Seeking Waterloo tour from Brussels

Jul 4th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Seeking Waterloo tour from Brussels

We are touring some other battlefields, with some of the trips lasting 12+ hours. For some reason, the 4 hour Waterloo tour from Brussels comes at an astonishing price of $900, way more than any other tour we are taking. It looks like this tour is limited to certain days of the week, hence the price, perhaps. Does anyone have recommendations for a more reasonable tour? Can it be done on one's own by public transport? Thanks!
Jul 4th, 2019, 11:07 PM

I can't comment on tours but I know it is (was many years ago) cumbersome getting there by bus because of the travel times (some buses only go once an hour). I don't know if $900 is worth it though, that is a massive amount of money. Can you get a private driver rather than a tour guide?

Lavandula
Jul 4th, 2019, 11:17 PM

A quick search threw up several tours. You could try this one for example. I have no experience with them, we went by car and did it ourselves.
https://waterloobattlefieldguide.com/
Jul 5th, 2019, 12:41 AM

Take bus line "W" from Brussels Midi station to Braine L'Alleud Route de Nivelles bus stop.
And walk appr. 10 minutes or bit less to the "Lion".
https://www.infotec.be/published/Doc...document=10926
Buses depart every 15-20 minutes on weekdays or every 30 minutes on sundays from Brussels Midi, and cost € 3.50 per person/ per ride.
Tickets are available from the driver.

Departure times vary by season (MON-FRI school season, SAT, SUN +holidays, vacations, summer vacations)
When you know your exact date of travel, you must look up the timetable that fits that date.
Jul 5th, 2019, 02:22 AM

900 dollars must be a typo. 90 dollars sounds right, if still expensive. I'd write/call this tour guide and verify the price.
Jul 7th, 2019, 07:18 AM

Forget the bus. Take train to braine l alleud and from there a bus or walk - about 30 min or take a taxi there (best call in advance - several taxi companies available just google it).
There are also trains to waterloo but the station is farther away since the battle took place at braine l alleud.