Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Vienna, Salzburg, Hallstatt & Munich - any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 05:32 PM
Lori

Does anyone have any suggestions for my October 1999 trip to Austria? I am staying 3 nights in Vienna; 2 nights in Salzburg, 2 nights in Hallstatt and 2 nights in Munich. Is it easy to get to Hallstatt from Salzburg? Where is Attnang-Puchheim? Are there alot of trains running between Hallstatt and Salzburg? <BR> <BR>Any info will be helpful. Thank you.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:02 PM
gpotvin

Attnang Pucheim (AT) is about 81 KM east of Salzburg and Hallstatt is 65 KM south of AP or 43 KM north of Stainach Irdning (SI). AP is on the mainline between Vienna and Salzburg, so there are several trains per day each way. The train from AT to SI is a local and it appears from the Thomas Cook Timetable that there are about 17 trains each way each day. <BR> <BR>First of all get a good guide book or two and decide what interests you. There is plenty of good music and history. All the big cities are fun to explore on foot if you are up to it. Schoenbrun Palace outside Vienna is a great palce to spend a half day. Hohenzollern Castle offers a great view of Salzburg - you can walk up or take the funicular. Munich has lots of great architecture and food. You will be encouraged to go to the Hofbrau House and it is nice, but we really love the beer gardens - outside eateries with food and music - they are hidden but search for them it will be worth your time. One is located west and north of the main train station in Munich.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Sara

Mike's Bike Tour is a great way to see Munich and learn about the sites. It is inexpensive and the territory is flat so it's not strenuous at all. You stop at a beer garden for lunch in the middle of the tour. The Hofbrau Haus might be worth trying for an evening if you like a rowdy good time. It is very touristy, but I laughed the whole time I was there (with people I had met on the bike tour.)

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 10:51 AM
Bob

Salzburg: You may want to consider staying in Berchtesgaden, Germany instead of Salzburg. Beauriful little town with plenty to see and an easy drive into Salzburg. Munich: Has a good subway system. The downtown area is nice to explore. Vienna: Expensive. Take a tour of the city and outskirts. I found it a hard city to drive in. A lot of people and one way streets. I much prefer more time in Salzburg and less time in Vienna.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 12:59 PM
Ken Horn

Lori- In addition to those above, here are some additional suggestions for Munich. <BR> <BR>You need at least 1 day in Munich to see the Glockenspiel at the Marienplatz at 11 AM and go to a biergarten to eat. Also, both the old (Alte) and new (Neue) musuems (Pinakothek) are worth a few hours if you are into museums. A walk north on Ludwig Strasse in Schwabing at dusk is also interesting. Just go north on Wein Str. (on the left side of Marienplatz as you face the City Hall (Neues Rathaus) where the Glockenspiel is) to Leopold Strasse. Stop at Munchner Friehiet and catch the U-Bahn back to the middle of town. Englischer Garten is also nice if the weather is good. Chinesischer Turm is a nice biergarten to rest at in the Englischer Garten. <BR> The best place to exchange money is at the Post Office right across the street from the train station as you go out the main door headed East, in the opposite direction from where the train tracks enter. The TI is on your right as you go out this same exit. A room service is in the TI. <BR>Get a good map at the TI. Check the TI for bus tours. A good one would include Neuschwanstien, Schloss Linderhoff, Wieskirch, and the Abby at Andochs. It shouldn't take more than a one day. <BR> If you opt for a second day in Munich instead of the bus tour of the castles, you might choose between a half day at Dachau or Schloss Nymphenburg or the Deutsches Museum. The Deutsches Museum is dedicated to technology, old & new. The pedestrian zone between the Bahnhof and Marienplatz is also worth a stroll. It's easier and quicker than the walk through Schwabing described above. <BR>Too bad you don't have more time to spend - I hope the weather is good and you have a wonderbar time! <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 03:25 PM
Peg

Lori, here is a great site to get all the train schedules for wherever you are going in Europe - http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/detect.exe/bin/query.exe/en - (just copy and paste this URL)then fill in where you are departing and arriving and bingo there are all the train times and connections. Peg.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 06:28 AM
denise

Hi all, Regarding Lori's question, <BR>We booked a room for 4 nights outside of Saltzburg in St. Wolfgang with the intention of touring Saltzburg and also Hallstatt area. How long a drive is it from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt and would it be better to split our time and spend 2 nights in St.Wolfgang and 2 in Hallstatt. I'd prefer to stay in one place if it's not a hassel driving to Hallstatt for the day. Also, how long does it take to drive from Innsbruck to St. Wolfgang. We'll be there on Oct.25th to the 28th and I just hope the weather won't be too cold and rainy. Would never have been able to plan this trip without the help of all you wonderful folks on the forum. Thanks again.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 07:27 AM
Jochen

<BR> <BR>Denise, <BR> <BR>St. Wolfgang is a good basis for visits to both Salzburg and Hallstatt and also a very nice place to stay. Salzburg is about 60 km ( 1 hour ) away, Hallstatt is even closer: 35 km ( 40 minutes ). The drive from Innsbruck to St. Wolfgang should take something like 3 hours if you use the motorway via Salzburg and exit at Mondsee. It can indeed be cold and rainy, but unless the weather is particularly bad there should be no snow on the ( lower ) roads. <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 06:21 PM
Denise

Thank you Jochen for your very appreciated clear and simple answer to my question. Denise

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 04:33 AM
Kate

Lori- <BR>That sounds a lot like our trip that we planned for the summer. Unfortunately, it rained during our time in the Salzburg, Hallstatt area and we skipped Hallstatt. (we couldn't see any mountains for the clouds!) Hopefully you'll have better luck. <BR>Definately do not drive in Vienna. We parked at the ubahn outside of town, and took public transportation the whole time. Schonbrunn Palace is something else. If you are driving, you'll love a stop halfway between Vienna and Munich in Steyr. It is a delightful town for an evening, and the Hotel Mader was our favorite lodging of the whole trip. Salzburg is expensive to stay in- we stayed in Bad Reichenhall (Germany) and drove in, although there are many trains too. We did Salzburg in a day. South of there is the Königsee where you can take a lovely boatride. For driving directions and times, go to www.cwlease.com and you'll get all the information you need. <BR>Have a wonderful trip. Even in the rain, there are some beautiful sites!

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 07:40 PM
bmajor

In addition to the Hohensalburg castle, the Bad Durrnberg salt mine was very interesting and a nice break from touring the city. Hellbrunn Castle on the outskirts of the city was a big plus <BR>in our opinion too!