Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Selected the WRONG date on Trenitalia Site???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased mini fare tickets last night on the Trenitalia site, and after getting my confirmation, noticed it said the 6th of November instead of the 5th. Will I be able to change this when I get to Italy, or should I call now? I arrive in Venice on the 2nd of November.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 03:58 PM

You will find the inofrmation at the Trenitalia website:

"Booking/ticket changes
All MINI tickets, including tickets purchased online and with ticketless option, can be changed solely at ticket desks at train stations or at the travel agency where the ticket was issued up to midnight of the day before departure. Changes can be made only once. You are only allowed to change the departure date or time for the same category of train or service, subject to a change fee (equal to the difference to the corresponding full base price)."

there is a link to "More information," but got n error when I clicked it.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ellenem, I was so excited to make the purchase, then, crap! Thanks again for the answer.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Just read this on the Ron in Rome site:

# The “MINI” fare will allow only one reservation change, no later than midnight (23:59) PRIOR to the scheduled departure of the original scheduled train. The new reservation must be for the SAME city pairs, on the SAME category of train, with a departure date or time AFTER (not before) the originally scheduled departure. The traveler must pay the difference between the regular fare and the discounted fare. Changes are processed ONLY at manned ticket windows or at the authorized travel agency in Italy which issued the ticket. NO CHANGES ALLOWED VIA THE WEBSITE
# The “MINI” fare can be refunded, with a 50% forfeiture, no later than midnight (23:59) PRIOR to the scheduled departure of the scheduled train. Refunds are processed ONLY at manned ticket windows or at the authorized travel agency in Italy which sold the ticket -Note – There are NO no refunds FOR MINI tickets with a value under 10 Euro..

So I need to change my travel day to the previous day. Which isn't allowed. I'm thinking I should book a new mini fare now, and get the 50 % refund at the terminal. Am I thinking right?
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM
GAC

As I am the author of the above information (on the Ron in Rome site), I should add here an UPDATE that you are now allowed to make reservation changes to electronic tickets which have been purchased on the "LE FRECCE" webpages of the Trenitalia website (but NOT on the regular reservation webpages).

HOWEVER, since you need to travel on an EARLIER-departing train (the previous day), you will regrettably need to request a REFUND of these "MINI" fare tickets (incurring a 50% forfeiture), and then re-book (hopefully at the "MINI" fare as well) on your train of choice.

It may take a while for your credit card to get recredited. Don't be surprised if it takes as long as two months (it happened to me)!

Had you purchased "base" fare tickets (insdead of "MINI" fare tickets) on the LE FRECCE webpages of the Trenitalia site, you should be able to make changes via the website (to an earlier or later departing train) without penalty or surcharge.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
GAC

Sorry for the confusion:

A simple change in reservation (to a different train, but same train category, same class of service and same city pairs) should be allowed via the Trenitalia website for ANY of the fast trains (including the Intercity trains).

A more complex ticket exchange (as opposed to a mere reservation change) is allowed via the website only if the original electronic ticket was booked via the "LE FRECCE" webpages of the website. Otherwise, such changes must be make in person at the rail station or travel agency which issued the ticket.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding. I did find a place on the Trenitalia website to make reservation changes. It wants email, PNR code, and a Cp(reservation change code.)I can't find a CP code on my confirmation. Maybe changing it isn't an option? It's not a lot of money, but it is my money, demmit. I'm not following you on "LE FRECCE" ?
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You might try e-mailing them. Do you think you selected the right date and you received confirmation for a different date?

>>you can request a refund by using the online refund service on this website (only for tickets purchased on this site and for refunds of the full purchase), by calling Trenitalia's Call Center (non-toll free numbers) or by sending an e-mail to [email protected] .<<<
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
GAC

In your particular case, the distinction between the regular reservation webpages and the LE FRECCE webpages (the "FRECCIAROSSA" webpages on the English-language version of the website)is not important: you will be seeking a 50% REFUND of the "MINI" fare tickets purchased for the wrong date, and a new reservation (hopefully at the "MINI" rate) for the correct date.

I would send an e-mail as kybourbon notes above. I think it's unlikely that Trenitalia will waive the forfeiture penalty for the refund of the "MINI" fare tickets, but stranger things have happened.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I was pretty sure I selected the 5th of November, but I obviously scrolled or something. I may have simply selected the wrong date. I tried to respond to the email confirmation, but it rejected. I'll try the email you suggested. Thank you.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you GAC, I've sent an email as kybourbon has suggested.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM

I saw this date changing once.
I selected a date, but it showed me the next day schedule.
Fortunately I was not purchasing anything.
But does anyone know why this happens?
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I haven't received a reply to my email, so I'm a little nervous about trying again. I may just wait til we get to Venice. I did score Scavi Tour tickets today though, so I'm happy!
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Scavi tour entrance has changed. It used to be you entered on the left of the piazza between the Vatican Post Office and the exit area/steps from St. Peter's. There is some construction so you must exit the piazza entirely (on the left hand side about mid-way). Once you exit the piazza, there is a guard station on the right and you will go through a screening there.

Old entrance to go back to the Scavi Office was between 21 & 18. New entrance for screening and to go back is between 11 & 3.
http://saintpetersbasilica.org/Exter...quare-Area.htm
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up kybourbon, I did not know that.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 01:54 PM

hi,

I purchased tickets last night on the Trenitalia site, and after got my confirmation, when i am checking noticed it said the 19th of
August instead of the 18th.I tried to change the tickets from the menu of manage your ticket, but the button is deactive. so i couldnt change it. How can i make it? Will I be able to change this when I get to Italy, or should I call now?
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 10:24 AM

Hi filz,
I have tha same problem as you. I choose a wrong date for my travel, and I cant make the new reservation in the web beacuse the button is deactive. Please, let me know if you can solve this.My email in [email protected]

Thank you in advance.

Greetings

R.
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 01:08 PM

What probably happened is that you selected the right date, but didn't specify the time of day. In that case, the time of day defaults to the actual time on your computer when you make the purchase. If you're buying your ticket at 10 PM, there may be no more trains at that hour, so it will show you trains the next morning, with an asterisk to indicate that they're on the following day.

This happens fairly often, and a number of people have reported that Trenitalia has been willing to issue new tickets if you contact them. The number to call is +39 06 68475475. When someone answers in Italian, say hello and "I speak English". If the person answering can't help, you'll be switched to someone who speaks English. You'll need your PNR, which is printed on the ticket. The call center is open from 7 AM to midnight Italian time, or GMT+1.
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 01:09 PM

By the way, to those who happen upon this thread: everything from 2011 is badly outdated.