Self Catering? 7 Adults

Search

Self Catering? 7 Adults

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self Catering? 7 Adults

I'm planning my trip to Dublin, Ireland for 2008 and I have no idea how to begin.
We will have 7 adults and we plan on staying in Ireland for 10-13 days. We are thinking of renting a self-catering cottage and then driving to all the places we want to see.
My concerns are:
Can we get a car for 7 people (minivan)?
Will we be disappointed that we are driving everywhere and cannot stay in one place overnight?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:00 AM

You can get a vehicle for that number of people but you won't get their luggage in as well. Realistically you'll need two large vehicles.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
W/ 7 adults I would not get a huge vehicle. For a few reasons 1) they are big and the roads are small, 2) they are more expensive to rent than 2 smaller cars, and 3) you will all be connected at the hip 24/7. W/ 2 cars you can cater to individual interests/body clocks, etc.

As for self catering - I highly recommend it. W/ 13 days you could rent one house for 7 days and then tour around staying in B&Bs the rest of the time.

A well located house in the SW or one up near Galway would be good bases for seeing lots of great things on day trips - returning "home" each night. Then move out of the cottage and tour far and wide during the rest of your time..
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:48 AM

I would definitely recommend doing self-catering in maybe one or two places. Most self-catering places in Ireland rent by the week, but may go shorter term depending on when you plan to travel. Not only will it be cheaper, but if someone isn't feeling well or just wants to "hang by the fire" while others want to go out exploring, then everyone can do what they want.

Two vehicles is also a good idea. It will allow you to split up if interests differ and won't strand anyone left behind. While you may plan to do everything together, I find that traveling with even one other couple can offer up some surprises around expectations, dining needs and general attitude (such as relaxed vs. active or people who just seem to "melt" in the rain and let it ruin their day, etc.).
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM

I, too, highly rec. self catering. Not only does it allow for differing needs of various party members day to day, but it also allows you to "eat in".

The Irish tourist office in New York has a book of selfcatering places. A phone call will get a free copy mailed to you. I went to Gulliver.ie for help in booking one of the times I needed a cottage. You can type in the area and needs and they will spit out a list of places with prices, number of beds and baths, various amenities.

Good luck!