Living in London

Search

Living in London

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in London

Hi Everyone! I am leaving to live and work in London on a student work visa and I am going by myself. I am getting a little nervous about going alone and was wondering if anyone else had done something similar. I am open to any and all advice and suggestions about where to live, where to go, what to see and so on. I have never been out of the United States and am a little nervous about being alone in a foreign country. Thanks for the help!!
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:48 AM

My 20 year old son started living in London on a student visa last October. Luckily he was able to secure housing in a school dorm where he met young people from many countries. He loves the fact that he and his friends are so into their school (art and design) that they share ideas and techniques.

Some of the problems he encountered were the banking situation and dealing with the high cost of living there. He had never even been to London before but now he is enjoying it and will be staying another year.
He now is tiring of the congestion, but lives near a park where he can unwind.
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:52 AM

ttraeder; does the place where you are going to be studying help you with finding a place to live? Or do you have to find a place on your own? Housing costs are very high in London. Do you have a budget and any idea of what area you would like to live in?
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:55 AM

If you decide to do the Ripper walk, I recomend emailing London Walks and aksing which nights have the smallest crowds.

Keith
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hope this isn't not a bad form: perhaps you would like to check the UK section of Thorn Tree Forum on www.lonelyplanet.com, as there are many posters under the same situation as yours.
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:31 AM

Are you going through Bunac? If so, they organize lots of get-togethers with other students, and give tons of information on housing, etc.

Well done for planning to do this on your own. You will love it, and the rest of your life will better for having done it. Anyway, London isn't too "foreign"; there are people from all over the world living and working there- you will fit right in.

Best of luck!