Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My plans for Greece May 2001: would like hotel, island advise.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Monica

Hi everyone, <BR> <BR>Well, I've been reading about the various islands and have decided for our two week trip to Greece is to fly into Athens for 2 days, then head out to the islands, maybe an overnight boat to Santorini?? We want to hit Santorini and Mykonos (with a 1/2 tour to Delos). I know we can fit one more island and I'm interested in Paros or Naxos. <BR> <BR>I would love to hear your comments on these islands (esp. Paros and Naxos). <BR> <BR>Also, I would like to know which hotels you stayed in on these islands (as well as Athens; Attalos and Acropolis seem to be popular choices). I prefer inexpensive hotels (under $100 per night) with private bathroom. Would love to have a sea view, so am willing to pay a little more if needed. <BR> <BR>Thank you very much!!! <BR> <BR>Monica <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Thyra

Hi Monica! Well we stayed at both the Attalos and the Acropolis view and they were both wonderful, Attalos was the less expensive of the two and was a point or two upscale in terms of presentation and true to it's name the room did have an outstanding viewof the Acropolis. Attalos was also a wonderful hotel with very nice employees and a couple of the rooms also have an Acropolis view, but they must be requested in advance. In terms of the Plaka access Attalos was definately the winner as it was only a 4 minute walk away. The Acropolis view was on the otherside of the hill. <BR>About the islands many people will recommend Oia as a better(*less commercial) place to stay. However we enjoyed Fira (night life and all that) and had a terrific room on the Caldera including b-fest and transfer for around $70.00 per night in October this year. I would highly recommend the Loucas the view brought tears to my eyes it was so lovely. Nice pool also and friendly staff. We ended up flying to the islands for time and price so I can't comment on the ferry. We took the tour to Delos please make sure you get with a guide it adds so much to it, we ended up gloming onto another tour group and really enjoying it. The ferries leave throughout the day, and are very inexpensive. I would not recommend the hotel we stayed at on Mykonos since it had no sea view (nice staff though). On Santorini we took a day tour that took you to a local winery, up to the highest point on the island, to the diggings at Ankotiri and to the black sand beach for a swim. Unfortunately there was nothing telling us to take our bathing suites so we enjoyed laying around on beach chairs trapped on land. If you take a tour bring that bathing suit! Bon Voyage!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Thyra

Sorry Monica, my opening paragraph was a little unclear... Acropolis View is a point or two upscale of the Attalos, though both hotels were very nice and I would stay at either again.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:07 PM
elvira

We spent a week in Naxos a couple of years ago (rented small house) in September. Pretty harbor, incredible scenery, a couple of kouros, nice beaches. Save your water bottles and fill up at the olive oil station; they make a liqueur from lemons called kitron (it makes yummy adult lemonade); beautiful jewelry. Good restaurants (especially the little roadside places).

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Monica

Thanks Thyra and Elvia for your comments. I'll have to check out Loucas. I spent the day on the internet (3 hours) looking for hotels on these 4 islands. Lots to choose from, but want to pick them based on recommendations from others. <BR> <BR>I'd love to do the wine tour on Santorini. How did you hook up with the tour? <BR> <BR>Thyra, what exchange rate did you get while in Greece? <BR> <BR>Elvira, is the Kitron similar to Limoncello of Naples, Italy? I make Limoncello and home and LOVE it! <BR> <BR>Can we get around these islands by bus? Or do we need to rent a car? I don't really want to if there is good public transportation. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Sheila

Monica <BR> <BR>I can't answer your questions directly (unless you divert to Crete) but I sumbled on this web site, and other than that the guy is somewhat full of himself, you may find it helpful <BR> <BR>http://www.greektravel.com/index.html

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Susan

Like many others, we also stayed at the Attalos in Athens. Good deal for a budget hotel and the location can't be beat. <BR> <BR>I really enjoy Naxos - the beaches are great and the port town is fascinating. There are lots of Venetian homes with the crests over the doors dating from the 16 and 17 Century. We spent an afternoon exploring the old town. We also rented a car and drove to Apirathos, a town that is almost all marble. We have some wonderful pictures of old wooden doors. This was my second trip to Naxos (the first in the 70's) and it definitely lived up to my memories. We stayed at the Hotel Grotta, which is just on the outskirts of the main town. It was very reasonable ($60 CAD for 2 people - that would be about $40 USD). The only disadvantage was that it was a little noisy because of the marble area between the buildings. <BR> <BR>I wasn't crazy about Santorini. It is stunning, but it really doesn't feel very Greek. Lots of tourists. I stayed near Akrotiri which was very quiet, but we rented a car and drove to Oia and Fira. Oia was overrun with tourists at sunset (and frankly, the sunset in Naxos was just as good). I personally felt we had 1 or 2 days too long in Santorini (we were there 4). I would have preferred another day in Athens (yes, I'm one of those odd people who actually enjoyed Athens). <BR> <BR>Greece is wonderful and I'm sure you'll have a good trip whatever you chose.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Robin

