Segovia to Toledo? (bis!)

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Darcie

Segovia to Toledo? (bis!)

Hello

I accidentally posted this message last night in the main Europe forum so I am re-posting
here. Apologies for any repetition!

We're heading to Spain next month for 16-17 days and I'm just finishing up our plans. We start with three nights in Madrid, we are planning Segovia (1 night) and Toledo (1 night) before heading down to Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, Granada.

Most of the info I can find on Segovia and Toledo involves day trips from Madrid and we would really like to stay the night in each place. I am having some difficulty deciding on transportation. It seems that the easiest way to go would be to drive, but where to drop the rental car? If we plan on taking the train down to Cordoba it seems awkward to drive all the way back into Madrid to do so. If we drive to Cordoba we'll incur another day's charge for overlapping the "24 hour" period by a couple of hours.

Does anyone know about the bus service from Segovia to Toledo? We could take the bus from Toledo back into Madrid and from there take the train down to Cordoba.

Thanks for your help!

Darcie

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Maribel

Darcie,
There is no direct train/bus service from Segovia to Toledo. By bus you would need to take the La Sepulvedana from Segovia to Madrid, then the Continental Galiano bus (from a different bus station) from Madrid to Toledo.
For the train run Segovia-Toledo, you'd need to change trains at Atocha station in Madrid.
If you want to use public transportation and avoid a rental car, you could spend your first night in Madrid, take a "La Sepulvedana" bus to Segovia from Paseo de la Florida #11, next to Hotel Florida Norte (metro: Príncipe Pío, grey circular line #6, when you come out of metro station, you’ll see bus station across the street in front of you) Hourly departures. Trip takes about 1 hr 15 min. The service is express-no intermediate stops. Pleasant, short walk from bus station to Aqueduct.
Then come back to your Madrid hotel for the next two nights, then on the 4th day, depart Madrid for Toledo by train from Atocha station. Make sure you take the Regional Express. Check www.renfe.es Currently there is a departure at 8:30 a.m. (another at 10:14) Trip by train takes 1 hr. 15 min Spend the day and night in Toledo. Then the next morning you'd need to take the train back to Atocha station in Madrid (departure at 10 which takes just under an hr.), and catch the noon AVE, which will zip you down to Cordoba in 1 hr. 40 min.
There's also an earlier train at 8:25 which gets to Atocha at 9:30 to catch the 10 a.m. AVE to Cordoba.
But please recheck www.renfe.es before you leave.

Or spend your first 3 nights in Madrid,
next morning take the Sepulvedana bus to Segovia, spend your night there, then take Regional Express train back to Atocha station which departs Segovia at 8:55 and arrives Atocha at 10:36, then Regional Express to Toledo, departing at 12:12, arriving at 1:25, which honestly wouldn't leave you enough time to see the treasures of Toledo that afternoon before their closing at 6:30 because all sites religiously observe the siesta between 1:30-3-3:30. Just as you arrive in Toledo, the monuments would close for siesta. You'd need to do your remaining sightseeing the next morning before heading back to Madrid to catch the AVE to Cordoba.

If you pick up a rental car as you head out of Madrid on your 4th day, you can drive to Segovia in a little over an hr. then the next day drive Segovia -Toledo, circumventing Madrid on the M 40 beltway. This should take about 2 hrs. Add 2 more hrs. if you decide to stop at the Monastery of El Escorial in route. As another poster said, the trip from Segovia through Avila to Toledo is a much, much longer affair-with sightseeing in Avila, about 5 hrs.

Hope this helps you to decide.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Darcie

Maribel,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply! This is what I suspected, but it is great to have the confirmation.

I think we'll do the car rental, pickup and return at Atocha.

Regards,
Darcie

PS I read in another post you have a Madrid file... if you see this reply, would you mind emailing me a copy?
Thx!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Paulo

Darcie,

Wouldn't you consider keeping the car and returning it in Cordoba? The direct, non stop drive from Toledo to Cordoba (over Madridejos and Valdepeñas) should take around 3 1/2 hours. How long would it take you to drive to Madrid, fightthe traffic to Attocha station, turn the car in, wait for the AVE, etc? On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if the car turns out cheaper either. If you keep the car, along with the flexibility it gives you (you may leave Toledo when you feel like, not tied to a train schedule) you'd have the bonus of visiting some of D. Quixote's country (like the windmills in Consuegra, having lunch in Puerto Lapice, etc).

Paulo

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Maribel

Darcie,
There you go! I really like Paulo's idea-that way you'd be able to experience the heart of La Mancha, the land of Don Quijote. The windmills of Consuegra are a number #1 photo op, and there's wine tasting in Valdepenas and the typical Manchegan inn at Puerto Lapice. Then take the AVE from Cordoba to Seville.
Wise plan, I think...
I'll be glad to send my Madrid file.
Wishing you wonderful Spanish adventures,
Maribel

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Darcie

Thanks, that does sound better. I asked my travel agent to book a car to drop off in Cordoba.

A quick question -- I have read that there usually isn't a drop-off charge for car rental in Spain, but it seems that when I get price quotes they often include a "you may have to pay a drop-off charge" statement, but no details.

What car rental agency do people have experience with, and do they charge a drop-off?

Thanks again!
Darcie