Reload this Page >

Semana Santa in Granada?

Search

Semana Santa in Granada?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Carol

Semana Santa in Granada?

Thanks for all the wonderful input and ideas about Spain that readers of this thread have posted! One more question: We will be spending part of Semana Santa (Wed. afternoon through Easter) in Granada this year. (We will be near Priego de Cordoba earlier in the week.) Are there any not-to-be-missed processions, etc.? We have read most of the previous postings on Granada; again, thanks to all of you.<BR>Carol

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Maribel

Carol,<BR>If you read Spanish, you can see the daily program of processions at<BR>http://rachel.ugr.es/~stacena/ssgranada.htm<BR>On the home page, click on <BR>"Horarios e itinerarios", and each day's processions will be listed.<BR><BR>On the www.moebius.es/ggranada<BR>site, they say that the Plaza de las Pasiegas and the Plaza del Carmen are the best vantage points from which to see the processions.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Maribel

Carol,<BR>I forgot! I have a book, "Semanas Santas con encanto", which I bought for my next year's Holy Week in Andalucia, that lists 71 of the most famous/moving/memorable processions of Holy Week throughout Spain, and they're even rated. For Granada, it gives 3 "stars" (actually "hands") to the "Cristo de los Gitanos" procession which begins on Wed. at 9 p.m. and lasts for 12 hrs-a typical all night procession-not the oldest of the them all but the most impressive, says my guide, and the best place to see it is supposed to be on its route along the Carrera del Darro (which goes along the Darro River up to the Albaicin, the Arab quarter) at night, with the Alhambra illuminated in the background.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Carol

Thanks, Maribel, for the information. I can read Spanish reasonably well; my husband speaks and reads it very well; so the websites are of particular interest. Our visit will be much richer because of your input!<BR>Best regards,<BR>Carol

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Maribel

Hi Carol,<BR>You're very welcome. You might also enjoy reading the following:<BR><BR>www.semana-santa.net (in Spanish, with pics and lots of links)<BR><BR>www.cyberspain.com/life/ssanta.htm (a basic primer in English)<BR><BR>http://www.saraphina.com/moseysevill...mana_santa.htm <BR>(a British painter'travelogue, "Step into Semana Santa")<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your time in Priego de Cordoba. I've never visited the city, but Pedro has recommended it often on this board, so I hope to spend a night there, at the Villa Turistica outside of town, on my next Andalusian journey.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Maribel

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Carol

Thanks again, Maribel.<BR>I think you will enjoy Priego. It is a charming town, and there are many small nearby towns also worth a visit. We have not been to the Villa Turistica ourselves. This trip (our second)we will be staying at the nearby Casa de la Higuera, a five-bedroom, three-bath house with pool, since there will be five of us. Their website/email: [email protected] www.casahiguera.com<BR>You might also like to stay in the old barrio de la villa in Priego. Juan Lopez Calvo has a charming house with both rooms and a two bedroom apartment, all at very reasonable prices. <BR>[email protected]<BR>Lastly, also right in town is the Hotel Rafi, [email protected] . We have eaten there, but not stayed there.<BR>Best wishes,<BR>Carol<BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Carol

Oops! I meant Hostal Rafi. http://www.arrakis.es/~htelrafi/ <BR>or www.hostalrafi.es.vg<BR>And the name of Juan Lopez Calvo's house is the Posada Real.<BR>Carol

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Maribel

Hi again Carol,<BR>Thanks for the first hand recs. Casa de la Higuera sounds like a lovely rental. We will now definitely spend a night or two next spring in Priego, and we'll try Juan Lopez Calvo's home in Priego itself. Thanks very much for the urls!