Since you've have some comments about Naxos (which I have also heard is great), I'll throw some in about Paros. It was one of my favorite places. We were sailing, so we arrived in Paroikia, which is okay. But we rented a car for a day and drove to Naoussa (charming little fishing village-- maybe slightly over the top in picturesque-ness, but great just the same!) and then into the hills to a village whose name escapes me, but which is near an old Roman road. It was totally different-- quiet and peaceful. We also visited the home/studio of a ceramicist who does beautiful work. I'll check my notes for names, if you like. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I highly recommend Paros, but especially (maybe only) if you get a car or a scooter and go exploring!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:28 PM
April

I don't know about the other islands but buses got us everywhere we wanted to go on Santorini.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Paulo

Were I to travel to Greece in May, Monica, I would play it completely by ear. I would reserve the hotel for my first and last (day before departure) night in Athens, and would take it from there. I can't see why one should commit oneself when travelling in May. All you have to do is to have a list of recommended hotels in each of the islands you may wish to visit and choose in person. You may even change hotels in the same island if you find a better property while you're there (or you may use a 2nd hotel offer as leverage to lower the rates at the hotel you're in).<BR><BR>Get to Athens, relax, see what your transportation options to Santorini are and move on when you feel like it. Once there's daily ferry service between Santorini/Naxos, Naxos/Paros and Paros/Mykonos, you don't have to worry. When you feel it's time to depart Santorini to the next island just pick up your things and go. It's very difficult to determine how long one's supposed to stay in a particular place based on opinions of other. There are people that with 2 nights in Santorini have had enough. Fore some people a week isn't enough!<BR><BR>Regarding transportation in the islands you may use the same approach. We started off in Santorini with public transportation. We then decided that a car would work out better for us (and it did). The point is that renting a minicar (there were 4 of us and it worked ok) is not a big deal. You don't need reservations, there's no bureaucracy (it takes 10 minutes to rent a car) and you shouldn't pay more than about $40/day if you don't take the first deal that's offered. (that was our average with rentals in Santorini and Rhodos). <BR><BR>Paulo<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Barbara

Monica, in July 1999 we went to Athens (2 days was good there to see Acropolis, views and open markets), Santorini, Paros, Mykonos, in that order. I'll have to check my records for names of hotels, all of which were great. We used an agent at Amphiterian (I'm sure I spelled it wrong but it was something like that -- I can check on that too) and they met us at every stop and made sure got got to where we were supposed to go without any trouble. Santorini was lovely and very much fun. Favorite by far was Paros -- it was heavenly, and from there took a sail across to Naxos (not a great idea -- very rough water); Mykonos was not so great -- it seemed to be a vacation place for the very glamourous, young and rich of Europe, which wasn't a great didn't sit well with us 40-something Americans. However, we did go to Delos from Mykonos which was worth it. We took hydrofoil between islands, which worked out fine, and then flew from mykonos back to athens.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Monica

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and comments. I was hoping to hear strong comments (between Paros and Naxos) on one island over the other so I can choose. Both sound great! <BR> <BR>Paulo, is May considered “low” season? My Frommer’s book (it’s a 1999 guidebook – the next one comes out 15 April) mentions low and high season, but does not clarify which months are low season. If May is low season, I agree with you that I could just relax and make my reservations and plans as we move along our trip. I think it would be more enjoyable to have that flexibility when traveling around the islands. <BR> <BR>Barbara, yes, I would like the information on the hotels you enjoyed while on your trip. You mentioned how you liked/disliked the islands you visited with the exception of Naxos. How did you like it? We do want to visit Delos for a ½ day trip. It seems that most islands have something to offer and not just a beach scene. I want to do a little of everything. <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Paulo

The Greek islands are really packed from mid July through mid September. The 1st half of July and 2nd of September are considered middle/shoulder season and June/October, low season in most hotels. A few hotels aren't even open yet, in May! Of course, if you look around in the net, you'll realize that policies change from hotel to hotel but the 1st half of May should be considered low season in at least 95% of them, and the 2nd half of May should at most be shoulder season.<BR><BR>See for yourself, for instance, at<BR>http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/santorin/imerovig/home.htm<BR><BR>We went in the 1st half of July and Santorini wasn't packed yet. I'm sure we would have had a hotel rate at least 25% lower if we had showed up and negotiated on the spot <BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Bill Barr

