Reload this Page >

Segovia to Salamanca

Search

Segovia to Salamanca

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Myer

Segovia to Salamanca

Still tinkering.<BR><BR>Any idea how to get from Segovia to Salamanca by train?<BR><BR>It appears to be one of thos things you cannot do unless you go back to Madrid and start over. <BR><BR>Am I missing something?<BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 01:11 PM
jahoulih

I believe you're correct about the train. It's a little more direct by bus, though it still takes about three hours.<BR><BR>http://www.auto-res.net/Datos/Follet...ca-Segovia.pdf

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 01:32 PM
jahoulih

Actually I find you can change at Villalba, about a half hour outside Madrid. This works out to be almost as quick as the bus - e.g., leave Segovia at 12:55, get to Villalba at 13:57, leave at 14:16 and reach Salamanca at 16:25.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Myer

Bad idea.<BR><BR>I guess if I did something like that I'd be better off on a tour.<BR><BR>Back to tinkering.<BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Maira

Myer, why aren't you driving?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Maribel

Myer,<BR>I thought you were planning Madrid-Avila by train, then train from Avila-Salamanca. The Madrid-Segovia could be done as a day trip, either by train from the Chamart&iacute;n station or by La Sepulvedana bus. I go to Segovia by bus because it's a nice walk from the bus station there to the aqueduct. Assigned seats, express service with no stops, not your average Greyhound, very pleasant ride.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Myer

Wow!! Both Maira and Maribel on consecutive replies. I am truly honored (or is it honoured. I guess it depends upon where you're from).<BR><BR>Maira, we've never rented a car in Europe. Always travelled by train. Try to avoid buses as one of us tends to motion sickness.<BR><BR>Last spring one of us stayed in Sorrento shopping for the day while the other took the bus to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello (see photos at www.travelwalks.com). We went to Positano the next day by boat.<BR><BR>I'm considering a car for a future trip to Italy.<BR><BR>Maribel, as I started my thread with 'Still tinkering' that's what I'm doing.<BR><BR>I was checking on the practicality of skipping Avila and going to Salamanca from Segovia. That doesn't appear to work. Actually Segovia isn't on the itinerary. <BR><BR>I'm looking at limiting the day trips so that we're not constantly running to and from locations.<BR><BR>I'm also tinkering with the thought of dropping the extra day in Sevilla (2 1/2 days plus day for Cordoba plus day for Carmona or just hanging) and maybe or maybe not dropping another in Madrid area (that could impact the Salamanca overnight). This would permit a couple of days in Barcelona. The flight would work out fine as we could return to Madrid from Barcelona the morning we return to the U.S.<BR><BR>I think my wife wants to wait and see 'what happens' before nailing down anything. As you know the last trip became a victim of Sept '01.<BR><BR>Actually I did book one hotel. I saw a drop in price for Carlos V in Madrid so booked it. 95E including tax and full breakfast for a double (queen)(early June '03). That was 40E lower than I had been seeing it.<BR><BR>Still tinkering.<BR><BR>Thanks again your input is invaluable.<BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Maribel

Hi Myer,<BR>Tinker away! I'm sorry I forgot about your mentioning motion sickness in your other post and wanting to avoid the bus. Did remember that you never rent, you always train, though. <BR>It seems you're trying to decide between breadth vs depth. In your 2 weeks, to pack in more of the country by adding Barcelona or to focus on the heartland of Spain, Castile, and Moorish Spain, Andalusia, in in greater detail.<BR>The first trip requires a bit of &quot;skimming&quot; and cutting to make Bcn fit, the second gives you an opportunity to &quot;delve&quot;. It depends on which is a higher priority for you.<BR>The 3 World Heritage Cities of Castilla-Le&oacute;n-Salamanca, Avila and Segovia are all 3 most worthy of exploration, but then so is Barcelona, one of the most popular cities in Europe (but not &quot;typically Spanish&quot and the capital of the vibrant and very distinct region of Catalunya.<BR>If you have southwestern France, Languedoc and Roussillon in your travel plans at some future date, you could easily include Barcelona as an extension but if not...<BR>This decision, of course, depends on your travel style, your interests-many factors. <BR>Have fun tinkering and fire away with your questions while doing so. I shall remember you're still twinking your itinerary and that it's a work in progress!<BR><BR>p.s. That's an excellent rate that you've found for the Carlos V. Did you find it through an internet booking site or through Best Western?<BR>Regards,<BR>Maribel<BR><BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Myer

Maribel,<BR><BR>I found it through BestWestern.com.<BR><BR>I just tried it again before replying here and it still comes up at that price for early June.<BR><BR>Strangely the AARP price is 130E. <BR><BR>Can even cancel by 6PM on date of arrival. The joys of BestWestern if you can find what you want.<BR><BR>I will continue to tinker but keep going back to previous plans that include Carmona and Salamanca.<BR><BR>In the past our style has been to spend less time indoors and walk the city or town. You can probably see that by our photos. My wife also likes to shop (or browse).<BR><BR>In Rome the only indoor visit was the Vatican Museum (had been there 20 years before). Of course we walked into places like the Pantheon but not really other museums.<BR><BR>In fact, on our last trip to Paris ( only there for 2 days) we passed on the Louvre and D'Orsay (had been to both a few years earlier) to walk areas we hadn't been to (Marais, Luxmeberg Gardens, etc).<BR><BR>I don't really see Soutwest France on the horizon. I do see Paris (we're originally from Montr&eacute;al so it's time again), Brussels (never been) and that area. Also, maybe try driving the towns between north of Rome and south of the Italian Riviera. Could bypass Florence (been there a couple of times).<BR><BR>I really appreciate your input with my tinkering.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>