Seeking recommendations for a special chambre d'hote or gite in the Cote d'Or

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2023, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings. I will be traveling with my 91 year old dad this July in France and Switzerland. From Paris, we wish to spend 3 nights in the Cote d'Or leisurely taking in the countryside before we head to Bern to meet friends. I have not chosen a particular village for our base but am finding myself drawn to Semur-en-Auxois. We want to take short drives during the day to explore other villages, enjoy leisurely lunches and short walks. Perhaps take in a small museum or two.

For accommodations, I would love a local property of charm and character with either 2 bedrooms, or at least 2 separate sleeping areas. Otherwise, we will look for 2 separate rooms. I am hoping for a property where breakfast is included, or where we can purchase groceries to make our own continental sort.

Have you stayed anywhere in the region that you just loved that might meet our criteria? Thank you so much for your recommendations.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 09:17 AM

I don't have a personal rec, but I did look on gites-de-france.com and I see there's a nearby gite in Epoisses, one of the most famous cheeses in France. Of course there is a fromagerie/producer with a shop in the village, a boulangerie which features breads with epoisses and lardons, as well as a couple of restaurants. The gite is located near the chateau.

There are others in the area as well. Here is the result of gites near Semur-en-Auxois. This is not by availability because you would have to input your dates. Once you do that, you can see which places are still available.

https://www.gites-de-france.com/en/s...&seed=69163400

Last edited by shelemm; Mar 30th, 2023 at 09:22 AM.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cravant is a little further north but is a pretty special little place with Auxerre, St Bris, Irancy and Chablis just to the north
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you shelemm and bilboburger.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About 10 years ago, driving thru Burgundy, we stumbled upon a village (I've never since seen its name on this forum) where they were restoring a 1,0000 year old church that had old un-retouched frescoes on the wall. A local said the French gov't was restoring it. Village was perched upon a bluff, facing west over a valley.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by tomboy
About 10 years ago, driving thru Burgundy, we stumbled upon a village (I've never since seen its name on this forum) where they were restoring a 1,0000 year old church that had old un-retouched frescoes on the wall. A local said the French gov't was restoring it. Village was perched upon a bluff, facing west over a valley.
Burgundy is rich frescoes, many in tiny spots. Since restoration work can take many years (even decades) it would be hard to pinpoint which one you are talking about. Do you remember what route you were on at the time? Going from where to where?

Old Mar 31st, 2023, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without looking back in scrapbooks, etc, no. It might have been near Taize.