Further to Paulo's comments it may be worth mentioning that over at least two weekends in May every year Greek students travel to Mykonos to celebrate the end of their university/college term. <BR> <BR>When we visited at that time last year a friend there estimated that over each weekend at least 5,000 students arrived off the ferries. Those lads and lassies tend not to travel out of Mykonos town so be warned that it gets pretty crowded and noisy there. We didn't sleep much! <BR> <BR>If you intend to visit Mykonos in May 2001 I recommend that you try and arrange to be there mid-week as accommodation during those weekends may be a problem i.e. those hotels that are open are normally full. <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Thyra

Monica, I will go home tonight and try to find the name of the tour company we took around Santorini. I must say that our guide really knew her stuff and kept up a running commentary in English throughout the tour and in Ankotiri as well. We got the tickets the night before at a tour office on the main street in Fira. Pretty easy to find, but I will try to get the exact name. It was not terribly expensive either, I don't remember the exact price but I remember thinking it was very affordable.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Theodora

Hi Monica, <BR> <BR>I too am planning to visit the islands of Santorini and Myconos after visiting Crete. One thing to consider is that the ferry to Myconos from Santorini does not leave daily. I checked a website for a rough idea of the schedule and found that it leaves on Thursdays and Sundays. The ferry from Naxos to Myconos leaves on the same dates as well.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Teri

I visited Santorini in Sept 1997, and it was beautiful. Athens was nice, although very dirty. There are two different ferries that take you down to the islands, one is a 10 hr trip to Santorini, and the high speed boat is about 6 1/2 hrs or so. Oia is really nice - it's exactly what you would picture Greece to be - windy cobblestone roads, with small ethnic shops along the way. <BR>We only stayed on one island for about 8 days, which was a little too long. You should try and visit one island every few days. I hear Rhodes is the most beautiful island.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Barbara

Monica, I can't say anything about Naxos -- we sailed there and back and didn't see anything -- everyone too green from rough seas. Everything else was great. Athens, 2 nights Electra Palace, Santorini 3 nights Villa Chromata -- built into the side of the cliffs, 3 nights Astir of Paros, was outstanding, Hotel Santa Marina in Mykonos was also beautiful but we didn't love Mykonos (half day tour of Delos from there was enjoyable), and then one night at Hotel Fenix (actually, a Best Western!) near Athens airport. we rented a car in Paros and Mykonos and drove all around the islands, different beaches and hikes every day. Hotel, ferries, transfers, car rental, half day tours in Athens and Delos, for two, about $4,000. Travel agency Amphitryon, was terrific. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Paulo

Regarding ferries, Theodora and Monica, one has to wait and see what happens. Ferry frequency in winter has always beem pretty low. <BR><BR>In May last year there was a daily catamaran service from Rafina to Mykonos and to Santorini (via Paros and Naxos) and back, besides the car ferry between Santorini and Mykonos (calling at Naxos and Paros) twice a week.<BR><BR>Since, there was a major shookup in the Greek ferry scene:<BR><BR>a) Minoan Flying Dolphins bought roughly 1/3 of the Greek ferry fleet and is now operating under two flags: Minoan Flying Dolphins with the fast boats and Helas Ferries with the car ferries;<BR><BR>b) the sinking of the Hellas Ferries Express Samina (ex Golden Vergina aquired by Minoan Flying Dolphins) may have a bearing on the ferry scene this year because of millionaire law suits (and eventual arrest of assets meaning ships docked); also, after the ferry sinking, the Greek Government suspended 65 ferries for not complying with fire safety regulations; though most of these ferries are back in service, some are obliged to shorter routes<BR><BR>Nobody knows yet what Minoan Flyng Dolphins/Hellas Ferries will be doing this year from mid spring on, into the high season<BR><BR>Monica will certainly have no problems getting to Santorini and from there on to both, Naxos and/or Paros. From Naxos/Paros to Mykonos it remains to be seen what the frequency will be ... one more reason to have a flexible program <BR><BR>Paulo

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:40 AM
Monica

Thanks again to everyone who has responded! <BR> <BR>Theodora, I had called the Greece National Tourist office in NYC and the gentleman told me to check their web site for ferry schedules. Which web site are you using? I would like to have it so I can figure out which islands to visit first. I wanted to do an overnight to Santorini, but seems like a lot of people say to arrive in the day to enjoy the view. Is this true? Maybe I could start with the other islands and end up on Santorini and boat or fly back to Athens. <BR> <BR>Thanks Bill for the information on the Greek students. I’ll definitely keep that in mind and plan to visit Santorini during the week. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -