semester abroad in london

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, A friend of mine's son is planning to spend the spring semester in London at Regent's College. He is new to traveling. Can anyone recommend websites/blogs that would be geared to this type of experience? I've given him a "Rough Guide", directions to websites such as the British Tourist Authority and my own "pearls of wisdom" but was hoping to give him some more references geared to his age (about 20) and the college abroad experience. Thanks in advance
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I don't have any written references, but I could be a personal reference, as I studied in the UK during college and am back now for graduate school. Many college friends studied in London.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM

How about lonely planet (www.lonelyplanet.com)? There are a lot of young people there talking about travel and study abroad.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've always thought the Timeout guides were more for college age.
www.timeout.com

He should also take a look at the Thorn Tree forum on Lonely Planet.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM

The Let's Go series of travel books is geared toward college age, mostly at the 21 - 30 age group.

I bought the book on Paris and found it fit me quite well at age 67.

I am not into the disco scene, but the tips on cheaper places to sleep and eat was most welcome. Sightseeing opportunities were well described.

I think a whole semester in London would be an education in itself. I just hope the prices don't shock you. London is an expensive city, particular with the dollar so weak against the pound.

I was in London in the summer of 2005 and slowly but surely those £14.00 fish and chip quick meals for 2 of us began to turn up as $27.00 entries on my credit card bills.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM

My daughter is studying abroad. Tips: Bring at least 2 credit cards and an ATM card. Inform the cards you will be using them out of the country.
My daughter got a reasonable cell phone from piccellwireless.com that gave me peace of mind while she was getting settled. Now that she has the internet we talk for free with Skype.com. I gave pre-addressed, weighed and stamped notecards to family and friends so she will get mail. Have him photocopy his credit cards, driv. lic., passport, etc...and leave copies with his parents. My daughter liked the Lonely Planet guide best because it is geared on the cheap and for young people. Wish him safe journey! And hug his Mom, too. It's a great experience but hard to see them go!!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM

I agree with kybourbon. He might look now at the web pages of Time Out magazine, which tends to address students and people in their twenties. It has useful notes on such residential areas of London as Greenwich and Islington. Then he can buy a copy at his arrival airport. In the same place he can buy for four pounds the small AZ London map and guide, a good map with a good notes on places of interest to visitors. At any tube station he can find a free bus map of central London, and another map called London Connections that shows both tubes and also local railway lines, useful to south London.

He might set Google to these pages.
Transport for London, then click on Explore London, to find notes on the tube, an events diary and a tourist map.

London Lectures Haines to see the plethora of free lectures and meetings on a range of topics, contemporary Greek poetry to string theory in physics. He will hear plenty of lectures by compulsion, but it is a quite different feeling to go to a meeting by choice and join the discussion (and often wine) afterwards.

London walks Haines he will find long and detailed ideas for weekends and so ion.

Not on line, but on disc here, I have notes on other matters: would he please tell me if I should email any or all to him. Subjects are What to see and do on a first, second, and third visit, Lewisham, Meals, Pubs, Labour history in London, and Modern architecture.

Please tell us what he will major in, as we may have ideas on London resources, though of course his tutors will lead here. Again, has he private interest and hobbies ?

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM

I should have said that while he is travelling he can take pen and paper to an internet cafe and look up the Google headings. Or you could do that, and then give him the links

Ben Haines
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 03:24 AM

Find out which of your local banks charge the least for withdrawing money abroad, open an account with them, deposit money there, give son the ATM card.

That way he'll be able to access money easily, his consumption of money noted & emergency top-ups can be done instantly
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:29 PM

The college will probably have some sort of meeting for new students, depending on the college it could be a formal lecture type or an informal get together. The best advice I can give is go to this. It will have loads of advice from both the college and from other students. I've looked at the college website - they look as if they have a lot of students from the US so should be able to help.

It looks a great place to study
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Hmmm... do you think the last poster maybe works for Achina travel? How do we report spam?
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Oh found it and reported to the editors.