Reload this Page >

Seiffen, Germany

Search

Seiffen, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Bonnie

Seiffen, Germany

Does anyone know where Seiffen, Germany is? I saw in a catalogue a lovely woodcarving that has candles beneath an elevated woodland scene. The heat from the candles propels the scene to spin around. It was made in Seiffen, Germany so since I had no luck finding the location on any website, I thought I would ask on this forum.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Here

Kurort Seiffen (Kurort is German for spa) is in eastern Germany, very close to the Czech border. Chemnitz (former Karl-Marx-Stadt) and Dresden are the closest big cities.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Connie

Bonnie, <BR><BR>You can find some other information at<BR>www.seiffen.de<BR>It's all in German, but there are some beautiful photos as well.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Jinx Hoover

Seiffen is a Christmas shopper's delight. Most of the eight trillion ornaments and figures at Europe's Christmas markets are made in Seiffen. The small village is located about an hour south of Dresden.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Jinx Hoover

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Ingo

Hi,<BR><BR>the above posters are correct.<BR><BR>&quot;a lovely woodcarving that has candles beneath an elevated woodland scene. The heat from the candles propels the scene to spin around&quot; - we call it &quot;Pyramide&quot;. There are fantastic woodcarvings like nutcrackers, &quot;smokers&quot; (they really blow smoke out of their mouth!) and much more.<BR><BR>BTW, I will be there next week and add one or two pieces to my collection ... I hope we will get some snow. That makes the village still more romantic. Awfully crowded, though, I am afraid.<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Glenn

Bonnie, Seiffen is one of my favorite places in Germany. We went there during Advent a few years ago. It snowed very lightly for the entire 2 days that we were. The street is lined with stores selling their different wooden items. One thing that we bought was a bogen. A wooden arch with cut outs in the middle of differnt figures or a scene. You then put lights on the &quot;steps&quot; on the side of them and put them in you windows at Christmas time. A bit off the trail but a worthy trip.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:34 PM
CharlieB

Bonnie - though I have never been to Seiffen I do know that it is considered in Germany to be the number 1 site for wooden Christmas ornaments. It is in the middle of the Erzgebirge or &quot;Ore Mountains&quot; south of Dresden. It is famous for its Schwimmboden - wooden arches illuminated by either candles or electric lights. If you buy the ones with electic lights you will need an adapter so that it will work on American current. These are available at Brookstone. What you describe is a &quot;Pyramid&quot; that looks like a pagoda with a propellor at the top fueled by the heat of candles. We are the proud owner of two schimmboden (because of ease of transport) which have become part of our cherished Christmas decorations