Search

ireland 10days in august 2012 cottage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ireland 10days in august 2012 cottage

Hi Everyone,
Hope you can give us some ideas. Five friends in our mid 60's plan to rent a cottage for one week in County Kerry and two nights elsewhere-just now starting our planning.
Mid August 2012, County Kerry home base, near beach and a town-Dingle and CastleGregory recommended.
We will need a large car -5 of us with luggage. Friend thought we should taxi or bus from airport to cottage then rent car in local town to save $$.
I assume we will fly into shannon -hopefully fares will be less than $1,000 from Boston-will start watching travelocity after Christmas.
What is the best site to rent a cottage thru? I would hate to show up at a cottage and find we were using a bogus website.
Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.
Merry Christmas and Thank you, Karen
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 05:16 AM

You might want to monitor www.farecompare.com to find good airfare deals - they can give you the rates for each day. I also use kayak.com, yapta.com to do my fare research. Shannon is perfect. Renting from the airport is the best way, you will have more of a chance of getting a large vehicle. I highly recommend Dan Dooley - they guarantee the price they quote is the total, no hidden add-ons. A mini-van would work, just remember that the larger the vehicle, the harder it is to park and get through tiny roads. Also, remember to account for the luggage each person has - not so bad if you are staying in one place most of the time.

www.goireland.com is reputable and has lots of offerings. I stayed at a B&B in Kenmare that also has self-caterings, and the folks that run it (Gerry and his wife) are lovely - O'Donnobhain's in Kerry is the B&B.

http://www.odonnabhain-kenmare.com/holiday-homes.php
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you definitely need to pre-book a car and not rely on a small town/village having what you need.

As greendragon says, you will have much more choice at the airport. Getting a vehicle large enough for five is a bit problematic IF any of you take large luggage. Each should be limited to a 21inch rollaboard or similar. And even then, luggage space for five will be tight.

But packing light should be easy since you are staying in one place for a week and will have a washer.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Check out http://www.sceptretours.com/ for best prices - their packages are great - with flights and cars. I would not take a package that includes the B&B's because you must use the B&B's that participate and are listed in a book and you will have to locate them. Definitely get a GPS since it is difficult to read the tiny signs and keep your eye on the road. GPs is also a big help in all the rounadabouts, reminding you which side to turn into and which exit to take. It is unlikely you will find cheap cars without a package or in a small town. I always rent from Dan Dooley.

I could spend an entire week in DIngle. It is a great place to spend some time.

If you use one town as a base, you will find yourself driving out and back to all the sites. Plan that you will mostly be travelling at 35-45 mph and MAPQUEST the distances. Gas is expensive too.

Better to start at one point and then drive to the next site and stay overnight. If this is your fist time to Ireland I would recommend flying into SHannon, head to Connemara peninsula, then down the coast through County Clare to CLiffs of Mohr, head to DIngle, then around RIng of Kerry and up to Killarney then head to Wicklow Mountains (Glendalough) and then to Dublin for a flight out. Have a great time!
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I disagree w/ the advice to pick up and move every day. Especially w/ a group. Your idea of renting a cottage is a terrific way to go. Especially if everyone is not of the same stamina/fitness level. And even if they are all fit --there may be a day or two when one or more of you will want to stay 'home' and either just chill or walk/explore the local village.

i've taken many groups of friends on trips to the UK/Ireland and the easiest/most fun have been the times where we rented a house or flat. A combo of one week in your cottage and a couple of nights touring will most likely be easy/lots of fun.

There is nothing that demands you must run all over trying to cram in every corner of the country.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM

I can think of better bases for a week if you plan on seeing more than just the Peninsular. Kenmare would be a good place for the South West without 4 hours a day on the same roads going somewhere else. Dingle is a small tourist biased fishing village and will not have hire cars available. I believe there is a tour bus from the town which does a 4 hour trip to see the high points of the peninsular.

I would not be heading out to Connamara even as an overnight from Dingle this is a long drive and much as I love the place I could not justify all that travelling for one night in Clifden or Roundstone. Far better to concentrate on your base area.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, we will check out travelocity and kayak for the airfares.
We want to cover one area and staying in a cottage seems to be the best way to save $$ as the airfare seems a bit steep.
Thanks for all the suggestions and a Merry Christmas to all.