the mountains whereas the itinerary via Linzg oes through the lowlands..
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 07:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I can not offer any help other than to concur with the above poster, because we always drove to Hallstatt. The route through Linz is not nearly as scenic at the route through the mountains. So it's a tradeoff: speed versus scenery. If this is your first visit to Austria and you have time, the scenery is worth the longer (and more complicated) trek. Otherwise, if Hallstatt is on your bucket list, bring a book whilst the Linz route rolls past farmlands and fields toward the Hallstatt Bahnhof.

Keep in mind that you are beholden to a ferry schedule from the train station to Hallstatt.
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 05:18 AM

There isn't really a station at Hallstatt, the train stops at the ferry wharf and the small ferry is timed to arrive when the train arrives. A beautiful way to first see Hallstatt.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the insight into train travel