Amsterdam/Brussels Day Tour

Aug 4th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Richard

Amsterdam/Brussels Day Tour

Am going to Amsterdam for a Week. Would like information on a day tour to Brussels. Prices, names of tour companies, and comments.
Thanks to all!

Aug 4th, 2002, 04:25 PM
RomyNL

Why not just to take a train and in 2.5 hrs you are in Brussels. There's not so much to see though: central square, upper part with museums and royal palace. I would recommend Antwerpen instead of Brussels.

Aug 4th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Richard, Brussels is an E-Z trip from Amsterdam and you won't need a tour company. Here's what to do, as taught to me by the incomparable BTilke of Fodor's board fame. I did it and it works...

First, you might want to consider the Thalys train. There are a number of destinations for the Thalys and some would argue that Brussels should not be your first choice, but rather the popular city of Bruges in Belgium. I offer Brussels because it is a straight shot, making it convenient for a day trip. Once you begin adding stops and transfers, travel may begin to eat up too much time to make it a practical one-day experience.

To get a look at the Thalys itself, go to: www.thalys.com. You can view fares and itineraries for the Thalys and other European rail itineraries at: www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm, where you can also purchase tickets online.

It's true that you can get certain fares more cheaply in Europe, but you will be risking whether or not you can get the exact itinerary you want if you wait -- so that's the trade-off.

The Thalys will take to you to Gare du Midi in Brussels and you can catch the Brussels metro system right from the station. A one-day pass will cost you only a few Euros. Don't fool around in the Midi station neighborhood; it's a little on the seedy side and pickpocketing/purse-snatching incidents are not uncommon.

To get to the Grand Place (regarded by some as the most beautiful city square in the world and justifiably so), grab a metro map and take the Number 1 line (Direction Simonis) out of the Midi station, making a tranfer to the Number 1B line (Direction Bizet) at Arts-Loi Kunst-Wet. Getting off at De Brobskere will leave you in the general neighborhood of the bourse. Once there, you can walk the picturesque cobblestone streets to your heart's desire and you will never run out of restaurants, stores and boutiques to check out.

Look for the tower the church that forms one side of the town square. That line of tourists heading down the little side street will take you right to the extremely famous -- (and who knows why?) -- statue of the little boy relieving himself. To make the best use of your time, pick up a tourist guide for Brussels before you go and study the map.

The neighborhood in the Louise metro stop area (just three stops up from Midi Station on the Number 2 line) is also interesting, although much different than the main, old city centre. Brussels is definitely NOT Paris, but it is an interesting, beautiful city in its own right.

Happy Contrails!

Aug 21st, 2002, 11:02 AM
DellVecc

I did the same thing in March of 2000. Call the Belgium tourist office in NY and ask them to send you a travel packet. They sent me a map of a few differnt walking tours and we spent about 6 hours in Brussels and we had a great time.

Jan 24th, 2005, 02:23 PM

I've noticed that whenever anyone asks about a tour, most responders say 'oh no take the train'. Maybe the poster PREFERS a motorcoach tour. I know I do.

I love having the bus pick me up at my hotel and it's all taken care of. I dont have to worry about getting to the train station, making sure I get on the right train (which can be confusion and a huge pain depending on the city), making the right connections if any.

I did a bus tour from montreal to quebec city recently and loved it. 3 hrs each way but it definitely didn't feel that long. I had plenty of free time once I got there and got dropped off at my hotel door. Some of us like things as simple as possible when we're on vacation, plus you get a guided tour of the city once you get there AND alone time as well.

Richard a number of companies have trips to brussels and bruges including Grayline and Holland International. I'm considering one to bruges when I go to Amsterdam in April. Frommers lists the tour companies on it's Web site.
Jan 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Beanie: Richard asked his question 2 1/2 years ago -- seriously doubt he is still looking for the answer. How far did you have to go to dig up this old thread?
Jan 24th, 2005, 02:45 PM

Janis I dont look at dates. I type in the subject I'm interested in and read. Since Bruges and Brussels are still around 3 years later (wow shocking isn't it?), and there are still trains and tour companies going to them from Amsterdam (still MORE shocking), what difference does it make?

Maybe it's too late for Richard but I'm sure there are plenty of other people who might find the info helpful.

Why do messages boards bring out all the worst know it alls?
Jan 24th, 2005, 09:24 PM

I only mentioned that because you specifically addressed your response to him.

"Richard a number of companies have trips to brussels and bruges . . . . . "
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:43 PM

Janis - what does it matter if Beanie posted to a thread dated 02/15/05 or 02/15/85? We're here to learn from eachother and gather advice - not offer our commentary on others' posting habits.
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:53 PM
lyb

Janis,

For what it's worth...I agree with you because the response was addressed directly to the original poster...if it had been a general response, I don't think you would have asked the question.
Mar 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM

It brought out you didn't it Beanie! Talk about know it all's.WHY..do you leave your house?I am positive that wherever you go no one likes you.Cause even on a message board they don't.